Post-Crash Check list

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if we could create some type of post-crash checklist for non-catastrophic crashes. Last week I was about to do some beach flying and, due to user error, I took off the wrong way and ended up in a palm tree. The palm tree eventually spit the P3 out and I killed the engines with a CSC, which LUCKILY landed the P3 top down in the sand. The only damage appeared to be a broken prop and another warped prop. With that being said, I wanted to make sure the entire craft was in flight ready condition to make sure it wasn't going to die on me during a future flight. This is what I did after the crash but I'd welcome any more steps.

1. Shut off the UAV/controller and remove the battery and props
  2. Clean all dirt/sand/debris off of the UAV using alcohol pads
  3. Manually turn the rotors while the UAV is upside down to dislodge any sand/dirt and then blow in each of them (or use compressed air) to remove anything remaining
  4. Check for gimbal range of motion, bent parts, or cracks
  5. Check camera for cracks or loose wires
  6. Check battery for structural damage
  7. Remove all props and check for any cracks or deformities. Replace any props that show ANY sign of damage
  8. Check all gimbal pads and drop protectors to make sure they are securely seated and in-tact
  9. Checked the entire frame for cracks including the landing gear
  10. Checked every motor to make sure it was seated properly and not loose (including all the screws)
  11. Blew sand/debris/dust out of every moving part (again)
  12. (Once calm after the crash) Re-insert battery into the drone
  13. Boot the drone on a flat surface and let it go through start-up
  14. Calibrate the compass and then the IMU
  15. Check gimbal for full range of motion using gimbal control and then by moving the UAV around
  16. Start motors without props and check for any wobble
  17. Shutdown motors, attach props, start motors again, and re-check for wobble
  18. Bring UAV to a hover slightly above eye-level and check for and strange movement/shaking
  19. While recording video, do basic maneuvers (forward, backward, left, right, yaw left, yaw right, up, down).
  20. Review video to make sure no additional shakiness existed.
  21. Do one longer distance flight low and slow (and not over water) to ensure everything continued to work

Sorry if that's a bit long but I wanted to make it thorough. I can't imagine something worse than exiting a survivable crash, only to have something that I could have fixed go on to cause a non-survivable crash. I wish I could also open the drone to check for all the connections being in place but that would likely void my warranty!

Feel free to chime in with any edits/additions. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckaye
I like it... couple things I would add -

1. I would discard props if they had been in a crash (anything more than a slight tip over in the grass or something) - not worth the risk IMHO.
2. Spin the motors without the props on and look for any wobble in the motor shaft.

Thanks for putting this together :)

I like it... couple things I would add -

1. I would discard props if they had been in a crash (anything more than a slight tip over in the grass or something) - not worth the risk IMHO.
2. Spin the motors without the props on and look for any wobble in the motor shaft.

Good call. I added the check for shaft wobble and will leave it up to people as to whether or not to do a full prop dump. It's probably worth the $16 to avoid one breaking off mid-flight though!

Before blowing the sand out, turn it upside down and spin the motors. This will minimise the chance of lodging foreign objects further into the motor.

Reactions: davemex
I like your brights.. Great idea and thanks for creating the list.

Hopefully I never have to refer to this, ever.. But a great idea.

RedHotPoker

Yeah. The first thing that went through my mind after it hit the ground was "OHH CRAP, WHERE DO I EVEN START?!" It's a terrible feeling I was just really lucky. I think the worst thing that you can do is panic though. I highly recommend trying to stay calm and do a damage assessment like this at first in case the UAV is fixable or salvageable. If you send a gimp drone back into the air, you might completely destroy it the next time.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl