Prop flew off

Reaction score
Took the P4 out today, put all the props on one at a time and checked them, then i checked them again, walked about 30 feet to my take off spot holding both drone and controller in one hand as it was slippy.

Started everything up then started the props to watch one fly 30 foot into the air and the P4 flip over.

Luckily everything was fine and no damage.

Moral of the story is check your props again just before starting them up.

Did you use the start/take off on DGI Go or the CSC Mode? I always start (at least the first flight of the day) using the stick because the rotors spin in idle, not enough to take off, but enough to shake anything loose and keep my bird from tumbling.

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Dounin Front
Did you use the start/take off on DGI Go or the CSC Mode? I always start (at least the first flight of the day) using the stick because the rotors spin in idle, not enough to take off, but enough to shake anything loose and keep my bird from tumbling.

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Good advice. Pre flight checks are very important.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: cabokalz
Auto take off, as said I checked the props twice each but must have loosened one while carrying it the short distance to take off point.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Watched a Youtube video a day ago I think it was.
There was a dude saying to calibrate yer compass.
When you crank up yer Drone to let it run for a few seconds on the ground.
Then raise it about 6' Up and let it set for about 45 seconds before you take off.
This gives everything more time to Sync.

Don't know if this would of helped you or not.
And I am new to this so only listen to what I have learned with a grain of salt.

Hate to hear you had a problem.

I use auto take off then let it sit 3 foot off the ground and test the direction etc. Never just hoot up into the air. Lesson learned so won't make that mistake again.

The real moral is you do a thorough pre flight check. Thank god you are not a pilot on my next airline flight.
That was unnecessary and unfriendly, and this is a friendly site. Please give that some consideration.

He was flying a drone, not an airplane with people in it. I have a PPL (no longer current), was fastidious about pre-flight, yet fly my P4 all the time without doing any checks (other than unpacking and setting up, FWIW as "pre-flight"). I put the props on and make sure they're secure once, then fly.

It's only an object, not a living being. The stakes are completely different.

That's an excellent idea and practice!

In my case, since I used to frustrate myself in the hell that is the RC copter world habit just makes me start and launch via the sticks every flight, as well as land it manually almost every time. I just never "think" to hit the take-off button on the screen. Riding g a bicycle. and all that...

One more little thing about landing, though... the auto-land comes down pretty hard it seems to me. The AC always bounces a tiny bit. That's another reason (in addition to the habit thing) I prefer to gently land it myself and shut the motors off L stick down.

Reactions: tjshelton
That was unnecessary and unfriendly, and this is a friendly site. Please give that some consideration.

He was flying a drone, not an airplane with people in it. I have a PPL (no longer current), was fastidious about pre-flight, yet fly my P4 all the time without doing any checks (other than unpacking and setting up, FWIW as "pre-flight"). I put the props on and make sure they're secure once, then fly.

It's only an object, not a living being. The stakes are completely different.

Unless it happens and flings off and slices a kids face.

A minor scolding seems appropriate.

Reactions: Falcon900

Use a kid could be harmed as a trump card.

The original comment was unnecessary and quite judgey.

I bet that person has never had anything go wrong ever.

Now you're bringing Trump into the fight, let's not get political here! (grin)

Until it happens.....then its a thing.

"Until some idiot crashes into the space needle"
"Until one crashes on the white house lawn"
"Until one slices a lady's face at a parade"

Why be against safety?

We don't know it was an idiot who crashed into the space needed. Heck the people that run it say they installed a drone magnet.

It isn't about being against safety, it is about someone being condescending towards some one and acting like nothing they have ever done has turned poorly, and invoking the "danger to children" trump card.
Who knows there might have been an internal failing in the prop causing it to come off, and some would yell yer an idiot for not doing a dye penetration test before each flight.

The shame post thing is old.

Reactions: Wayne Stevenson
A minor scolding from someone probably half my age, give me a break. It was a simple mistake, it happens so get over yourself.

Reactions: m0j0

What actually happens is the prop flies straight up as it would, i also fly well away from people today in a field in the middle of nowhere, maybe a sheep but thats it. Please get off your high horse we are not all perfect.

Reactions: BuckyOS

"Until one crashes on the white house lawn"
"Until one slices a lady's face at a parade"

Why be against safety?
Yes, I agree.

Do you preflight you car every time before you drive? Inspect the tires for damage that could cause a sudden blowout? Until it happens...

The risk of you having a mechanical failure when driving that results in harm to others is substantially greater than any similar risk with a small drone being flown for hobby purposes. The point here is reasonable standards based on risk. We don't think it reasonable to "pre-flight" a car every time we use it for a multitude of reasons that we all agree justifies the risk.

The nature of how a car is used, or a regular aircraft, is what induces the risk, and therefore the importance of risk mitigation. In the case of the drone, the risk is so tiny that it's unreasonable to hold someone to a standard designed around the risk of carrying actual people up in the air.

If you simply can't understand this important distinction, well, you're going to have a tough time making friends in a social world ;)

You don't check your tires or your vehicle after dissassembly and resassembly to see if things are tight?

Guys... We need to keep it civil in here. Okay?

Thanks...
-slinger

You will all change your tune when a guy posts. " a prop flew off and caused xyz damage to something". Then you will go nuts over preflight checks and whatnot. Just be safe. Check and double check your rig...what harm does it do you?

I think sometime people just like to argue instead of accepting the critisism.

And Dwallwersv.....why the nevative attitude?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl