Propeller Flew off when Flying

The P3 does a little rev on starting,which should tighten them 'adequately'.
This suggests there's no need to tighten them beyond gentle finger-pressure.
I always notice one prop will sometimes stiffen that bit too soon and needs a bit more force to go on fully.
I wouldn't rely on that and I don't know that's the reason for the "double rev" on start-up. But, there is a motor grip tool included with the aircraft for a reason; to hold the motor body to enable one to both tighten and loosen the props.

I wouldn't rely on that and I don't know that's the reason for the "double rev" on start-up. But, there is a motor grip tool included with the aircraft for a reason; to hold the motor body to enable one to both tighten and loosen the props.
Perhaps the tool is to remove a prop that is a little stubborn. I often find the props a little on the tight side after flying through several packs, they come down a lot tighter than they went on.

If tools were needed for installing props the manual would detail the procedure.

Reactions: Suntana
Perhaps the tool is to remove a prop that is a little stubborn. I often find the props a little on the tight side after flying through several packs, they come down a lot tighter than they went on.

If tools were needed for installing props the manual would detail the procedure.
IIRC, it doesn't mention the tool at all in the highly detailed manual.;)
I think a degree of common sense is needed here. I suspect you'd have a very difficult time "over-tightening" and damaging the threads by hand or indeed, with the assistance of the tool. I use the tool to install and de-install the props - maybe I'm an idiot but there we are. Frankly, I'd rather they were tight and difficult to remove from point of takeoff and avoid an expensive wreck. Just my opinion....

IIRC, it doesn't mention the tool at all in the highly detailed manual.;)
I think a degree of common sense is needed here. I suspect you'd have a very difficult time "over-tightening" and damaging the threads by hand or indeed, with the assistance of the tool. I use the tool to install and de-install the props - maybe I'm an idiot but there we are. Frankly, I'd rather they were tight and difficult to remove from point of takeoff and avoid an expensive wreck. Just my opinion....
By all means do whatever you feel comfortable with. My observation is that they tighten significantly in flight. Certainly no indication of a tendency to loosen. There has been more than one thread on this board and elsewhere suggesting that the threads and or hub can be significantly deformed (in some instances to the extent of being unserviceable) by over tightening. I'm sure even with the tool you can find a happy medium.

Reactions: Numone
By that do you mean you will now tighten them a bit harder or looser than before? Sorry about your loss btw.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just mean I pay more attention and make sure they are consistently the same tightness.

By all means do whatever you feel comfortable with. My observation is that they tighten significantly in flight. Certainly no indication of a tendency to loosen. There has been more than one thread on this board and elsewhere suggesting that the threads and or hub can be significantly deformed (in some instances to the extent of being unserviceable) by over tightening. I'm sure even with the tool you can find a happy medium.
Yeah, they do get tighter and it was that fact that lead me to "pinch them up" slightly more than I had been doing and found the tool was great at helping achieve this.

I believe if your prop comes off, your motor stopped. Acceleration won't unscrew it.

Ever since I first read about props coming off in flight, I started flying a lot more gently. Especially at the end of a fast run to gain distance. I now progressively reduce the throttle from full gas to zero over the space of a good few seconds. Braking can be extreme. I'd rather not risk a flying prop!

Ever since I first read about props coming off in flight, I started flying a lot more gently. Especially at the end of a fast run to gain distance. I now progressively reduce the throttle from full gas to zero over the space of a good few seconds. Braking can be extreme. I'd rather not risk a flying prop!
Yep, agree...

If you have not removed the props since the last flight and are just checking. It is easy enough to turn one in the wrong direction thinking you got it a little tighter. When in fact it was loosened.

If you have not removed the props since the last flight and are just checking. It is easy enough to turn one in the wrong direction thinking you got it a little tighter. When in fact it was loosened.
I find it a little difficult to agree with you there....

I find it a little difficult to agree with you there....
Depends on how long you have been flying. I noticed 9 charges on his battery. So just a suggestion.
Since the prop flew off right away, it is obvious it was not tight for what ever reason.

The reason for a prop to fly off :
1. Not snug fit, not sitting properly
2. Internal damage to threads
3. Excessive suddenly braking

One doesn't need a tool to tighten them, let it freely rotate to tighten and give extra quarter turn with one finger holding the rotor with hand is more than enough.

Reactions: snerd
now progressively reduce the throttle from full gas to zero over the space of a good few seconds. Braking can be extreme. I'd rather not risk a flying prop!

Please tell me I am wrong. Because I don't get it

Unlike a real plane, there is no brake or reversal thrust on a quad
When people say braking or as in full throttle forward then to stop forward momentum(braking). All a quad do is reverse the tilt of the quad, in fact the faster a motor spin. Faster the forward momentum will stop when a reverse quad tilt applied.

Am I wrong in this?

Know that I go back and replay the incident in my head I belive this is what occurred. I checked the props out throughly and there is no wear or damage to be seen. But to be safe I'm gonna order a new pair of carbon dji props.

Carbon prop is bad news

Pro
They look so cool

Con
Easy to break
More dangerous if it hit something
The tread insert on carbon prop don't grab as well as nylon

Maybe use carbon only when quad is inside the house while being display :)

When people say braking or as in full throttle forward then to stop forward momentum(braking). All a quad do is reverse the tilt of the quad, in fact the faster a motor spin. Faster the forward momentum will stop when a reverse quad tilt applied.

Am I wrong in this?

I could be wrong but what likely causes the quad to reverse tilt so suddenly is, in part, a rapid decrease in the speed of the two rear motors. Although those motors slow, the props retain their angular momentum (i.e. they're still trying to spin at the original speed). If the props aren't screwed on tight enough, this momentum could be enough to overcome the friction between the threads and the hub, causing the props to spin off under braking.

Reactions: reboot81 and N017RW

Am I wrong in this?

There is braking feature on P3. You can adjust its behavior using DJI go app.

I do the same thing.... Just makes sense and seems a lot easier on the bird as well.

Am I wrong in this?

It looks like @With The Birds answered your same question yesterday in this thread.
Propeller Flew off when Flying

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl