Possible motor bearing issue?

Reaction score
So today I took the phantom out for a couple flights without the camera, and noticed at higher speeds, it would make a choppy metal scraping sound from the motors (not a constant scraping sound, but a few scrapes here and there). When I brought it back in and listened to the motors spin at idle, it sounded normal, so I held it down and gave it throttle to see if I could hear it again and still nothing, so I tried another low altitude flyby and I heard it again. After that I just called it a day and brought it back inside. I haven't had any crashes lately, and it's only 6-7 months old. So, if it is the motor bearing(s), how can I find out for sure? Also what else could cause a scraping sound like that?

I hate to do this to you but, IT'S CAT HAIR... :lol: :lol:

Update: I decided to just take it apart and check everything, and everything looked good from what I could tell. I checked all the connections and they were all very secure, didn't notice anything wrong with the motors, or anything. So I put everything back together and took it out for another test flight and it seemed normal again. I hovered it for a good minute and listened for any noises and it sounded normal, did a couple flybys and it sounded normal, and even shot it up at full throttle in manual and it still seemed normal. Now I'm a little nervous, I really don't want to do any normal flying because I have a feeling something is going to go wrong in just a matter of time. So to play it safe, I think I'm just going to replace the motors and call it a day. I was kinda wanting to upgrade the motors anyways. lol

hum could of been the out side of the motor some how rubbing on the plastic ring in the top shell that goes around the motor???? the gap between the out side of the motor and the shell is pretty narrow.

I now times when I have been working on any of my phantoms with the shell just sitting on top and not screwed on and the motors rub on the plastic it is a honorable sound. and sound like metal on metal rubbing.

Do you have any new buildings around which could be bouncing a noise back at you in a new tone?

What kind of motors are you thinking about upgrading to? I need something more efficient at my elevation.

J.James said:
hum could of been the out side of the motor some how rubbing on the plastic ring in the top shell that goes around the motor???? the gap between the out side of the motor and the shell is pretty narrow.

I now times when I have been working on any of my phantoms with the shell just sitting on top and not screwed on and the motors rub on the plastic it is a honorable sound. and sound like metal on metal rubbing.

You know, that might be exactly what it was. I did notice around the battery door, the plastic was kinda popped out just a little, but I made sure to line everything up and snap everything back into place when I put it back together.

IflyinWY said:
Do you have any new buildings around which could be bouncing a noise back at you in a new tone?

What kind of motors are you thinking about upgrading to? I need something more efficient at my elevation.

no buildings really, just farm land and trees as far as the eyes can see, but I think I found out what the problem was. Still probably gonna do a motor upgrade. I heard the antigravity T-motors are pretty good, but this section might be closer to what you're looking for. http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/produc ... ency-Type/

The T motors are pretty good. I have a set in my phantom vision and When I want to take off there is no hesitation and it jumps up in the air like a jack rabbit. But I really want to put them on my FC40 cause about a few days after I put them in the p2v The jerks at dji put a speed limit in the firmware so even with my t motors I cant go any faster. But the FC40 dont have any lame restrictions like that. I know that puppy would cruise with the t motors. I need to regain my top spot on the flytrax speed rankings after some other person bumped me down to 2'nd place. I think the T motors are going to be the key to squezzeing another 10mph out of the FC40

Nice, Very nice

Yep, it's kinda cool flying a machine that just does what it's told instead of referring to it's memory to find out if it's okay. ;)

So, Kitari,
Can you do flips and crazy flying with a P2, or would the firmware limit you. Not sure if anyone with the P2 does what you do.

IflyinWY said:
Nice, Very nice

Yep, it's kinda cool flying a machine that just does what it's told instead of referring to it's memory to find out if it's okay. ;)

So, Kitari,
Can you do flips and crazy flying with a P2, or would the firmware limit you. Not sure if anyone with the P2 does what you do.

Good question, but unfortunately I don't think I can answer that. I've never flown a P2, but if I ever get my hands on one I'll let ya know. I don't think it would be much of an issue though. You might have to have a little more room to recover than you normally would, but other than that, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

J.James said:
The T motors are pretty good. I have a set in my phantom vision and When I want to take off there is no hesitation and it jumps up in the air like a jack rabbit. But I really want to put them on my FC40 cause about a few days after I put them in the p2v The jerks at dji put a speed limit in the firmware so even with my t motors I cant go any faster. But the FC40 dont have any lame restrictions like that. I know that puppy would cruise with the t motors. I need to regain my top spot on the flytrax speed rankings after some other person bumped me down to 2'nd place. I think the T motors are going to be the key to squezzeing another 10mph out of the FC40

Sounds like fun! I bet it would really scream in manual. It's pretty fast as it is, but an extra 10mph would be wild! Also good luck getting back into that #1 spot! Have you tried strapping it on your car and flooring it? That should do the trick right? :lol:

Sounds like fun! I bet it would really scream in manual. It's pretty fast as it is, but an extra 10mph would be wild! Also good luck getting back into that #1 spot! Have you tried strapping it on your car and flooring it? That should do the trick right? :lol:

I never have tried in manual yet. But I would be it would boogy Tho I'm seem quite a few videos were they went real fast in manual. Tho it was more like crashed really really fast and really hard. lol Just like flipping a switch and they went from flying fine to crash and burn as soon as they flipped the switch in to manual. But I have just recently seen some one that know what they were doing doing flips with the fc40 that was pretty cool. But still not sure if I ever want to try it. and I know i definitely dont want to ever try it with my p2v being thats to much $ flying around to risk even trying maunal mode.

But ya the car thing might give me that extra 10mph but not as fun. Tho it might also get me a speeding ticket.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl