Problems with FPV setup

Reaction score
Hello pilots,

So I'm almost there adding FPV to my Phantom 1 and GoPro 3+. Ordered a kit from ReadymadeRC, and I'm still missing a few parts, but I'm unsure what to get. I would be extremely grateful for some advice!

What I ordered:
**RMRC Custom FPV Package - 5.8GHz (RMRC-CUSTOM-58GHZ)
-Camera GoPro HERO3 & HERO4 Cable
-Video Transmitter FatShark 250mW 5.8GHz
-Video Receiver Fat Shark Dominator 5.8GHz Receiver Module, Standard Bands
-TX Antenna Circular Wireless - 5.8 GHz SPW58RCHP Skew Planar Wheel (1PC)
-RX Antenna Standard
-ReadyMadeRC 7 Inch LCD FPV Monitor

Attached are photos of the Transmitter, Receiver, Monitor, and cables supplied.

So what I'm still lacking and need help with:

1) How do I power the transmitter? What battery should I buy, and can I charge it with the Phantom charger? Do I need adapters to charge it?

2) Same question but with the receiver and monitor. What batteries and how do I charge them?

3) How does the video connect from the receiver to the monitor?

4) Where do you recommend I mount the antenna?

Thank you so much!

Photos of gear in question below with links to product pages:

Monitor (http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1402)
IMG_5283.JPG

Receiver (http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=165_107&products_id=524)
IMG_5282.JPG

Transmitter (http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_30_33&products_id=485)
IMG_5281.JPG

Phantom charger:
IMG_5280.JPG

Lots of videos out there to help you make the connections.

There's a great google search link in my signature.
If you're still without answers tomorrow, I might have some time then.

Good luck

Your phantom has an auxiliary wires (ground and positive) coming from the underneath the body near the front right leg if you have 1.1.1 version. Thats how I power my transmitter. Use the standard antenna on the tx not the rx, you get better reception. I'll post a pic of my setup later.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1437178342.818925.jpg

Here's how mine is setup. Kinda a bad angle but looks pretty clean in the air no wires dangling everywhere. I wouldnt really suggest putting another battery on the P1 just to power tx, it'll be too much weight.

With powering up the monitor, change the leads to an xt60 connector so that you can charge the batteries just like the way you charge your P1 batteries. Anything 2000mah and up will do

Last edited:
Great, thanks everyone for the replies!

A guy over at quadcopterforum shared this video with me, which answers questions installing the transmitter:

JH_PiNoY's suggestion to power the monitor with the Phantom batteries makes sense, I'll get this XT60 Male to 2.1mm Barrel Connector to make that work.

I'm still confused about how to send the video signal from the receiver to the monitor, but honestly haven't had much time to search around and will tomorrow.

Question, I already bought this battery, it's a Venom 5C 2S 2100mAh 7.4 Receiver/Transmitter Hump Pack LiPO Battery. Can I use that battery to power my Fat Shark Dominator 5.8GHz Receiver? Think I need adapters both to charge it with the P1 charger and to connect to the transmitter.

Thanks!

If you want your fatshark googles connected to a monitor you need this cable. http://www.getfpv.com/fatshark-video-only-rca-to-2m-jack-cable.html
Its a simple setup, just connect this cable underneath the googles and connect the other end to your monitor. The monitor will project exact what you see through the googles.

To power your googles, look into to buying these.. http://www.getfpv.com/fatshark-7-4v-1000mah-battery.html

This is fatshark google specific, on top of that its $10 cheaper than your battery suggestion from your post.

If you are U.S. based I suggest looking into GetFPV.com for fpv accessories. They are known for fast shipping.

Thanks for the tips, but I'm not using goggles, using a monitor. Trying to figure out how to connect the fatshark dominator receiver to the rca monitor I have, and power the receiver. Will check out getfpv.com too, thanks.

The receiver module you bought is useless without googles but the receiver you posted above can be directly connected to your monitor. Quick tip, Immersion RC products and Fatshark products are compatible.

Yep, thats what I thought. Oh well, receiver wasn't that expensive, and maybe ill get goggles one day. Thanks for confirming. Ordered the immersion receiver and other parts that should get everything to work. Will post results here. Thanks for all your help.

Hello folks,
Sorry if this is "stealing" the thread. But just as our fellow pilot above, I am also building my FPV set up piece by piece.
I had a GoPro already, so I've got the BOSCAM RC/TX 5.8Ghz and a cable to connect the GoPro to the transmitter. I still do not have a FPV monitor. I was trying to see if the Rx and Tx that I've bough from Amazon was working properly so I have set it up here on the ground using my TV as a monitor. Nothing is being displayed on the TV. I have tried several channels on the Rx and Tx, I've redone the wiring all over again and nothing. Do I necessarily need a monitor that does not go blue/black when there is no signal/reception? I am not even sure if the components I've got are working properly...

Any tips/advices?

Cheers from Brazil!
Thiago Pereira

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl