prop balancing questions

Reaction score
I searched for "prop balancing" on this page - but didn't find answers:

1) do you prefer adding tape to the light side, or removing material from the heavy side?

2) do I need to worry about where to remove the material or add the tape? I'm thinking the modification could alter that side of the blade's lift - and create more problems.

3) any additional tips for balancing props?

thank you!

I'm very curious about that subject too. Coming from real helicopters world, I know that rotor blades balance is critical to avoid vibration. So weight is also important in real life; I don't know what about in that other business...

I don't like much the tape solution, since it may come off in flight (not a big issue thoug) and also changes the wing profile too (does it really matter?)

Looking fordward some expert advice

Alberto

There seems to be as many opinions regarding the methods for balancing props as there are people. For me, sanding the back of the blade works best. I tried adding tape but it seemed I could never get it right.

Try both and use the one that works best for you.

Adding tape seems ghetto to me. To each his own, but it's no big deal to just sand the back of the blade a bit. Whichever method you use, the farther from the hub you are, the more effect you'll have. Don't worry about affecting lift, you'll only remove the tiniest bit of material.

Keep in mind this is advice is from a noob, but I like adding adhesive to the underside of the prop and sanding the adhesive to get balance just right.

I went to a local hobby store and picked up the adhesive and activator. The activator speeds the drying/curing of the adhesive.

http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmr6001.html
http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmr6034.html

Using the adhesive makes it easy to balance the hub too.

Youtube has many videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXuNnYQO2s4

I'm with Buk, I didn't like sanding, so I went with using thick CA glue and activator on the underside of the props, and then if I added to much I'd then just sand it down a bit.
It's also the only practical method to add weight in order to balance the hub. (when necessary)

I tried tape but couldn't get it to stay on for very long. Then I tried sanding and found it very easy to do, and no more worries about it flying off leaving sticky goo on the props. You normally don't need to sand very much to get in balance. I use the Dubro balancer.

thanks for all the replies - I'll try sanding the trailing edge near the tip

One more question - what grit sandpaper do you use? extra fine?

First thing I do is to clean the prop thoroughly, removing any grass or dirt stains. Then I remove any nicks, dings or rough edges using very fine sandpaper. Finally, I balance the prop and sand as needed on the underside closer to the tip. Often, cleaning was all that was needed to get them balanced.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl