Possible to Convert Phantom to 5.8 GHz?

Reaction score
A common complaint about the Phantom's use of the 2.4 GHz spectrum is that it crowd's wifi and prohibits use of the GoPro remote and other 802.11 interopability. The common workaround is to use a 5.8 GHz FPV system.

I was wondering if it's reasonably feasible instead to modify or replace the 2.4 GHz Tx and Rx modules to operate on the 5.8GHz spectrum instead so that FPV and other wifi-based RC can be done safely on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. I believe there would be two benefits of this:

1) Wifi-based FPV is cheaper than 5.8 GHz FPV; if you have a GoPro and a smart phone, it's free!
2) The most common household interference is on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. If I fly near a wifi network, I would rather see that interference manifest in my FPV system than in my flight control system.

Any thoughts on whether this is doable with the stock Tx/Rx, or if it would require moving entirely to a new system?

It would be possible through the replacement of the control rx and rx, like with the one the Vision.

However, I am not sure if you really want to do that. 2.4ghz generally have better range and penetration ability than 5.8ghz, which is why the Phantom Vision advertise 300m range while the Non-vision claims up to 1000m. You generally will not have an issue with other wifi based or 2.4ghz RC in the area due to frequency hopping, the only time where things will be bad is when you have another 2.4ghz tx right next to your aircraft's rx, like a wifi gopro mounted.

Note that the range of the gopro wifi is very low, and won't be very useful on most flying situations.

I agree. 5.8ghz is going to limit your range. I've flown in towns and campus areas that have free wifi broadcasted all over the place and haven't seen any interruptions. In a way you almost answer your own question. If you are flying with 2.4 ghz googles in FPV and you are in an area where you get interruptions, that could end up badly. You would need to remove the googles quickly and locate the phantom through line of sight (if you still have it) and be able to avoid obstacles that way. I would think if you are in an area where you have strong wifi, you are also in an area that is built up (trees, power lines, buildings, obstacles, etc). If you are in a wide open space like Idaho, you probably won't be seeing much, if any, other items on a 2.4ghz.

As far as the gopro wifi app, I've used it a lot with other filming and it has some major lag (haven't used the new + version) and also lacks range. Signal drops when you are 20 feet away or more. gorpo is designed to be worn and the app is meant for the user to control so they don't really need to give it any more than a few feet of range.

According to this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bxjL7wFyb8 ) they have fixed issues with fly aways and other interference problems in the firmware. Without being a programmer and reading the code you will just have to take their word on it.

I won't rehash the valid points that the others have stated. I will add that since you specifically mentioned "cheap fpv" there are some affordable options out there. My first fpv solution was a Boscam 5.8ghz Rx/Tx for around $50. I hooked up my vRx to an old portable DVD player. It works great. Since you already have the GoPro, you just need to buy the video out cable for under $10.

The stock antenna left a lot to be desired, but it's better than the Gopro wifi range by far. You can always upgrade the antennas too.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing