Propeller scraped from too many too's

Reaction score
I was coming in TOO hot and TOO fast and apparently I was also standing TOO close to my car. My P3 hit the bumper, flipped over and tried to drive itself into the driveway before I got the props stopped.

Inspection shows no damage, except some scrapes across the top of the props. I took them off, sanded them a little to smooth them out, and then put them back on and it flys fine. I know props are cheap but is there any reason not to use these props?

Here is the worse one after the light sanding.

8816c7563f2a3b0c9a8a6616e0534331.jpg

If one is shorter than the other 3 the AC will struggle to compensate for it. The motor with the shorter (or lighter) prop will work harder to equalize the others.
I would definitely replace it. Is a set of props worth burning out a motor, or esc, or worse yet, crashing?
I had a P3S once and broke about 3/4" off one of the props. I tried to see if it would fly and it got about 1 foot off the ground then started flying in the direction of the shorter prop. Makes sense, that motor put out slightly less thrust, so the other 3 overpowered it.
I always keep several sets of props on hand just in case I need them. Also a complete set of mounting plates so if they get worn out or one breaks, I can fix it right away with parts on hand and not have to wait for shipping.

Reactions: Naturalone
You sanded them but did you then balance them?. For the $6 they cost I'd replace them personally.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
I know props are cheap but is there any reason not to use these props?

The real question: Is there any reason not to replace your props? Everything your bird does in the physical world, it does with its props. Do the props have any stress or structural damage you can't see with the Mark I Eyeball? Are you sure?

Seems to me $6 is cheap insurance.

I'd say they are OK for now. That worst one is very mild IMO, just a bit of a scrape.

I would be thinking about the balancing of the props. If they are off balance then there will be additional vibrations which can cause problems such as srews falling out, bad video, etc etc. Best bet is to buy some new props and your bird will last longer and happier

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Props are the only thing keeping the craft in the air. It's nearly impossible for us to tell if there is any hard-to-see damage from a picture so the best advice any of us can give from here, is "new props."

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Seriously. Six bucks? That's one less happy meal this week.

You've spent more money on dumber things than new props.

As many have said replace the props... not worth the risk. Or it might be awhile before you buy any happy meals[emoji52]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl