Prop guards??

My Quads all flew different when I added gimbals and/or cameras to them - but I learned to compensate for the additional weight and handling characteristics. I view prop guards in a similar way - learn how they affect your flight and how to avoid VRS when using them and you'll be fine.
But then I pride myself on my landings, so I tend to view hand-catchers in the same light - they just haven't developed the proper skills needed to execute a smooth landing. :?

I used them for my first few flights with the string. I did save my props when I tried to turn the props off with the CSC move. The copter tried to tilt over and landed on the guards.
Now that I have a few flights. I have noticed that the guards hamper the flights with increased wind gusts and I have seen signs of VRS when I was descending. Funny thing is that I was too new to even know what that was.

Finally I made a rookie mistake and focused on the screen instead of the copter. What happened was that I started to land on a tree and caught it just in time to have the string get caught on a branch. So, when I tried to gain height over the tree the guard was caught and the copter fell. Luckily the tree was small and the copter tumbled down the branches and landed fairly softly.

I can only see the use of the guards for flying inside or when the copter flies into someone (saving the person not the copter)

And I should make it clear; when I do use the prop guards I stay low (~30 ft or so) and keep moving laterally to avoid VRS. I like to fly through the pines though, and the guards are great for protecting me from my often faulty depth perception.
But any wind, and the guards do tend to act as sails, so I avoid using them on windy days.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj