Problems flying p4 in winter conditions

As per my post #6: Cold weather/snow link and condensation discussion within.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

UAV Bits has a Dust Cover Desiccant Insert "a new item" for the P2 & P3 that inserts into the battery compartment for storage and flight preparation. It visually changes color from blue (low humidity) to pink (high humidity), and will refurbish in a dry environment.

Last edited:
Dji says "you shouldn't fly below -10° C. I followed that rule last winter and had no issues whatsoever... except cold fingers.
Never leave it drone or the batteries at that temperature for long periods of time though. And be sure to keep your batteries in a warm pocket or other place prior to lift off.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A great and informative thread. I currently live in Finland. I am waiting for the snow so that I can get some snow covered lakes and hills and the frozen sea. Luckily my insurance will cover, fly aways, crashes, etc... so flying in the winter is not an issue for me really. I have some hand warmers that I will wrap around the batteries to keep them warm and I will prepare the drone to fly before I step outside. Power up, IMU calibration, quick video and still, then back in the car. Hope to do all of this in 20 mins or less.

I've made three flights now at below -20C (-4F). I've had no issues at all with the battery or the gimbal.

The battery is enclosed and it generates its own heat. If the battery is at room temperature, 21C (70F) at takeoff, it will continue to warm up in flight. It won't get colder. But note, when flying in the winter, the battery must be warm at takeoff. If it's below 16C (60F), you'll get a popup warning on the DJI-Go screen telling you to warm the battery up before flying.

I've checked the battery temperatures at the end of each flight. They have been reading in the mid 30's C (or low 90's F). I've noted that my flight times at -20C (-4F) are essentially the same as they are in summer.

Reactions: Erised and jlrsn
jwt973,
I love to see actual temperatures in both Fahrenheit and Celsius like you posted. I live up at 8,000' in the Rocky Mountains where the temperatures can drop to -25°F (-31.7°C) and colder but even though I have many months of below freezing daily the temperatures that you posted show that aerial photos and videos of fresh snow on the trees is possible on some of the warmer days. After a heavy snowfall if something were to happen causing my white P4 to fall I'll make sure that I have my Marco Polo Tracker attached as my P4 would most likely dissapear into and under the fresh snow. Hopefully the Marco Polo Transmitter Battery will last in the cold as most items that I accidently drop into the snow don't reappear until the spring thaw which could be in June.

Sent from my VS995 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z