Pine Trees and Cell Phones

Well being water absorbs microwaves rather than deflecting it.. and plants/trees hold great amounts of water.

Naturally flying in fog/rain/clouds/ect will reduce signal strength
Helps me with my standard :)

You saying you can't get no distance in moisture ?
Depends on how deep the water is...

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
Helps me with my standard :)

For starters, you didn't fly in "rain". Second, relative humidity plays a big roll in such. Just because there is random drops of rain doesn't mean much. Naturally the more/heavier the rain the more it will reduce RF from traveling efficiently.

In summary - there are a lot of variables so no, it does not help with your standard. You were just flying in an area with low RF interference that day.

Good video though. Looks like it was a fun flight!

Also I notice it says "Flight distance".. so you didn't really fly out 3 miles did you? More like 1.5 miles out and 1.5 miles back to you? I'm unsure how to read that but my screen on my tablet shows my total flight as "flight distance" which is the total distance traveled for said flight.
Reason why I question it is because I have a VERY hard time believing a wifi setup can allow the standard to fly the distance an Advance/Pro can fly unless you did an autopilot flight where RF connectivity was not required to reach X distance, or you have an aftermarket wifi setup.

For starters, you didn't fly in "rain". Second, relative humidity plays a big roll in such. Just because there is random drops of rain doesn't mean much. Naturally the more/heavier the rain the more it will reduce RF from traveling efficiently.

In summary - there are a lot of variables so no, it does not help with your standard. You were just flying in an area with low RF interference that day.

It was and thanks . I do get better distance in high humidity and that's where I do most of my long runs . I don't know why but clear days I don't do as good .It started to drizzle about 2 miles out and thought I could beat it back but noooo :)

Also I notice it says "Flight distance".. so you didn't really fly out 3 miles did you? More like 1.5 miles out and 1.5 miles back to you? I'm unsure how to read that but my screen on my tablet shows my total flight as "flight distance" which is the total distance traveled for said flight.
Reason why I question it is because I have a VERY hard time believing a wifi setup can allow the standard to fly the distance an Advance/Pro can fly unless you did an autopilot flight where RF connectivity was not required to reach X distance, or you have an aftermarket wifi setup.
Look at that again... the movie is just as it went into RTH at 16,000+ feet out. And the map shows the bird (red dot) at the furthest point and home at the other end of the line.

Well remember you may get better distance in said weather as you're "local RF" vs widespread RF. I'd say maybe on clear days there is too much interference coming from all sorts of sources but the weather can reduce that interference thus giving you "better" connectivity.

Just a thought but end of the day - your flight distance will always be what they will be for the most part out of your control.

"FPVLR Dipoles" <aftermarket antenna boosters?

Argument is null. I knew there was something fishy about this setup.

"FPVLR Dipoles" <aftermarket antenna boosters?

Argument is null. I knew there was something fishy about this setup.
No it's not :)

I recall reading about this about 20 years ago & I am surprised Verizon engineers didn't know better. It has to do with the shape & length of pine tree needles which is similar to the wave length of cellular frequencies and readily absorbs/blocks the signals. You shouldn't have a problem if you maintain LOS to the aircraft ABOVE the trees. It is trying to send signals THROUGH the trees that causes issues.

Hey Guys and Gals,
Many of you may or may not know that Pine Trees will most definately interfere with Cell Phone reception and sending. I talked with a Verizon Engineer and after installing 100 towers in Georgia beside one of the Interstate's, Verizon thought they had complete coverge only to find huge gaps between the towers. After doing some high tech research, they found that the frequency of Pine Trees and Cell phones are the same. Verizon then had to turn around and put in 40 more towers. This is something that I take seriously and think you should as well. I am sure there will be those out there that will want to disagree and that is your right to. I have a National Forest in my backyard and will not fly over the pines and always keep my Phantom in sight at all times. There is no way that I will fly an atonamous out of sight over pine forests. A few trees here and might not be a problem but just to be safe I stay totally away from Pine Trees when flying.

I agree with ya bout the line of sight DB . About all we have here in N/E MS is Pines now and as long as I'm about 300' where I fly I do ok .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl