Propeller Guard Error

Reaction score
I received an error trying to take off from my deck saying obstacle avoidance was disabled because I had propeller guards installed. Well, I did not have propeller guards and discovered my deck rail spindles somehow fooled the phantom 4. Is it true you loose obstacle avoidance with prop guards. Does anyone know why.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

i know on the dji store site it says you will loose obstacle avoidance with the original p4 set of guards, but it doesn't say that for their newer set so i'm not sure how the detection works or takes place.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I also read the same thing I was going to get guards until I read they disable the OA... I also read the gimble guards that go on the landing legs mess with the sensors under the p4

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I believe so I saw a video on YouTube p4 with the gimble guard 20ft in the air but was registering as 4ft from the ground. The video also said gimble guards void dgi warrenty don't know if that's true

Is it true you loose obstacle avoidance with prop guards. Does anyone know why.
Yes.

The reason why is the visual OA system... prop guards block part of the forward field of view of the two OAS cameras, so they can not detect parallax for anything distant blocked in the visual field by the guards.

Put more simply, put your hand in front of your face, run around, and see how good your obstacle avoidance is.

Look around, there are plenty of guards on the market the do not interfere OA.....The Set that I use does not interfere with it.

Look around, there are plenty of guards on the market the do not interfere OA.....The Set that I use does not interfere with it.
Does the P4 recognize you have the set plugged in and automatically turn off OA?

Does the P4 recognize you have the set plugged in and automatically turn off OA?
No. It detects this based on what it sees in the visual field in front of it with the two OAS cameras on the landing struts.

This is why it can occasionally mistake something like deck railing staves as prop guards. Whatever visual pattern DJI has programmed into the system to suspect as guards can be fooled.

If that happens, just rotate your aircraft 45deg or so where it's sitting on the deck, reboot it, and try again.

I read some say they don't affect the OA but if the ones DJI sell on there Web site say they do im not sure if I trust any of them.... I was thinking of getting some but got put off after reading about this

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl