POLL: Who flies beyond VLOS?

Who flies beyond VLOS?

• Total voters
Reaction score
We all know FAA guidelines say we're all supposed to fly within VLOS (cannot use binoculars), which is usually 1500' at best to see our drones, maybe more with a black Inspire. But we have the ability to fly over 2mi away in most areas with the latest Lightbridge, and even with older Lightbridge (2015) 2 to 3mi is possible with Windsurfer.

Last edited:
I sometimes fly out of VLOS, but only over a huge deserted estuary, and even then only at low tide. If the bird goes down it is definitely lost forever, no way a human can walk out there.
I do enjoy the experience of controlling and navigating from the tablet and am a much better Pilot as a result.
My P4 will easily go out 8000-9000 ft in these conditions with no loss of signal or video, I always fly back (not RTH) as it is good training, actually very easy just follow the line on your screen.

We all know FAA guidelines say we're all supposed to fly within VLOS (cannot use binoculars), which is usually 1500' at best to see our drones, maybe more with a black Inspire. But we have the ability to fly over 2mi away in most areas with the latest Lightbridge, and even with older Lightbridge (2015) 2 to 3mi is possible with Windsurfer.
HI not a lot but yes and only at dusk with help of strobes which help heaps with vlos,,:)

Reactions: captainmilehigh
First few times since weather got nice enough to fly, , over farm fields to an old tower located on a derelict steel plant. Hardly a soul within 10-12 miles, an outstanding area to fly for now.
I;ve just flown back manually, following the mission as shown on litchi screen.
Only drawback are those darn ultra-light guys, who seem to fly at 100' or so

"The longest 4 minutes of my life?" I really don't want to say that and have something bad happen, but I also badly want to make a 4 min total flight 5000ft to my friends house, hover 10 seconds, then return... Totally outside VLOS due to forest between us and fact that my p2v3+ range is only about 1200' anyway... I used to fly WP missions all the time way out of VLOS but have become more and more concerned this last year of hitting some ******* low flying piper or helicopter that fly around here... Oh the anguish! Would you do it? it's ONLY 4 minutes...

On a good day I may be able to see my drone from a couple of hundred feet away, but just as a tiny speck. I would not be able to tell its heading, attitude, altitude, speed or even if it is facing me or the opposite direction. I could not tell if it is about to collide with a tree, a paraglider or a power pylon. I definitely could not tell if I am running out of power or if one of the motors has a problem.

To me it is then pretty pointless to argue whether I am flying within VLOS or beyond.

Mind you, these definitions were designed for RC model planes in mind, when you had to fly actively, or they would crash. But a drone is not a RC model plane. It is a flying robot. The pilot enters the request and the drone delivers the solution. VLOS is in this case not nearly as important as for instance keeping track of the remaining battery charge.

What I think is more crucial is to keep the vertical separation to other aircraft. That's the reason why I never fly higher than 300 feet.

Last edited:
Never. Flying BVLOS is probably one of the most dangerous things to do with your UAV.
Has nothing to do with what's on the ground.

The ground? Not my farthest distance but reasonable near 4km or 12900 plus feet. Have done 15000 ft distance.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The ground? Not my farthest distance but reasonable near 4km or 12900 plus feet. Have done 15000 ft distance.

I think he means that there is an increased risk for a mid-air collision with an aircraft.

Last edited:
I think he means that there is an increased risk for mid-air collision with an aircraft.
Well not everyone flies in an area where there are aircraft. Like me. There are no private aircraft allowed where I live and commercial aircraft are not allowed to fly anywhere near the mountains where I live. Means I can do flights like this using max height and long distances.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Consider this: FAA says we should maintain VLOS at all times. Well, if you interpret that literally, we ALL violate that rule every time we
look down at our controllers.
No they don't.

They ask that you scan the sky periodically and scan your screen periodically. Just like a real pilot would. When you study for your 107, it's written out on how you should scan the sky while watching your screen. Then there is questions on the test about it.

There is absolutely no see and avoid capability when you fly BVLOS. Zero. If you think your little screen showing a delayed 720 feed is, you should probably put your controller down and reevaluate your thought process.

@blackcrusader , do you mind explaining more about the area you fly in? To my understanding, if your in the US and your in a NFZ, your UAV is supposed to follow the same guidelines.

Reactions: W. Matt Burchfield
At the risk of being flogged, yeah I routinely fly beyond VLOS simply because of where I live. Beyond the first 100 metres of my take off point, there is not another living soul for 10klms and its all mine and I use it. If I lose it, the kangaroos and snakes can keep it.
That's fun mate. You must be from England haha.

Do you post any videos from down under?

@blackcrusader do you mind explaining more about the area you fly in? To my understanding, if your in the US and your in a NFZ, your UAV is supposed to follow the same guidelines.

Well obviously I am not in the USA and the location is on the video I posted. Yushan Taiwan. aka Jade Mountain. I am not in a no fly zone. What I wrote is that commercial aircraft are not allowed to fly where I live. Here you can see where aircraft can fly and you can see Yushan in the south east of the island.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan