Pixel shimmering?

Reaction score
Hi guys, just a quick question about what I call pixel shimmer, not sure of the actual name but have noticed on the edges of photo objects you get a shimmer or like a wave affect going through it. I am thinking maybe having something to do with the signal. If I am correct how do I fix the problem. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Hard to know exactly what you are talking about with pictures....

However it sounds like the flicker effect that is often noted when you are shooting video at high shutter speeds. All cameras will do this, the trick is to control shutter speed. For a typical film like look, you try to get in the neighborhood of 2x the framerate. So if you are shooting at 30 fps, you want a shutter speed of 1/60 or so. Of course, lighting changes make this difficult which is why a professional filmmaker will spend hours or days lining up shots with lighting, lenses, etc. Most of us aren't quite that OCD. But if you are seeing the effect at high shutter speeds 1/200 or higher, I would suspect this is the problem.

The fix is to use a neutral density filter (ND filter) to slow the shutter speed. Lots of posts on this. You can also fix it in post with some of the more powerful editors but it's easier to fix in the shoot.

Hard to know exactly what you are talking about with pictures....

However it sounds like the flicker effect that is often noted when you are shooting video at high shutter speeds. All cameras will do this, the trick is to control shutter speed. For a typical film like look, you try to get in the neighborhood of 2x the framerate. So if you are shooting at 30 fps, you want a shutter speed of 1/60 or so. Of course, lighting changes make this difficult which is why a professional filmmaker will spend hours or days lining up shots with lighting, lenses, etc. Most of us aren't quite that OCD. But if you are seeing the effect at high shutter speeds 1/200 or higher, I would suspect this is the problem.

The fix is to use a neutral density filter (ND filter) to slow the shutter speed. Lots of posts on this. You can also fix it in post with some of the more powerful editors but it's easier to fix in the shoot.

I get great footage straight off my Phantom4 but it goes shimmery when I put it through my EDIUS editting software. Even after rendering. Any suggestions?
I film at 1920x1080 at 23.98fps. I edit at 1920x1080 50fps Interlaced. Is this where the problem lies?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl