Problems flying p4 in winter conditions

Reaction score
Flew yesterday in cold -6 temp on a beautiful sunny day and gimble began to tilt to the left and I could not control the gible anymore had to fly back and land. I did warm the battery's before using. Anyone else have winter problems like this and any advise

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Flew yesterday in cold -6 temp on a beautiful sunny day and gimble began to tilt to the left and I could not control the gible anymore had to fly back and land. I did warm the battery's before using. Anyone else have winter problems like this and any advise

Flying in bad weather is drastic your UAV.Water is the biggest enemy. have sufficicent battery backup to carryon.

I've flown my P4 at -4C with no problems at all.. On another post I read somewhere, a fellow in Russia claims to have flown his at temperatures down to -30C.

Is that -6°F or -6°C? "-6" by itself means nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkyFox007
Motor or gimbal bearings might suffer lubrication in cold conditions as well internal temp change might cause some condensation not welcome for electronic.

Would say important is how long and where you keep the craft in and out.

How Cold Temperatures Affect Your Lubricants

Phantom 3/4 & 'cold weather'/'snow'

For the battery it's more simple, just keep warm until operation, we all know possible sudden phone shutdown in cold conditions.

Last edited:

Others of us have had gimble issueslike this. Dont think it's temperature related

Sent from my VS987 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Possible gimbal bearings/motors frozen, they are very exposed to cold. There is lubricant in closed bearings and motors have limited power.

Would say not only temperature but combination with other factors.

Last edited:
I think it must have been frozen condensation as my p4 went from warm vehicle to freezing temperatures. Next time I won't let her get to warm in the truck

I'm pretty sure it was the issue of the warm vehicle to cold outside but I have flown it in negative temperatures before with no issues

As soon as I landed brought it inside and re powered it. Recalibrate the gimbal and she was operating like new again. So it must have been a frozen condensation in the gimble betting issue? What do you think

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen