Prop guards??

I have had them on my P1 from the beginning. They have not caused me any problems but have saved my props many times from minor tip overs. For max performance and less affect by wind, don't use them. I like to fly in calm air. I can fly in wind ok..just don't care to. I was going around a tree once and bumped the trunk. All it did was crack one guard which a drop of ca fixed nicely. I highly recommend them for new flyers. I'm still on my first set of props. They are fine with the exception of some bug juice.

Yesterday, in my fifth flight I decided to try them, as I was going to fly around a house, surrounded by a lot of trees. The filming went without any incidents. However, guards added a lot of drag to wind. Drone was more difficult to control and video got some additional moving, even during hovering, as not seen before. Filming was done in a open area field, not very speedy winds, at altitudes between 50-200 meters (150 and 600 feet) on a P2V+V3.

I think I'm going to reserve them to use only on populated/crowded areas, or in extreme situations were the bird could get in real danger of hitting something.

I would advise against them. Chances are, if you find yourself in a situation where your craft might hit something, the props wont be your concern. The craft and camera/gimbal unit on the bottom will be your concern, lol.

I guess the guards could protect you from very flat, straight things, like walls, or tree trunks (shouldn't fly close to trees in my opinion) or very straight humans x)

:D I have used them a lot. With the string, they even work on most straight humans. You will probably read more just like you have already read. I like them and will remove them when I get to flying better. Search rotor guards for videos.

I had thought about using the string. I'm sure in some cases it might be a good idea but I figured it could get snagged easier if it grazed branches. I have trees where I fly. I know I would really be pissed if my quad was in a tree hanging by a string. Around people.good idea

Prop guards are completely unnecessary and create more problems than they prevent.
Better to have a proper sense of the risk and learn to avoid flying close to obstacles.

Never gave me any problems. Only use them at the house. Too many trees. They are on now because of the cold. I don't fly anywhere but home and short flights when cold. Once it warms up they will be off and back to better locations. I don't need them for landings. I land gently unlike so many videos I have seen where they slam quad into ground. Might be good for tipovers in those cases.

I used them for the first week and flew with them every day. They saved my props a few times. It should be noted, props are very fragile! I only had one minor crash, but there were other occasions where I came close to trees or tipped against abrasive sand. I can't see how they create problems, other than a slight change in performance.

The difference in performance isn't that big. A slightly gusty day makes more difference. I fly without, now that I'm more confident in my ability and sensibility.
Don't let the bravado factor influence your choice.

I'll never use them. They add weight, drag, contribute to VRS problems and people have blown up perfectly good motors by using the longer screws that come with the prop guards with the prop guards off...

I have half a dozen Hubsan X4 H107X mini quads and only one of them has a prop guard. That's for flying in the house when the grandkids are there. And it flies like crap... :D

-slinger

Never used them at all. I do at times challenge myself to see how close I can get to objects...

I agree with gunslinger.
I had them for a couple flights and they caused weird flight behavior, even causing VRS and a crash. No damage done though. I might use them indoors in the future, but you have other problems to deal with if you get too close to a wall indoors. You shouldn't ever have to fly that close to people with or without the guards.

I used them at the beginning, but I don't use them anymore.

I've flown a lot both with and without prop guards and don't notice a significant difference in performance either way. The one issue I have is they are more likely to get into the shot when filming, especially if you're using the wide setting. I bought quick release adapters from one of the 3D printing companies on this forum. Having the option to choose from flight to flight whether prop guards will be advantageous in a particular situation has been a great help. Treat them as a tool like anything else.

Wondering out loud here.....

Would the operator's perceived threat to the flight help determine the use of prop guards? If the biggest perceived threat is trees, would they use them more? Would a person who lives in wide open windy spaces have a tendency to use the guards less (or even hate them)?

I fly in tall tight pine trees. I have bumped branches and bounced some, but haven't crashed using the guards, so I like them (this week)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl