Plugging in the video crashes the GoPro

Reaction score
When I plug in the video ribbon cable from the gimbal into the USB port on the GoPro Hero 4 the camera crashes and all buttons/controls become disabled. I then have to remove the battery in order to turn off the camera.
Any help would be great.
Thanks,
James

Try putting tape over the voltage contacts on the plug. Just leave the video contacts uncovered. This was helping some folks who had interference issues.
You'll have to search for that thread to find the pictures of what they covered, or else use your multimeter to figure out the right pair.

Inspect the flex. I think it's been damaged or compromised.
Dji would have supplied a spare cable in the h33d package. It's very easy to change. Just take your time and lift the tab and slide it in. And take a photo before you start so you know if it's installed incorrectly.

Thanks, I did change the cable and the problem is now intermittent will intermittent. I did firmware updates on both the camera and the craft. So far it's been pretty good.

I'm having the same freeze problem with my GoPro Hero 4 Black when I insert the video output board connector from the H3-3D gimbal (version 1.1--For Phantom 2 only) into the GoPro's mini-USB port and turn the GoPro on.

Just like you, I have to remove the frozen GoPro from gimbal and take out its battery to power it off. After battery reinsertion, everything's fine with the camera until I stick it back on the gimbal, insert the connector, and power the camera back on.

On the other hand, my GoPro Hero 3 Black works fine on the same H3-3D, which to me, in my case, rules out any video output board ribbon cable damage.

With a magnifying glass, I looked at and compared the insides of the mini-USB ports of the two GoPro's. There is a discernible design difference between the two. Whether that's the possible problem, who knows?

The Zenmuse gimbal, Phantom 2 (v2.0), and both GoPro's have latest firmware updates as of 11 Jan 2015.

Update (12 Jan 2015): Just to make sure it's not a problem with output board connector ribbon cable, I replaced existing ribbon cable and connector head with brand new ones. Made no difference. Hero 3 Black worked fine. Hero 4 Black went comatose once again.

For anyone interested, attached photo shows difference between Hero 4 Black and Hero 3 Black USB bays (ports)---both have 5-pin configuration but slightly different designs.

Attachments

• hero4_hero3_usb_bay_comparison_12jan2015.jpg
    hero4_hero3_usb_bay_comparison_12jan2015.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 393
I am having a variation of the power problem with my H3-3D/GP4S/IOSDII/NazaMV2/F550/6s. My plan was to manually power up the GP4s then manually put it in record mode. I did not connect the power connection from the IOSDII to the H3-3D GCU but did connect the USB plug to the GP4 assuming it would feed video to the IOSD/VtX when I manually powered up the GP4s. When I power up the 550 the GP4 appears to be powered up but no display in the front window and I can not start recording by manually using the record button. If I power cycle the GP4S I can then start recording by manually pushing the record button. This is a non Phantom installation but appears to me the H3-3D was never tested with my components(All DJI). The H4-3D may address these problems sometime in February but what about the current H3-3D/GP4 issues?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl