POI subject off-center, advice?

Reaction score
I have only tried 2-3 POI videos, but on every one of them my subject has ended off slightly off center to the left. I am confident that I'm centered above the subject when I lock in the POI.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I can see you doing slight stick adjustments..
Have a look at the flight log and see if you are directly on top of the structure when POI is initiated.

I can see you doing slight stick adjustments..
Have a look at the flight log and see if you are directly on top of the structure when POI is initiated.

My hands were completely off the controller.

My hands were completely off the controller.

oh... looks like there was some adjustments happening.. Maybe turn off or on the asynchronous yaw (Android GO app). The yaw is doing something in your vid.
Just check the flight log and see if you were directly above the POI and that the circle is a circle.

I have only tried 2-3 POI videos, but on every one of them my subject has ended off slightly off center to the left. I am confident that I'm centered above the subject when I lock in the POI.

Thoughts?

Mt. Soledad doesn't take well to misspellings. :rolleyes: That probably explains it. ;)
You can easily recenter the POI in the frame by using the controls during the orbiting. However, the off center view looks a little better. Check the flight log to see if you were, in fact, flying perfect circles. If you are, once you center your POI in the frame during orbiting, it should stay there. If you aren't flying perfect circles around your POI, then that is the problem, and either the POI was not directly below (make sure the camera is facing straight down, and not elevated at all), or you are inadvertently touching the sticks.

every one of them my subject has ended off slightly off center
I've noticed the same thing in every POI video I've seen so far. It probably has something to do with the GPS not being 100% accurate.

I get the same results. Seems like a fight back and forth to keep the object centered. Most of mine have been close ups (ie. top of a Comms tower), and I thought maybe further back might fix it. Your video shows otherwise. [emoji53]

JPEG image-87F3A7AE7561-1.jpeg

Also, I rewatched the flight log and there were no inadvertent stick movements during the POI loop.

According to that flag, it looks pretty windy. How are your results in less wind? How about trying to correct by hitting focus? I do agree though- I like a less perfect orbit.

I've noticed the same thing in every POI video I've seen so far. It probably has something to do with the GPS not being 100% accurate.
On a GPS that can return the P3P to within 3 feet of its Home Point setting, that can't be it. It is far more likely something in the way the orbit algorithm was written. It may very well be intentional, as a slightly off center POI is more interesting than a bull's eyed one. Think Rule of Thirds.

Also, I rewatched the flight log and there were no inadvertent stick movements during the POI loop.
Your orbit circle looks quite circular and you didn't alter it inadvertently. It is simply the default camera angle in the POI orbit that is creating the offcenter POI. You can change that during the orbit, if you want it perfectly centered. It won't alter the circle radius or the circle.

Circle looks perfect to me, I cant see any corners :)
The only thing I can really think of is the asynchronous yaw outsmarting itself. Some find the asynchronous yaw annoying as it overshoots/overcompensates the subject when you stop yawing. Use an Android and disable it.

Orbiting is also really easy to do manually. Just push both sticks horizontally in opposite directions while keeping your POI centered, depending upon whether you want a clockwise or counter-clockwise rotation. It takes a little practice, but it's fun to learn, and gratifying when you master it. No need to first fly over the top of your POI. :cool:

It appears to be intentional that it is off center on the left, because it is so consistent. You'll see it in this instructional video, as well.

According to that flag, it looks pretty windy. How are your results in less wind? How about trying to correct by hitting focus? I do agree though- I like a less perfect orbit.
The orbit itself is perfect. The POI simply isn't bull's eyed into the center of the frame. It is always slightly offset for a more compelling view, unless you alter it.

Actually I like the video composition where the cross isn't in the center. The rule of thirds is an essential photography technique. :)

Do a very small and low poi with the camera facing straight down. Maybe will reveal the true path of the bird.

Do a very small and low poi with the camera facing straight down. Maybe will reveal the true path of the bird.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl