Provincial Parks

If it's less than 32? Kg and flown for hobby it's considered to be not an UAV but a model aircraft. Not an aircraft. You may ask for a permission to fly that.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes, 35kg. That is a very good point. It is considered a model aircraft....but still an aircraft. Yet another example of how murky the regulation waters are here in Canada at the moment. Even TC themselves are inconsistent and confused around their own regulations. It's an exciting time! =)

I believe it would be tough for a Park warden to fine any hobbyist flying in a respectable manner at this point. I'd bet on a warning and a request to land. That's it.

Yes, 35kg. That is a very good point. It is considered a model aircraft....but still an aircraft. Yet another example of how murky the regulation waters are here in Canada at the moment. Even TC themselves are inconsistent and confused around their own regulations. It's an exciting time! =)

I believe it would be tough for a Park warden to fine any hobbyist flying in a respectable manner at this point. I'd bet on a warning and a request to land. That's it.

I knew posting the reply would open 'pandoras box' to everyones own interpretation.TC Staff Instruction SI# 623-001, which is guideline for reviewing/processing SFOC requirements also defines (under terminology) UAV's

Staff Instruction (SI) No. 623-001 - Transport Canada

25 Small UAV – means a UAV with a maximum permissible take-off weight of 25kg (55 pounds) or less.
26 Unmanned Air Vehicle – means a power-driven aircraft, other than a model aircraft, that is designed to fly without a human operator onboard.
Then back up to 14
14 Model Aircraft – means an aircraft, the total weight of which does not exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes and that is not designed to carry persons or other living creatures.

to me it appears that model aircraft are still designated as aircraft and again referring to the letter from Ontario Parks, "a UAV is considered to be an aircraft under Canadian Aviation Regulations" also which they refer to the Parks Conservation Act that there is a defined list of Parks an aircraft can TO/Land in.
As to fines / charges I guess I'd rather not find out the wrong way and would ask for permission - not beg for forgiveness.
I'm sure by spring when the new regulations are out ;) this will be a moot point as the training that will be required will cover this topic( now there's a sure to fire topic)
cheers, Guys

I knew posting the reply would open 'pandoras box' to everyones own interpretation.TC Staff Instruction SI# 623-001, which is guideline for reviewing/processing SFOC requirements also defines (under terminology) UAV's

Staff Instruction (SI) No. 623-001 - Transport Canada

25 Small UAV – means a UAV with a maximum permissible take-off weight of 25kg (55 pounds) or less.
26 Unmanned Air Vehicle – means a power-driven aircraft, other than a model aircraft, that is designed to fly without a human operator onboard.
Then back up to 14
14 Model Aircraft – means an aircraft, the total weight of which does not exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes and that is not designed to carry persons or other living creatures.

to me it appears that model aircraft are still designated as aircraft and again referring to the letter from Ontario Parks, "a UAV is considered to be an aircraft under Canadian Aviation Regulations" also which they refer to the Parks Conservation Act that there is a defined list of Parks an aircraft can TO/Land in.
As to fines / charges I guess I'd rather not find out the wrong way and would ask for permission - not beg for forgiveness.
I'm sure by spring when the new regulations are out ;) this will be a moot point as the training that will be required will cover this topic( now there's a sure to fire topic)
cheers, Guys

Agreed! Keep in mind the staff instructions are for commercial SFOC operations only. Recreational operations are essentially the wild west for now, aside from CAR 602.45 and any land based bylaws, trespassing, harassment and so forth. It is definitely best practice to ask first, as it seems Parks Canada does have a law around any operations on their properties. Such a shame.

I was just looking over Act 347/07, and I was puzzled by the "no one shall land an aircraft"...okay, so we can take off on property. I quickly realized that the regulation is assuming aircraft are manned. You would never take-off an aircraft from a park if it were never to land in the first place. Obviously written with manned float planes in mind! ha!

Last edited:
SI's are
terminology and definitions are just that- the stuff that tell you what the stuff is.
Check this advisory out. Section 4 & 5 - different again
Advisory Circular (AC) No. 600-002 - Transport Canada

It's all good man. We could dissect the wording and interpretation of this stuff down for days. Based on that TC wording, a UAV is not defined as an aircraft!! Too funny! You did the right thing by inquiring directly with the Park. In the end, it's their interpretation that matters =)

I take it your in TO - I have so much space up here the parks aren't a big concern. I'm 20 mins from the northwest corner of Algonquin. Easy remote access plus the lakes around our area are plentiful.
My only wish was to film the skate trails at Arrowhead
And yea the lawmakers will get us squared away- heck maybe they'll consult with Miss Wynne
good flights :)

I take it your in TO - I have so much space up here the parks aren't a big concern. I'm 20 mins from the northwest corner of Algonquin. Easy remote access plus the lakes around our area are plentiful.
My only wish was to film the skate trails at Arrowhead
And yea the lawmakers will get us squared away- heck maybe they'll consult with Miss Wynne
good flights :)

Yea, I'm down in TO. It's pretty well class c controlled airspace down here everywhere except a tiny slice of land in Scarborough. I would love to have the backyard you have access to up there, but I've had to learn to fly with extreme discipline in/around the city mostly taking off/landing in city parks and ravines. Lots of beauty down here to capture, but I keep the drone close and in line of sight at all times.

Good Night Toronto by Greg Patterson - Photo 169238377 / 500px
29158615256_03f335ddc2_b.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT