Price watch. UK

Hi All This is my first post on this forum so please don't flame me too much, my ego can't handle the negative.

I have been flying an align MR25 since March 2016. I have never flown it in anything other than attitude (Aligns version of beginner) I was smashing props and crashing the drone that often that i thought there was a god of concrete. It didn't matter where i was flying, if it crashed it unfailingly found the hardest piece of ground to hit. I was going through 10 props and one motor per month and used up 3 mother boards. I can now fly circles figure 8's and hover anywhere i want.

From £320 to nearly £2000 was an enormous leap for me. I wanted the "leaves in my hair" mavic experience as per their advert and could see the dji experience was much more professional than the repair it yourself Align (Like FORD cars spares are plentiful and cheap).

I wouldn't call myself anything other than a beginner and was so worried that the first thing i would do is crash. I read up on the mavic and the p4p+ and decided to take a loan. After sales service and some form of crash warranty was pretty essential.
DJI care, hmm, cheap enough but the horrendous shipping arrangements, naaaahhh! So who else offers crash warranty and is there any added value.

Mavic v p4p+, the camera is better in the p4p+ and the software looks to have identical functionality, the + version has a screen with 10,000 nits, whatever they are, but the screen is powered by the controller so one less device battery to worry about. Battery life looks equivalent, and i couldn't get over the weakness inherent in a folding arm hinge during a crash.

I know it will crash.

So order placed with Heliguy for p4p+ and extended crash warranty, just over £2000.

It arrived and the weather was bad for another 5 days. So, select beginner mode mantra firmly engraved, the first good day came and full of the joys of spring and the essential "press every button" experience . I pressed RTH, whoops, it tried to land between a tree and a covered wooden trellis seat. I know now that i should have just pushed the throttle up and make it climb, but my mr25 practice was to minimise the damage by stopping the motors before they chew everything to bits. First time out first battery, destroy one prop.

Over the next few days i noticed a shudder. I rang Heliguy and told them i could do the work could i have a motor please.
The motor arrived the following day and the p4p+ was back in a pristine condition.

Beginner mode is fool proof and to prove it i invited next doors kids, 9 and 11, to come round and have a go. Two batteries later we were all exhausted.

Its so safe even a kid can fly it. They were landing in a hula hoop as part of the practice, that's how easy it is to fly.

I think the problem is that once you come out of beginner mode if you don't have previous experience of flying then you have a very steep learning curve which is probably best learned from a drone costing a lot less. The BMFA competency test for a quad is to fly a circuit figure 8 with the nose pointing in the direction of travel at a constant height.

My recommendation
1, learn to fly a cheap drone first (expect to spend at least the cost of the drone in spare parts)
2, buy from a dealer who offers a no quibble crash warranty
3, buy from a dealer with great after sales service

In the UK i would recommend Heliguy (any DJI product) and Midland Helicopter for the MR25 (great little racing quad)

Hope this helps, don't buy cheapest buy from a great dealer.

Andy
Haven't you invalidated your warranty by repairing it yourself?

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

How much is it to insure with heliguy? I am waiting for a reply but just curious

Neon Euc

Warranty
In the UK we have a law which talks about an item being of merchantable quality. You have thirty days to accept the item as merchantable quality.

Here is my experience of warranty and drones.

Just before Christmas I bought another MR25 X P. The X was a brand new release of the MR25P so I bought one. The first maiden flight on the first battery and a motor came off. It was about 300ft up and went inverted and then started to tumble. What the xxxx!. It aimed for the road out side and was completely out of control. It smashed into a gulley grate and bits disappeared down the hole. Gutted. Luckily no one hurt. I didn't have public liability insurance then, or I would have been up pooh (originally Sh@t but the forum filter wont allow expletives) street.

Lindsay went ballistic. XYL (Ham radio) or 'er in du ers (Yorkshire for her in doors)

After i had calmed down i looked at the drone and could see that the other 3 motors were only hanging on by a thread and of the 4 screws per motor only 2 remained. So the drone had lost 10 screws on its first outing.

I contacted the seller and the conversation went like this. Explained what had happened with the bolts.
Him did you switch it on?
Me: Of course Yeah why?
Him: When you fly a drone you accept responsibility for its airworthy-ness.
Me: What does that mean?
Him: Did you check that the bolts were tight?
Me: no, but its straight out of the box i expected the bolts to be tightened in the factory, clearly there is a problem at the factory, in quality assurance.
Him: Sorry it doesn't work like that once you switch it on you accept it is airworthy it becomes your responsibility.
Me: ???? But if I bought a car from a garage and drove it out of the forecourt and a wheel fell off then I would expect the garage to pay for the repair. Anyway its not merchantable quality the nuts weren't tight i flew it and it crashed ( I then went on to describe my current drone skill level)
Him: I'll help you get it repaired but you have to pay return to base and the cost of the parts.
Me: I don't want a repair i either want my money back or a new drone.

The drone went back, went to the importer for a report came back to the dealer, the dealer swapped out damaged parts and rebuilt the drone with replacement parts. He was extremely sympathetic and charged me a token fee for parts (But he didn't have to, he was just being kind). The Dealer and the Importer said airworthy-ness is my responsibility, You crash it you pay.

The long and the short of this is, the FAA and the CAA all say anything flown in the air must be airworthy and the operator accepts that he is responsible for that airworthy-ness. Have you seen the airline pilots of a 747 underneath with a torch, well they do, every flight. It seems there is never an excuse of it went mad and flew into a crowd of people, you are flying it, you are responsible.

BMFA say that you should always engage the Fail Safe feature of the drone. I know its there but how do you switch it on? and what does it do?

Sorry to disillusion you but Drones and warranties don't mix, you see countless groans of huge bills on this forum.

You can see now why i paid for crash cover.
Heliguy will only offer crash cover to drones bought from them.

I had real problems responding to this which is why it took days for the reply. I have various physical and confidence issues and did not want to relive the drone disaster of Christmas 2016. However its only fair that others benefit from my experiences.

Please don't start into me with a ping pong match.

If you purchase a DJI product It also logs all flight data so DJI know exactly what you've done with it. More importantly if you've flown it. I had an issue with a brand new DJI Inspire. Customer care were excellent and replaced the faulty camera (as it turned out). Turn around was about 2 weeks. I think because they had a full trustworthy record of the Drone then there were no questions asked.

Ive just ordered my P4 Pro from Very.co.uk. They received new stock in yesterday. Been keeping a close eye on their stock as they had both the Pro and Pro+ in couple weeks ago. As expected these sell quickly, especially as Very.co.uk seem to be undercutting most retailers (currently £1499) and with the option to BNPL up to 12 months!

Delivery no later than end of Saturday apparently!

Reactions: Neon Euc
Another lower price, not as good as above though £1250
DJI Phantom 4 PRO Quadcopter Drone: DronesForLess

Update. Just looked for reviews of that website. How shall I put this, I will NOT be using them.

Looks like I shall have to be more patient.

Update on the Update.

I looked up reviews of the site. Are they as bad as I first thought?

Drones for Less is rated "Great" with 8.8 / 10 on Trustpilot

Hi...I bought mine from there in march this year... at first I was like ummmmmm what's the catch..i paid using PayPal! No issues..
They do come from Brooklyn,New York tho!
Took 4 days to get to me via dhl!! No problems :)

The website is based in UK

Dronesforless 77 Beak Street,
Suite 311, London, W1F 9DB, UK
02036 171 867

Though they may ship them from the states there is no mention of Customs etc and, as you can see, they have a UK phone number. As for distance I do not worry about that these days. I once ordered two parts. One from a town around 18 miles from me and one from Australia I bet you can guess which got here first in 3 days.

Drones 4 Less are a US company (Formerly Rockawaydrones) and only have a UK 'office address'. Minimal (if any) staff and a number that redirects to the USA. They are cheap (usually 20% below retail) because they are not paying VAT - OK, whilst tax avoidance isn't illegal, it's not ethical. TRhese companies will work on the basis that very few of their packages will get intercepted by UK customs and some will ship (illegally) in a 'tax paid' container. If UK customs do intercept your parcel you will be liable for any VAT payable (along with an admin fee) which you have to pay before you are allowed to take possession of the drone - OK, most of these firms will refund you but it can be a slow process.

More worrying is that you may not receive EU stock so it's entirely possible that your unit will be FCC rather than CE - on the surface, it's a small difference as the DJI remotes automatically adjust their output according to GPS location, however, operating one of those remotes is potentially illegal in the UK. If you are flying with a club you will not be allowed to use it, if you are flying commercially you run the risk of being closed down if you get caught even of you get past the application stage with the CAA as they require the drone serial number - backed up with photographs to prove ownership

Any repairs/warranty claims will be through the importer not DJI - they might honour the warranty but they may well insist on you returning it to the country of origin for any claims.

I've no issue with grey imports for cameras etc but for drones I don't think it's worth the risk.

Buy from DJI thenselves or an approved dealer such as WEX (if you want next day delivery) - you may pay a little more in the short term but you'll have peace of mind and a 'proper' warranty

Last edited:
Andy thank you for a very interesting reply. I have just sent off an Email to Drones For Less asking them to clarify their position on the points you have raised. Will let you know if I get a reply.
:)

The reason all UK (DJI approved) retailers are pretty much the same price is that DJI decide the price and (if they want to remain official dealers) won't allow them to discount - we managed to get 5% off with one retailer after a bit of negotiating

Andy thank you for a very interesting reply. I have just sent off an Email to Drones For Less asking them to clarify their position on the points you have raised. Will let you know if I get a reply.
my guess is that it will come early afternoon (UK time) when they open their offices up (5 hours behind us) :)

Just a quick update. I put all your views to Drones for Less and this is the reply I got......................

So I guess you must be right!

Now I have a little bit of a quandary. Do I leave buying the P4P+ as they may be bringing out a P5P? But when? Id guess sometime this month. I had expected something in April. That happened but all we got was a downgrade to the P4A.

Do I buy the P4P+ now at £1575 from a UK company or wait........... it will be sods law if I buy it now they bring out a new one. Then of course the P4P+ Prices will drop.

Do I buy the one from Drones for Less as it will still do what I want it to?

What would you do? Wait or buy now.

Just a quick update. I put all your views to Drones for Less and this is the reply I got......................

Now I have a little bit of a quandary. Do I leave buying the P4P+ as they may be bringing out a P5P? But when? Id guess sometime this month. I had expected something in April. That happened but all we got was a downgrade to the P4A.

Do I buy the P4P+ now at £1575 from a UK company or wait........... it will be sods law if I buy it now they bring out a new one. Then of course the P4P+ Prices will drop.

There will not be a P5 for at least 6 months, maybe not even until 2018. Technology changes very rapidly and there is always something new just around the corner, if you keep waiting your never own a drone. The P4 Pro is an excellent drone that you can't go wrong with

So, Drones For Less don't bother to reply to your mail but you are still considering buying from them - Based on your experience so far....what do you think their customer service will be like should you need it?

Buying from a UK company gives you peace of mind and guaranteed EU stock

As Richard says if you spend all your life waiting for the next release, you will never buy anything - the P4P range is less than 6 months old - there's no need to replace it just yet.

Try ringing around a few UK dealers, some may offer you a few percent discount

SLR Hut? You are one of the few people that have got a god word to say about them!

SlrHut is rated "Great" with 8.4 / 10 on Trustpilot

If you get rid of the obvious fake reviews (probably) placed by staff they are one to avoid and they are grey importers - An American company just like Drones For Less so all of my previous comments apply.

Try these people

Quadcopters UK DJI and Yuneec Main Dealer and FPV Racing Drones Superstore

They offered us 5% off earlier in the year - they may still be willing to do the same (or better) deal

Were Amazon a lot cheaper than Wex/QuadcoptersUK/First Person view? All of those do next day delivery

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor