Photos of Violations

In North Dakota the police just shot the drones out of the air with shotguns. But then they were also shooting the indigenous population with tear gas and spraying them with water in sub zero weather.

I heard about that. If it gets to the point where the police in your area are defending the contractors against protestors then you will probably not need to be there photographing the pipeline violations though.

Interesting; I went to high school with your US representative, Brian Mast (at least I'm guessing he's your rep- drum creek looks to be right on the border of his district...). If copies of these happened across his desk, I'd hardly imagine he'd be more concerned with how the photos were taken than the content in them.

Reactions: August
Oh, chances are good that you will be investigated, at least by the police. There is then the chance that they will refer the information to the FAA. The FAA _will_ then look at the information and move on.
I suspect you don't know this to be fact, not helpful advice. How could you know the FAA won't investigate?

Interesting; I went to high school with your US representative, Brian Mast (at least I'm guessing he's your rep- drum creek looks to be right on the border of his district...). If copies of these happened across his desk, I'd hardly imagine he'd be more concerned with how the photos were taken than the content in them.

We could undoubtedly make a really long list of all the people and agencies who would not care how they were taken. The FAA, unfortunately, would not be on it.

Reactions: BigAl07
I did not say that they won't investigate. Here is part of my post:

"The FAA _will_ then look at the information and move on."
Move on suggests take no action, and in this instance is what you clearly meant having regard to at least two of your earlier posts in this thread. Stating it's your opinion would be preferable to giving people a false sense of security.

Reactions: Crack The Sky
The FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) regulates, monitors and investigates electricity, natural gas, natural gas pipelines, LNG terminals. I was told by John Picone in Washington DC that they do not have enough inspectors to continuously monitor the pipeline. I was given an attaboy for helping them out. I make no money at it and donate my time. I fly well within the FAA guidelines. We only have one Earth and only so much water.
You are not flying with-in FAA regulations. The flight is not recreational, hence it is commercial and requires a Part 107.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

Flying for Fun (recreational or hobby)

1. What is the definition of recreational or hobby use of a UAS?
    Recreational or hobby UAS use is flying for enjoyment and not for work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire. In the FAA's Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, the FAA relied on the ordinary, dictionary definition of these terms. UAS use for hobby is a "pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation." UAS use for recreation is "refreshment of strength and spirits after work; a means of refreshment or division."

If this is outside your job, you are doing it for fun and you nor anyone else is making money OR using the video for "furtherance of any business " then I would say not part 107.

Flying for Fun (recreational or hobby)

1. What is the definition of recreational or hobby use of a UAS?
    Recreational or hobby UAS use is flying for enjoyment and not for work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire. In the FAA's Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, the FAA relied on the ordinary, dictionary definition of these terms. UAS use for hobby is a "pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation." UAS use for recreation is "refreshment of strength and spirits after work; a means of refreshment or division."

If this is outside your job, you are doing it for fun and you nor anyone else is making money OR using the video for "furtherance of any business " then I would say not part 107.
Right. So the question is - is the pilot doing this in furtherance of making money in any way. Are you employed by some group that is involved in this issue?

Right. So the question is - is the pilot doing this in furtherance of making money in any way. Are you employed by some group that is involved in this issue?
Money has nothing to do with it! The FAA never discusses receiving any form of compensation. No grey area, either you are flying recreationally or under Part 107. Hard to defend taking photos to document potential environmental violations as a recreational activity. Since he sends thes photos to the Corps of Engineers and FERC, he is, in effect aiding in the furtherance of their business! If the supposed violators file a complaint (I don't condone screwing up the environment, but if it was me I would be filing) with the FAA, the OP would suddenly become the defendant!! And since the photos were taken as part of an 'illegal' activity, any lawyer worth his title could get them thrown out of any legal actions!,

Reactions: Crack The Sky
Money has nothing to do with it! The FAA never discusses receiving any form of compensation. No grey area, either you are flying recreationally or under Part 107. Hard to defend taking photos to document potential environmental violations as a recreational activity. If the supposed violators file a complaint (I don't condone screwing up the environment, but if it was me I would be filing) with the FAA, the OP would suddenly become the defendant!! And since the photos were taken as part of an 'illegal' activity, any lawyer worth his title could get them thrown out of any legal actions!,
I read it a little differently - the opposite of recreationally is commercially. Was this commerce?

I read it a little differently - the opposite of recreationally is commercially. Was this commerce?

Quote:

Recreational or hobby UAS use is flying for enjoyment and not for work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire...UAS use for hobby is a "pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation." UAS use for recreation is "refreshment of strength and spirits after work; a means of refreshment or division."

This isn't really clear - but IMO the operative words are "..not for work, business purposes or for compensation or hire." This use MAY qualify as recreational - "refreshment of strenth and spirits..." Just my opinion but as long as the pilot was not doing this to furtherance his work, and not planning on selling vid/pix, this would seem to be totally legal.

Reactions: Schnoidz
Nope, the opposite of recreational use is Part 107. In the executive summary of Part 107, it states that it is to " allow sUAS to operate for non-hobby, non-recreational purposes." And it further states that hobby or recreational purposes are those flown in accordance with Part 336. Not much wiggle room there!

Nope, the opposite of recreational use is Part 107. In the executive summary of Part 107, it states that it is to " allow sUAS to operate for non-hobby, non-recreational purposes." And it further states that hobby or recreational purposes are those flown in accordance with Part 336. Not much wiggle room there!

Might it be someone's hobby to document environmental crimes? I don't see why not. In any event the safe thing to do is get the Part 107 license.

Quote:

Recreational or hobby UAS use is flying for enjoyment and not for work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire...UAS use for hobby is a "pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation." UAS use for recreation is "refreshment of strength and spirits after work; a means of refreshment or division."

This isn't really clear - but IMO the operative words are "..not for work, business purposes or for compensation or hire." This use MAY qualify as recreational - "refreshment of strenth and spirits..." Just my opinion but as long as the pilot was not doing this to furtherance his work, and not planning on selling vid/pix, this would seem to be totally legal.

May be OCD, but I actually got and read the final ruling. All 636 pages!!

Hard to defend taking photos to document potential environmental violations as a recreational activity. Since he sends thes photos to the Corps of Engineers and FERC, he is, in effect aiding in the furtherance of their business!

Both of these are government agencies, not businesses, so no conflict there.

And since the photos were taken as part of an 'illegal' activity, any lawyer worth his title could get them thrown out of any legal actions!,
i

What would be "illegal"' as long as he follows all FAA and local laws, given that he is only sharing photos with non commercial agencies?

Certainly photography can fall under recreational activity.

Both of these are government agencies, not businesses, so no conflict there.

i

What would be "illegal"' as long as he follows all FAA and local laws, given that he is only sharing photos with non commercial agencies?

Certainly photography can fall under recreational activity.
Curious interpretation! Since when don't government agencies conduct business? IMO, the OP is a prime candidate for some facetime with the FAA. Since this is a persistent or repeated pattern of activity, may not just get off with a letter/warning.

Do you really think that's defensible as recreational? Maybe if it happened as an occasional byproduct of a hobby flight, but if the OP is systematically surveying for violations? I can't think of a good way to argue that.
Then submit it as anonymous if it helps the environment.

Reactions: sar104 and BigAl07
Absolutely this would be CIVIL (forget commercial as it only muddies the water) which is Part 107 all day long.

You are either flying 100% recreationally (meaning for the sake of flying for fun) or you are flying in a CIVIL manner. Civil CAN mean making money but it also encompasses Search & Rescue, Volunteer Work and so much more. (This excludes flying on a Public COA as that's a whole other topic).

If the OP were merely taking these pictures to put in his scrap book (some people here may not remember those LOL) it would be one thing. But he is taking them to "do something" with them. His INTENT of the flight is not recreational and the images he is taking are 100% not incidental to the flight. He is going out looking for the problems, intentionally flying to capture the problems, and then USING those images in one way or another.

While I fully commend his desire and efforts I think that anyone who would remotely defend this as hobby could be doing a fellow UAS operator a huge disservice. Keep in mind that your advice on the forum could be taken quite strictly by "some" so if you can't go back and provide proof of the latter you really should err on the side of caution to some degree. This has "Can Of Worms" written all over it.

Reactions: sar104

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94