Portable Landing Field

Reaction score
I'm trying to find the best way to make a portable landing field, when I say portable, I mean something easy to carry and lightweight, but with the ability to get a levelled field on not levelled ground.
Any ideas?

I think most of the guys that are in your situation carefully catch it by hand.
This is best accomplished by using a neck strap on the radio, so you can use one hand to catch the landing gear.

Thanks Audaciter.
But although the option you say is good, How do you take off in an irregular ground? Like an example: beach? With the danger of the sand....

But although the option you say is good, How do you take off in an irregular ground? Like an example: beach? With the danger of the sand....

That's a good question, especially with the sand, that could damage your motors.

Taking off, will only require a small surface area, slightly larger than the Phantom, such as a piece of cardboard, plywood,or beach mat.

Landing precisely on a small object would be much more difficult than catching it though.

Audaciter said:

That's a good question, especially with the sand, that could damage your motors.

Taking off, will only require a small surface area, slightly larger than the Phantom, such as a piece of cardboard, plywood,or beach mat.

Landing precisely on a small object would be much more difficult than catching it though.

I've used my GoPro Phantom case to take off from but always hand catch when the takeoff/landing area is not the best.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yes, I use my phantom case too, but as Audaciter says, its not so easy to land on a small place, and more when the wind is playing with your phantom...
For you all grab your phantom instead of landing, which part of the phantom is the best one to get it with no risk?

I carry my Phantom, batteries, FPV monitor and other small accessories in a rectangular plastic tub -- the kind you see in any hardware store or Walmart. It makes an excellent launch pad, easy to level up with loose sand or even a piece of a branch; whatever is lying around. The Phantom fits in the tub without having to remove the props so when I arrive at a place I'm ready to fly in a few minutes.

I set my timer for a 5 minute warning -- this gives me plenty of time to bring the Phantom in close for a minute or so of practice maneuvers and a careful hand-catch. I grab it by the landing gear and then push the throttle stick down to shut off the motors.

Arangu said:
Yes, I use my phantom case too, but as Audaciter says, its not so easy to land on a small place, and more when the wind is playing with your phantom...
For you all grab your phantom instead of landing, which part of the phantom is the best one to get it with no risk?

Landing gear. Not a real issue. Just have your finger on the throttle for cut off.

E

I have a friend who operates his Phantom in many locations where suitable take off and landing areas are problematic. He both hand launches and hand catches his Phantom.

fizzviic said:
I have a friend who operates his Phantom in many locations where suitable take off and landing areas are problematic. He both hand launches and hand catches his Phantom.

hand catching is really great if you've got a low slung gimbal attached and you don't want to risk damaging it.
.. it's almost easier as well.

I've launched and landed from the top of my car and a large overturned bucket (used to hold detergent).

When I fly at Santa Monica beach I launch and land from the top of the trashcans.

not5150 said:
I've launched and landed from the top of my car and a large overturned bucket (used to hold detergent).

When I fly at Santa Monica beach I launch and land from the top of the trashcans.

The detergent bucket is good idea!! But maybe too small to land?

not5150 said:

The detergent bucket is a good idea!! But maybe too small to land?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl