Problem with auto takeoff and yoyo

Reaction score
I just flew my new P4 for the first time and when I auto take off it goes up about 2 feet and bounces up and down, I'm scared it's going to hit the ground, I flew my P3A right after and it took off perfectly. Also while hovering with the P4 it bounces up and down a few feet like a yo yo. What is causing this? I updated all firmware. Calibrated imu, calibrated vps, calibrated gps. At first I thougot the wind was causing it but my P3A hovers alot better. What am I doing wrong? This is the 2nd p4 that has done this. I'm thinking of taking it back to store and getting the P3P. Idk

I never use auto take off, so I'm not sure if there's a bug with that. Have tried manually taking off by using full throttle with the left stick? Take it up 30' and see what it does.

I thought DJI fixed the yoyo anomaly. Maybe not.

I never use auto take off, so I'm not sure if there's a bug with that. Have tried manually taking off by using full throttle with the left stick? Take it up 30' and see what it does.

The hover yo yo could of been the wind but I think my p3a would of did the same? I'm going to recalibrate everything and try again tomorrow and see. Hopefully no wind tomorrow

P4 does hover rock solid, especially when VPS in action, even with wind.

Not sure talking about same behavior here but agree ´yoyo' ring a bell aka running forward or backwards and when stop, yoyo commence. But here yoyo seems more likely related to VPS issue with maybe extra accessory mounted such as props guards? (about 2 feets).

And no possible VPS off for P4 except using third party application, but this was not mention by OP.

Factory Reset in DJI Assistant might resolve this, DJI would eventually do this and many people reported complete different craft after reset.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
P4 does hover rock solid, especially when VPS in action, even with wind.

Not sure talking about same behavior here but agree ´yoyo' ring a bell aka running forward or backwards and when stop, yoyo commence. But here yoyo seems more likely related to VPS issue with maybe extra accessory mounted? (about 2 feets).

And no possible VPS off for P4 except using third party application, but this was not mention by OP.

That's what I don't understand. My P3A was pretty rock solid so it must be something not calibrated correctly since I do not have anything mounted on p4. I'll try to recalibrate everything and try again. I'll have my wife record it if it acts up agains

Before doing factory reset we should first make sure this VPS cal is fine. Let me known if you want a link to "how to" video and you'll get link shortly here

For some reason when I plugged the P4 into the computer it said upgrade or update again but I just upgraded it so I did it. Then I recalibrate the vps. Went outside and hit auto takeoff. No yo yo! Awesome! Also while hovering it seemed very stable. Maybe not as stable as my p3a but alot better than last night. Could the yo yo effect be caused by me flying at night when it's dark?

Well done and you possibly fixed some software update issue.

VPS doen't like much dark conditions (<10 lux). Just an idea: you might want try switch off front leds in Go app as possibly interfering. I have not tried that but you might want have a look and report feedback here?

Did you know VPS limitations are documented in manual? Have a look please.

Hope does help and go fly!

It seems like it either wants to rise or lower when it gets hit with a gust of wind. My P3A getting hit with the same gust moves back,foward,left or right instead. Also I'm not sure if it's me or the aircraft but sometimes when I go forward but with a left or right angle movement it wants to rise but that could be me actually moving the stick slightly up not noticing. Anyways after the 2 flights today I feel alot better about keeping it and I don't see myself exchanging it for a P3A anytime soon even though amazon has an amazing deal with a ton of extras including extra battery, hardcase backpack, 2 sd cards 64 and 16, etc etc. and for 100 dollars less than the P4 so it is enticing even with the P4 performing excellent.

Well done and you possibly fixed some software update issue.

VPS doen't like much dark conditions (<10 lux). Just an idea: you might want try switch off front leds in Go app as possibly interfering. I have not tried that but you might want have a look and report feedback here?

Did you know VPS limitations are documented in manual? Have a look please.

Hope does help and go fly!

Thank you!

My final recommendation to you basis last/current firmware version:

Beware altitude reading might be not fully accurate and vary during flight. As result, P4 might think being higher or lower than reality.

Please get used to practice RTH feature and read manual to understand rules. You might need one day.

When bird approaching for final landing he might have excessive descend speed, thinking being higher: use throttle stick to temper and cxl RTH on time (you should know how to) and finalize landing manually .

I suppose also you know how to fly in Atti mode, if not practice and practice. Maybe boring but gain of confidence.

Enjoy your fly and all the best.

Reactions: John Locke

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl