Propeller missing at crash site

Reaction score
Last night on a routine flight something strange happened. The phantom had been flying for about 7 minutes and still had plenty of battery. I was not in a hurry and was bringing it back home. All of a sudden, the phantom started tumbling and angled down (almost vertical) and hit the road. I was about 20 feet from where it went down. Remarkably, there was a crack in the case and a bowed area. I was nowhere near the CSC or cutoff position on the controls. Here is the strange part. One of the propellers was missing. It didn't bounce away from the crash site. I am sure the crash was caused by a propeller departing. I do not tighten the propellers. (I have the spin down type.) Am I making a mistake?

The phantom started up with all four motors running. Amazing.

Out of the box DJI props. I have only had this phantom three weeks. This is the same phantom that would start the motors individually with the throttle at center. CSC wasn't working. (Is now) This phantom is possessed and I am getting the feeling a new problem is lurking around the corner.

Shaft is still there. I put a prop on it with no problem. I am sure the error is mine. I never "tightened" them down in any way. I just spun them down. Now I'll hold the motor and just make sure it is snug.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl