Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Polar Pro PL series

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by marzipana, Mar 6, 2016.

1. marzipana

I just received my Polar Pro 6 filter pack...I have a question about the PL filters, the PL, the ND8/PL and the ND16/PL...do they need to be screwed on in a certain way, like an ND grad would on a camera lens? When I hold them up to the light, I can't see any variation in light/dark in the glass...normally the darker area would be at the top of the filter to darken skies and leave the ground unaffected...but I can't detect any differentiation in these.

For those of you who own these, do you just screw them on or do you somehow have to check for light/dark areas to make sure the dark part of the filter is at the top of the lens, and if so, how do you do this, do you have to power up your Phantom and check the camera view with the Go app?

Thanks,
    Tamara

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

I find it easiest to see the filter change while turning it in front of a computer screen. The dark area of the filter should be covering whatever reflective light you're trying to block out.

For tips on how polarizing filters work in general, check out this video:

And, this guy explains how to remember where the darker areas of the filter are located:

#2 msinger, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  3. marzipana

Thanks Msinger, really appreciate your help once again! :)

4. marzipana

I just realized, none of these filters are graduated, which is what I'm used to with the dslr gear, that's why I couldn't find a dark and a light section...this all depends on how you rotate them. With that in mind, given they make everything dark, sky and land, how do you find your results when using them? I think the only graduated filters PP have are the colored ones, where the top of the filter is blue or orange.

Makes me wonder how you achieve a darker sky without darkening the ground as well?

5. msinger

Approved Vendor

SRP makes this GND filter. I own it and like the quality and results, but it's extremely tough to slide on and off the camera. For that reason, I don't use it much.

6. marzipana

Thank you...I think that's part of the reason I went for the Polar Pro, they're very easy to screw on and remove again.

7. msinger

Approved Vendor

I own many brands of filters. The SRP filters are the only filters that don't fit properly. Well, that's my opinion I suppose. I contacted SRP and they told me that's as-designed.

8. jiggyb21

I basically settle for somewhat unsatisfactory results with all of my ND filters. I'm certainly no pro but the need for a graduated filter is obvious to me and they do exist. The bottom line for me: properly exposing the sky means the ground is to dark. Proper ground exposure and the sky is blown out. Fixable in post on shorter clips, but too much work on longer clips.

9. With The Birds

You can trust your tertestial photograoher skills here, same principals apply as for your dslr polarising filters.

I would check the ultimate rotation for best effect on site though (rather than the computer monitor trick). As you have no doubt learned the ultimate orientation of the filter usually varies when you move the camera around with respect to the position of the sun.

10. fastsmiles

UAV Bits has graduated filters

11. marzipana

I haven't learned it yet, LOL, I haven't had a chance to try them out, and I've only ever used a CPL or neutral grad on my camera...I guess some experimentation is in order. Is there any point to using one of these filters on a cloudy day, or do you guys only make use of them on bright, blue sky days?

12. marzipana

Thank you, will keep that in mind. I just spent $200 on these PP filters, so cash is a bit tight for more P3 stuff right now. :(

13. sonof40

Are these for video too or just photography?