Props and paranoia

Reaction score
I'm real finicky about my props. God forbid I bang or bend one, I get all freaked out ;p. The reason is simple: I know how critical they are to flight performance *and* reliability. One could lose their entire investment and/or cause damage to property or people, all due to an $8 prop.

Here are my rough conclusions so far:

1. Examine props regularly for cracks in the center, just to be safe. I've never seen this happen, but it seems like it could.
2. Take them off before putting your quadcopter into a case. After all, it takes only a few seconds to remove or install the self-tightening props. Don't be lazy. It's not worth the risk.
3. Never, under any circumstances, use cheap generic props. Make sure yours say DJI, or are manufactured by a company you really trust. Those 'XOXOXO' brand have entirely different rigidity and I wouldn't trust them at all. Be careful, as often the manufacturer of props isn't made clear on order pages.
4. Carbon fiber props? I haven't tried these. Some people swear by them. If you do go with them, again, pay attention to #3. They also seem inherently more dangerous to me, so make sure you've got some good liability insurance in case you cut off someone's finger, etc...
5. Balancing? I dunno. I never have fooled with it. Good props should come pre-balanced and remain that way unless they are damaged.
6. Immediately toss out any damaged prop. I actually would be hesitant about using any prop that has been involved in a crash, but that may be a bit excessive.

dbcch said:
I'm real finicky about my props. God forbid I bang or bend one, I get all freaked out ;p. The reason is simple: I know how critical they are to flight performance *and* reliability. One could lose their entire investment and/or cause damage to property or people, all due to an $8 prop.

Here are my rough conclusions so far:

1. Examine props regularly for cracks in the center, just to be safe. I've never seen this happen, but it seems like it could.
2. Take them off before putting your quadcopter into a case. After all, it takes only a few seconds to remove or install the self-tightening props. Don't be lazy. It's not worth the risk.
3. Never, under any circumstances, use cheap generic props. Make sure yours say DJI, or are manufactured by a company you really trust. Those 'XOXOXO' brand have entirely different rigidity and I wouldn't trust them at all. Be careful, as often the manufacturer of props isn't made clear on order pages.
4. Carbon fiber props? I haven't tried these. Some people swear by them. If you do go with them, again, pay attention to #3. They also seem inherently more dangerous to me, so make sure you've got some good liability insurance in case you cut off someone's finger, etc...
5. Balancing? I dunno. I never have fooled with it. Good props should come pre-balanced and remain that way unless they are damaged.
6. Immediately toss out any damaged prop, even if only slightly damaged.

+1 ESPECIALLY regarding the XOXOXO props...

-slinger

Reactions: dirkclod
From my experience only about 1 in 5 phantom 2 oem props are balanced well. Especially about the head. Been through 3 sets.

Slinger...I'm not quite clear on how you feel about those XOXOXO props :lol:

dbcch, I'll endorse everything you said, except for #5 on your list. While it's possible to fly with unbalanced props, it's wise to check even those that claim to be "pre-balanced." Unbalanced props can affect everything from flight behavior to motor bearing life.

OI Photography said:
Slinger...I'm not quite clear on how you feel about those XOXOXO props :lol:

dbcch, I'll endorse everything you said, except for #5 on your list. While it's possible to fly with unbalanced props, it's wise to check even those that claim to be "pre-balanced." Unbalanced props can affect everything from flight behavior to motor bearing life.

Ummm... Okay. I'll do my best to be a bit more clear on that subject... :) :D :lol: ;)

-slinger

OI Photography said:

Thanks for the advice!

I bought a balancer a while back for the P1 props, but need to order one of those rods to screw the P2's self-tightening props on for balance check. So, I'll do that.

I guess since I never saw any problems, I haven't taken balancing seriously. I'm absolutely looking forward to changing my opinion on that ;)

gunslinger said:
Ummm... Okay. I'll do my best to be a bit more clear on that subject... :) :D :lol: ;)
-slinger

I always found the "XOXOXO" inscription curious. It looks more like a mark to indicate failed post-manufacture QA than a brand name. Whoever makes them, I wouldn't put my name on them either ;p.

dbcch said:
OI Photography said:

Thanks for the advice!

I bought a balancer a while back for the P1 props, but need to order one of those rods to screw the P2's self-tightening props on for balance check. So, I'll do that.

I guess since I never saw any problems, I haven't taken balancing seriously. I'm absolutely looking forward to changing my opinion on that ;)

It's worthwhile. I had my doubts too, but I'm finding over half the DJI props need a little balancing. Short money for peace of mind...

-slinger

dbcch said:
Seems an appropriate thread to post this ... carbon fiber props require extreme care. Not sure what he was trying to do, but it turned out badly.

Not for the squeamish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3Hii_LZOc

Avoid CF props, they are too stiff -- the flex in the dji props is a deliberate part of the design, so it flies better with the real dji props. Info came from dji's engineer "Dr Turbo" (shame about the name!!) in a post on props on rc groups. If I can find the post I'll add a link!

Visioneer said:
dbcch said:
Seems an appropriate thread to post this ... carbon fiber props require extreme care. Not sure what he was trying to do, but it turned out badly.

Not for the squeamish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji3Hii_LZOc

Wow! That was a deep cut!

Yikes! With hardly any velocity he got a pretty deep cut. I wonder what the results would be with a fast moving flyaway hitting an unsuspecting bystander. So much for "this won't kill anyone."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that was crazy.. You really cant be too careful around these things. Two things I would never trust my P3P to: non DJI props, and non DJI batteries.. I never had a P2 but I have plenty of experience flying the P3 with both DJI Carbon (a misnomer) and DJI stock plastic props. I can say without a doubt the P3 is noticeably more responsive with the carbon props on as opposed to the plastic. It isn't a huge difference but it is noticeable. I switched to the CF props soon after I started flying my P3P and now have over 90 flights (300 miles) with them, no issues. Like the plastic props the DJI CF props require balancing to varying levels. I try not to remove them after every flight unless I need to, as I believe that repeatedly installing and removing the props can cause the soft threads of the prop to loosen, with disastrous results..

What is the best prop balancer for phantom 2 vision props

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I use a Du-Bro and this balancer.jpg sometimes . Just be sure the glass is level .

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Is that an xacto knife or...

I like it. Simple yet effective. Thanks alot brother! I have one more question. Not prop related. In your opinion what are the best settings to use for the camera to get the highest quality photos and videos?

I use just auto almost everything and just run them through apps . I'm really no good with the settings . More about modding .

Yea. I haven't done the first thing to my bird. All stock p2 vision. Relatively new to the high performance rc flyers. I study everything I can on phantoms but seems like the more I learn the more confusing things get. Like all the different antenna mods and such

Well I started way back and have just progressed on up . Have tried about everything ya can .
The P2V is one sturdy bird and have had 3 and an rebuilding it now as it had a ahaaaaaaaa
mishap :)
Just take one thing at atime and don't let it overwhelm ya and you will get it .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl