Previous P3P Owners Who Own A P4

Reaction score
My first post in the P4 area. I just sold my P3P with DBS Mod and ordered a P4 standard, it's not in yet. The 4 Pro too rich for my blood now, but my rational for the P4 was it's faster, less prop in video and more battery life. Just wanting some input from people who used to own a P3P and now own a P4. Are you happy with it? Was it a wise choice? Just curious. Share your thoughts if you care to. I do plan on doing the DBS Mod.

Thanks in advance!
Paul

My first post in the P4 area. I just sold my P3P with DBS Mod and ordered a P4 standard, it's not in yet. The 4 Pro too rich for my blood now, but my rational for the P4 was it's faster, less prop in video and more battery life. Just wanting some input from people who used to own a P3P and now own a P4. Are you happy with it? Was it a wise choice? Just curious. Share your thoughts if you care to. I do plan on doing the DBS Mod.

Thanks in advance!
Paul
Hi yeh stepped up to p4 ,,awsomeheaps power heaps of range,,,heaps of fun,,,still got others but since p4 came they just parked up,,no comparason,,,i had mine at 78,3mph sport mode,,,flys nice at speed,,good 4 overtaking seagulls

Reactions: Paul A Byers

Thanks in advance!
Paul
I did the same thing, migrated from P3P to P4. I still have my P3P and I've done a lot of comparing between the two craft. You may not be thrilled with the P4 range at first, I wasn't. My stock P4 didn't have the range of my stock P3P, it was less than half. The P4 was always losing control signal at about 4000', even with windsurfer installed, when my P3P would go 10K easily, and often to 15000' in rural or areas over water with windsurfer.

I would also argue about your expectation of less prop in the video as wishful thinking. It's just not true. If you measure both birds, the camera on the P4 is 9mm higher than the P3P. The DJI propaganda that said the motors are mounted higher is totally false, the motors are identical height, but the camera is mounted higher. Mathematics tells me if the camera is higher in relation to the props, overall more prop spin will shown in the camera view, and that's what I see happening in my captures if I'm not careful.

Regarding the 40+mph speed, YES it's fun, but forget about capturing video in S mode, you'll get way too much prop in the camera view. And even in P mode with OA disabled, you can do about 32mph, but the props get in the view too often also. Only in P mode with OA enabled (17mph to 19mph tops) you will be fairly safe of no props in the view. By the way, with OA enable DJI says it will do 22mph, mine won't, unless you enable RTH and then it will, exactly 22mph.

You know how your P3 would lose video when you get out to the range limit, but you still had control of the craft, which allows you to ascend to regain video? The P4 doesn't work that way because the RC has a weak signal. Most of the time when you lose signal with a P4, you lose the control signal first, which automatically disconnects video too. This means you'll have more auto RTH events with P4 than P3P. My P3P has never lost control signal, ever.

If you're disappointed in the P4 range, many P4 owners buy the DBS02 antenna and Sunhan amps. You'll need that setup to be happy. Optionally you can buy an Inspire RC (GL658A) like I did, read about it here. That controller will allow the P4 to match what the P3P can do for range. The best range is achieved in my case by using the 32ch hack, fly ch30 with transmission quality set to 4mbps. My P4/GL658A will now do 3+miles in most rural areas or over water.

Last edited:
I did the same thing, migrated from P3P to P4. I still have my P3P and I've done a lot of comparing between the two craft. You may not be thrilled with the P4 range at first, I wasn't. My stock P4 didn't have the range of my stock P3P, it was less than half. The P4 was always losing control signal at about 4000', even with windsurfer installed, when my P3P would go 10K easily, and often to 15000' in rural or areas over water with windsurfer.

I would also argue about your expectation of less prop in the video as wishful thinking. It's just not true. If you measure both birds, the camera on the P4 is 9mm higher than the P3P. The DJI propaganda that said the motors are mounted higher is totally false, the motors are identical height, but the camera is mounted higher. Mathematics tells me if the camera is higher in relation to the props, overall more prop spin will shown in the camera view, and that's what I see happening in my captures if I'm not careful.

Regarding the 40+mph speed, YES it's fun, but forget about capturing video in S mode, you'll get way too much prop in the camera view. And even in P mode with OA disabled, you can do about 32mph, but the props get in the view too often also. Only in P mode with OA enabled (17mph to 19mph tops) you will be fairly safe of no props in the view. By the way, with OA enable DJI says it will do 22mph, mine won't, unless you enable RTH and then it will, exactly 22mph.

You know how your P3 would lose video when you get out to the range limit, but you still had control of the craft, which allows you to ascend to regain video? The P4 doesn't work that way because the RC has a weak signal. Most of the time when you lose signal with a P4, you lose the control signal first, which automatically disconnects video too. This means you'll have more auto RTH events with P4 than P3P. My P3P has never lost control signal, ever.

If you're disappointed in the P4 range, many P4 owners buy the DBS02 antenna and Sunhan amps. You'll need that setup to be happy. Optionally you can buy an Inspire RC (GL658A) like I did, read about it here. That controller will allow the P4 to match what the P3P can do for range. The best range is achieved in my case by using the 32ch hack, fly ch30 with transmission quality set to 4mbps. My P4/GL658A will now do 3+miles in most rural areas or over water.
Thanks for your input John. That being said, at least will part of my justification stand up in the case of longer battery life?

Thanks!
Paul

welcome Paul to the P4 club, i love mine , buddy got me hooked with his P3P and i seen what that thing could do , now he's over 5million ft and not slowing down ....so i did my R&D and stepped into the P4 ...upgraded the antenna and now i got all the signal strength i need for the battery life ...very happy

My story might be quite unique:
I actually downgraded from P4 to P3P! :)

I owned p3a for about 4 months and then traded it for a seconhand p4. The bird was only flown no more than 10 times, battery cycle was 5 so it was almost like buying new.

Sure it got dual IMU, OA, 5 more minutes of flight time, but me being a flyer that mostly using the bird for litchi missions, taking photos and videos along the way, i found myself cannot justify the extra $500. The video recording improvement can be easily achieved with a p3p.
I even bought HDMI module and zeiss cinemizer to try to enjoy p4's agility but bored just after few flight.
If anything, I even feel more stressed when the nice lady in litchi app told me that i lost connection to my bird. Because, you know, now i'll lost $500 more if something went wrong (god forbid).
This was for 3 months.

I'm lucky to be able to sold the p4 with the same price i bought it and even get to keep a (cheap) lens filter and hardshell backpack.
I then bought a secondhand p3p, a bird in perfectly good condition. I regained my $500, peace of mind in long missions and completely happy with it.

Ps: i know dual IMU suppose to get me peace of mind in long missions. But how often does an IMU fail mid flight?

Sent from my SM-N910H using PhantomPilots mobile app

I would also argue about your expectation of less prop in the video as wishful thinking. It's just not true. If you measure both birds, the camera on the P4 is 9mm higher than the P3P. The DJI propaganda that said the motors are mounted higher is totally false, the motors are identical height, but the camera is mounted higher..

John, that's very disappointing to hear as that is one of the reasons that I sold my P3P, at a small profit at least, in order to buy a P4, so that I would see props in my video less often.

Optionally you can buy an Inspire RC (GL658A) like I did, read about it here. That controller will allow the P4 to match what the P3P can do for range. The best range is achieved in my case by using the 32ch hack, fly ch30 with transmission quality set to 4mbps. My P4/GL658A will now do 3+miles in most rural areas or over water.

The P3P that I bought at Christmas time came with the GL300C, so I was expecting that any P4 would come with that same RC as well, making the distance a wash. I was planning to replace it with a GL300A, so based upon your extensive testing and knowledge, I have read all of your great range threads, do you think that is a valid point that a P3P and P4 would perform similarly with the GL300C? Also, doesn't the P4 have a more powerful video transmitter, so if I do replace the RC with a GL300A then I would be better off with the P4?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I am in the middle of doing the same thing as I have already sold my P3P and am waiting for a good deal on a P4 refurb. After reading a lot of reviews and forums posts, here are the reasons that I am doing the upgrade:

Stronger Dual-fork gimbal support
1080p120 frame rates for more slow-mo potential
REDUNDANT Compass and IMU
Great Stock Case
Props mounted higher
25% Faster Sport Mode
Forward Obstacle Avoidance
Better Position Hold Sensors
Slightly better lens
10% Longer Flight Time
Enhanced Flight Modes (with more potentially on the way...)
Integrated gimbal lock cover
Metal Device Holder Mount on RC

My story might be quite unique:
I actually downgraded from P4 to P3P! :)

I owned p3a for about 4 months and then traded it for a seconhand p4. The bird was only flown no more than 10 times, battery cycle was 5 so it was almost like buying new.

Sure it got dual IMU, OA, 5 more minutes of flight time, but me being a flyer that mostly using the bird for litchi missions, taking photos and videos along the way, i found myself cannot justify the extra $500. The video recording improvement can be easily achieved with a p3p.
I even bought HDMI module and zeiss cinemizer to try to enjoy p4's agility but bored just after few flight.
If anything, I even feel more stressed when the nice lady in litchi app told me that i lost connection to my bird. Because, you know, now i'll lost $500 more if something went wrong (god forbid).
This was for 3 months.

I'm lucky to be able to sold the p4 with the same price i bought it and even get to keep a (cheap) lens filter and hardshell backpack.
I then bought a secondhand p3p, a bird in perfectly good condition. I regained my $500, peace of mind in long missions and completely happy with it.

Ps: i know dual IMU suppose to get me peace of mind in long missions. But how often does an IMU fail mid flight?

Where are you seeing a $500 difference between the 3p and the 4? They look like they are both between $700 and $1000 depending on accessories. The 4 may trend about $100 higher

P3A with Nvidia Shield K1 tablet

Where are you seeing a $500 difference between the 3p and the 4? They look like they are both between $700 and $1000 depending on accessories. The 4 may trend about $100 higher

I agree, if you watch SlickDeals, you can snag a P3P refurb right now for $580 and hopefully a P4 refurb will come back around for $730 or so soon. Both come with 1 year warranty, just like new.

Last edited:

In Indonesia, used p3a was $600 (3months ago) and used p4 was around $1100.
New p4 is NOW $1200 and p4p $1800. I just realized that price difference varies across the globe.

less prop in video
Same design, same issues. If this is an important consideration the mavic's forward camera design is much better in this regard.

TBH if I had a P3P I probably wouldn't upgrade to a P4 as the advantages just don't seem that great to justify it. (I came from a P3S so even a P3P would be a huge step up)

Also the P4 supposedly has less range than the P3P as well according to other posters so you'll still have to spend up to get back what you lost. By that time you're inching closer to the price of a P4P.

I flew a P3 Advanced for a year before upgrading to a P4 and I'm not impressed. My P4 controller is glitchy and has to be rebooted several times to make a good connection. While flying, the connection goes out for about a second, every 10 or 15 seconds or so (blank screen). All the software is the latest version. It is worrisome to fly and causes stress. I'm using the same Android tablet that I have used for a year with the P3. The range on the P4 is noticeably less than the P3 and as others have said, I lose signal before video with the P4 which was the opposite of the P3. The P3A performed flawlessly every single time. It was reliable and fun to fly. The P4 makes a high frequency sound that the P3 didn't and the prop wash has a feathered sound to it that the P3 didn't (I know the prop designs are different). I see much more prop in the frame with the P4 than I did with the P3 and with the OA enabled, I've never seen more than 20 mph with a tailwind. I was always happy with the 2.7K video on the P3A since I always upload in 1080p anyway. Mind you, I've only had the P4 since Christmas with about a dozen flights so hopefully as time passes I can get more comfortable with the P4 and learn to trust it more.

John, that's very disappointing to hear as that is one of the reasons that I sold my P3P, at a small profit at least, in order to buy a P4, so that I would see props in my video less often.

The P3P that I bought at Christmas time came with the GL300C, so I was expecting that any P4 would come with that same RC as well, making the distance a wash. I was planning to replace it with a GL300A, so based upon your extensive testing and knowledge, I have read all of your great range threads, do you think that is a valid point that a P3P and P4 would perform similarly with the GL300C? Also, doesn't the P4 have a more powerful video transmitter, so if I do replace the RC with a GL300A then I would be better off with the P4?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
I have never flown the P3P with a GL300C, so I can't speak to that. MaxxUAS has noticed that the output of an RC can be influenced by the craft it's linked to. Meaning, the GL300C power transmit power when linked to a P3P can be different than when linked to a P4. I haven't confirmed that, but it's an interesting theory. My measurements didn't include switching links between craft and RC's, so I can't confirm that's the case. I have owned and flown P3P with GL300B and it seemed to have the same range as my original P3P with GL300A (which I still have).

What's strange with DJI model numbering system...... is the GL300C that ships with the P3P has a PAF mode switch. The GL300C that ships with the P4 has a PSA mode switch. Although the RC's are interchangeable from a flight communications point of view, and this is only a "LABELING" difference of the mode switch, they are not identical even though they have the same model number on the back. How can the same model RC have different mode switch labels? Since those mode switch labels are different on the same model RC, what else is different?

Reactions: bungrudi
Thanks for your input John. That being said, at least will part of my justification stand up in the case of longer battery life?

Thanks!
Paul
Yes, and the new 5840mah battery helps to, adding another 2min flight time. I have flown 25min when landing at 15%, so a safe flight of 22min is feasible most of the time unless you're in a lot of wind.

I am in the middle of doing the same thing as I have already sold my P3P and am waiting for a good deal on a P4 refurb. After reading a lot of reviews and forums posts, here are the reasons that I am doing the upgrade:

Stronger Dual-fork gimbal support
1080p120 frame rates for more slow-mo potential
REDUNDANT Compass and IMU
Great Stock Case
Props mounted higher
25% Faster Sport Mode
Forward Obstacle Avoidance
Better Position Hold Sensors
Slightly better lens
10% Longer Flight Time
Enhanced Flight Modes (with more potentially on the way...)
Integrated gimbal lock cover
Metal Device Holder Mount on RC
Those are all good reasons to migrate to a P4, except the props aren't mounted higher. That's simply not true, props are identical in height to P3P, but the camera is 9mm closer to the props. The P4 is a very good design, but the RC is weak and the camera gets slightly more prop in the view. The RC is fixable, just buy a better RC (GL658A or C, or GL300A). You can add 2X zoom to the P4 benefit list when using iOS Go app (not supported with Android Go). Zoom is very useful.

Reactions: bungrudi
I flew a P3 Advanced for a year before upgrading to a P4 and I'm not impressed. My P4 controller is glitchy and has to be rebooted several times to make a good connection. While flying, the connection goes out for about a second, every 10 or 15 seconds or so (blank screen). All the software is the latest version. It is worrisome to fly and causes stress. I'm using the same Android tablet that I have used for a year with the P3. The range on the P4 is noticeably less than the P3 and as others have said, I lose signal before video with the P4 which was the opposite of the P3. The P3A performed flawlessly every single time. It was reliable and fun to fly. The P4 makes a high frequency sound that the P3 didn't and the prop wash has a feathered sound to it that the P3 didn't (I know the prop designs are different). I see much more prop in the frame with the P4 than I did with the P3 and with the OA enabled, I've never seen more than 20 mph with a tailwind. I was always happy with the 2.7K video on the P3A since I always upload in 1080p anyway. Mind you, I've only had the P4 since Christmas with about a dozen flights so hopefully as time passes I can get more comfortable with the P4 and learn to trust it more.
EVERYTHING you said is identical to my experience, but I went from P3P to the P4. My RC was glitchy too, but maybe not as bad as yours. I would ALWAYS lose control signal first (at about 4000'), just like you. With my P3P I would always lose video first (at about 12,000'), but I still had control to ascend to regain the video link. Buy yourself a GL658A or C and be happy, that's how I fix my issues (except the prop view thing). As for the top speed with OA enabled in P mode, I've never broke 19mph with OA enabled, it's usually 16 to 17mph, except when I enable RTH, then it flies exactly 22mph. Go figure. I use OA to mimic Tripod mode, because it's so slow. If I get close to something to capture video, OA helps prevent mistakes, adding a level of insurance to the flight while slowing down the craft movements for smooth video shoots.

[QUOTE="Share your thoughts if you care to. I do plan on doing the DBS Mod.[/QUOTE]

I owned a P3 for almost a year before updating to a P4 in January. The P4 is great but, in hindsight, probably not worth the additional expense of upgrading. Contrary to what others have said, I don't believe the P4 is faster, at least in normal mode. In sports mode, however, it is considerably faster.

My observation is that the P4 may be slightly more stable when hovering in a wind but I've not done any formal testing.

The obstacle avoidance is a definite plus, not so much when you're under manual control but it would be useful in waypoint flights and return home mode.

I have not yet noticed any significant difference in range but, if anything, the P3 may have had slightly better range than the P4.

The visual tracking capability on te P4 is obviously a major step up from the P3 capabilities.

If we get some of the additional P4 Pro features (as speculated in various threads) then that may well make the P4 a much more competitve platform.

[QUOTE="Share your thoughts if you care to. I do plan on doing the DBS Mod.

The obstacle avoidance is a definite plus, not so much when you're under manual control but it would be useful in waypoint flights and return home mode.
[/QUOTE]

OA doesnt work with waypoints (and any other F mode). At least Litchi waypoints, which under the hood just leverage DJI made functions inherent in the firmware. I believe DJI GO waypoints will be the same case, could be wrong though as I never tried.

If only OA works with waypoints I would have kept my P4.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl