Prop flew off

My location. As you can see I was in the middle of nowhere.
641e1391432afd96fd9d5b4266dc33a1.jpg
a28476aff01ead95977eac5d42e0401d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

So if you are in the middle of nowhere, then it's not neccesary to worry about...got it.

I cannot believe some of the keyboard warriors here, im a paid up member of BMFA i know what im doing but everybody gets it wrong once in there life, it was meant as a light hearted reminder that we all make mistakes now and again. Get over yourselves please.

We don't know it was an idiot who crashed into the space needed. Heck the people that run it say they installed a drone magnet.
Umm, yes we do, because the workers there said the owner came to them to retrieve it. They had identified him already because he flew and landed, then changed batteries and crashed on the second flight.

So he may not be an idiot, we'll settle for "Not the sharpest tack in the box"? Come on here, he flew an electrical object into an area where they were setting up explosives, not exactly an Einstein move.

Last edited:
That was unnecessary and unfriendly, and this is a friendly site. Please give that some consideration.

He was flying a drone, not an airplane with people in it. I have a PPL (no longer current), was fastidious about pre-flight, yet fly my P4 all the time without doing any checks (other than unpacking and setting up, FWIW as "pre-flight"). I put the props on and make sure they're secure once, then fly.

It's only an object, not a living being. The stakes are completely different.

P

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

That was unnecessary and unfriendly, and this is a friendly site. Please give that some consideration.

He was flying a drone, not an airplane with people in it. I have a PPL (no longer current), was fastidious about pre-flight, yet fly my P4 all the time without doing any checks (other than unpacking and setting up, FWIW as "pre-flight"). I put the props on and make sure they're secure once, then fly.

It's only an object, not a living being. The stakes are completely different.

Yes agreed but remember the lawmakers are looking at these sites. Would you like a drone or quadcopter (whichever you prefer) dropping on your car or family because someone did not do the pre flight checks properly?

I cannot believe some of the keyboard warriors here, im a paid up member of BMFA i know what im doing but everybody gets it wrong once in there life, it was meant as a light hearted reminder that we all make mistakes now and again. Get over yourselves please.
Shame this isn't Reddit, I'd upvote you for that one :)

Yes agreed but remember the lawmakers are looking at these sites. Would you like a drone or quadcopter (whichever you prefer) dropping on your car or family because someone did not do the pre flight checks properly?

The phantom didn't get more than an inch off the floor, I checked the props twice but moving it I must of dislodged the one prop. You really are over thinking this one.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: EPT160
@SAVA9E P4,
Not sure that anyone here really tried to help figure out what happened to you.
I'm somewhat puzzled by your issue. I don't have a P4 so I don't know how the props secure, but on the P3's if you truly snug them well, they will not come loose while walking from point A to B, or at all for that matter.
Furthermore, the normal rotation of the motor will actually tighten the prop. A fast reduction in RPM (breaking) can cause a non-secure prop to thread off.
Your prop came off while ascending?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The real moral is you do a thorough pre flight check. Thank god you are not a pilot on my next airline flight.

At least he had the balls to admit he screwed up, to try and help the rest of us. I'll bet he has learned from it, and "maybe" some one else.

The real moral is you do a thorough pre flight check. Thank god you are not a pilot on my next airline flight.
Silly comment, anyone can make a mistake. I've read a couple of post about losing props, it's actually reassuring that they typical come off right away and just fly up and out the way. I'm glad he posted.

You will all change your tune when a guy posts. " a prop flew off and caused xyz damage to something". Then you will go nuts over preflight checks and whatnot. Just be safe. Check and double check your rig...what harm does it do you?

I think sometime people just like to argue instead of accepting the critisism.

And Dwallwersv.....why the nevative attitude?
Sorry... I get ticked off when someone gets snarky with another member that was innocently sharing or asking for advice.

@SAVA9E P4,
Not sure that anyone here really tried to help figure out what happened to you.
I'm somewhat puzzled by your issue. I don't have a P4 so I don't know how the props secure, but on the P3's if you truly snug them well, they will not come loose while walking from point A to B, or at all for that matter.
Furthermore, the normal rotation of the motor will actually tighten the prop. A fast reduction in RPM (breaking) can cause a non-secure prop to thread off.
Your prop came off while ascending?
Yes, this is really the topic anyway. Given the new mounting mechanism, it's curious how they came off. The locking on when the spring clips press the claws in the hub up against the mating claws in the mount is pretty secure.

IF fully mounted, seems to me the only thing that could allow it to come off would be weak, compressed spring clips in the prop hub. But then this would be pretty obvious, it seems to me, by how it felt when putting it on.

@SAVA9E P4 , any more details?

Yes, this is really the topic anyway. Given the new mounting mechanism, it's curious how they came off. The locking on when the spring clips press the claws in the hub up against the mating claws in the mount is pretty secure.

IF fully mounted, seems to me the only thing that could allow it to come off would be weak, compressed spring clips in the prop hub. But then this would be pretty obvious, it seems to me, by how it felt when putting it on.

@SAVA9E P4 , any more details?
Maybe a simple as bumping the top of the prop on his leg while he was moving it and catching a tiny blade movement. Bot sure, seems they are pretty secure as soon as you feel the click to me.

I always pull up on them to make sure. I started doing that after reading about this happening to other people.

Reactions: Pharm
Maybe a simple as bumping the top of the prop on his leg while he was moving it and catching a tiny blade movement. Bot sure, seems they are pretty secure as soon as you feel the click to me.
My technique is to hold the prop still applying gentle downward pressure as necessary and rotate the motor casing to lock it on.

I seem to get better tactile feedback this way than trying to hold the motor still and turn the prop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94