Problem: Rudder operates gimbal after 3.06

Reaction score
After I managed to calibrate X1 properly last night so the tilt of the gimbal worked properly again, I took the Phantom out for a test flight today - Actually it didn't leave the ground as the props wouldn't start as per usual. I noticed that the left stick that controls rudder (that is the rotating motion?) also moved the gimbal slightly on its axis - not the way X1 does tilting the camera up and down, but from side to side. I conclude this is why the props wouldn't start.

Back to the PC, recalibration of the RC, recalibration of the Phantom but still the same issue. Help is gratefully received as the update to 3.06 has been a real faff just for the RTH battery feature!

pilsburypie said:
After I managed to calibrate X1 properly last night so the tilt of the gimbal worked properly again, I took the Phantom out for a test flight today - Actually it didn't leave the ground as the props wouldn't start as per usual. I noticed that the left stick that controls rudder (that is the rotating motion?) also moved the gimbal slightly on its axis - not the way X1 does tilting the camera up and down, but from side to side. I conclude this is why the props wouldn't start.

Back to the PC, recalibration of the RC, recalibration of the Phantom but still the same issue. Help is gratefully received as the update to 3.06 has been a real faff just for the RTH battery feature!

That's normal. The H3-3D smooths out rough turns this way, it moves the gimbal before it starts to spin the copter. Have you verified that all sticks are correct in the assistant? Sometimes you can have one that is reversed, which would cause the motors not to start.

Thanks for the reply - good to see that is normal and not the problem. All the sticks show normal and not reversed. I have also set to mode 2 which I believe to be the right one for normal throttle(up) on the left stick.

On second thoughts, I've not noticed that on previous flights..... but I'm only an 8 flight veteran! ***Just checked and that does happen on my vids***

pilsburypie said:
Thanks for the reply - good to see that is normal and not the problem. All the sticks show normal and not reversed. I have also set to mode 2 which I believe to be the right one for normal throttle(up) on the left stick.

On second thoughts, I've not noticed that on previous flights..... but I'm only an 8 flight veteran! ***Just checked and that does happen on my vids***

You are correct, mode 2 is what you want. That's odd that it won't arm the motors, something is definitely up. Are you in phantom mode or Naza mode in the assistant?

On fiddling around further I pressed the "check IMU status" button - said it needed calibrating - so I did. Seems to work now. Perhaps this was the issue all along?

Forgive the stupid newbie question, but what does doing a calibration involve? Is it done with the Phantom Assistant software?

Ha, a newbie answering a newbie! I shall do my best to explain but don't take it for Gospel.

There are 2 programs downloadable from the DJI site. RC system assistant and Phantom assistant for the RC and Phantom respectively. In these programs you can calibrate your sticks to ensure they are centred and have full movement registering, set various modes like ATTI, Manual, Fail safe, Home lock and course lock. You can also set max flying distances. I have watched a few youtube vids and fumbled my way through and seem to have done OK after a few errors on my part probably.

Specifically to your question, calibrating sticks involves hooking up the RC to the PC, and following the instructions on the program - click a button, move the sticks around in a circle and press finish...... IMU calibration is a simple button press in the Phantom assistant software with the Phantom hooked up to the PC. Have a play - you'll need it soon I bet. I thought I'd have no need as my Phantom came set up but on upgrade of firmware all went to pot so I had to get familiar quick.

Thanks - that's very helpful. I've already downloaded the PA software and the Phantom device driver, because I thought I might need to upgrade the P2's firmware, but it seems that Heliguy must have already done it, because it was already on the current v3.06.

I'll have a play with the calibration. Never hurts to get familiar with these things!

Thanks again for the very helpful advice!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl