Photos of Violations

Reaction score
I use my drone to take photos of violations that the liquefied natural gas pipeline contractors continue to do here in Florida when not in the public eye. Such as no silt fencing, no signage at entrances to work areas no safty fencing, the list go on and on. I use these photos as proof of violations and forward the photos and violation forms to the Army Corps of Engineers and FREC. My question is am I braking FAA rules by do so?

If you're not being paid and not supporting a business or occupation function, and do this voluntarily, I think you're OK.

Reactions: August
1495297050461.jpg

This is a photo of hydrocarbons that was discharged into Fort Drum Creek in Florida front the construction company.

That is an interesting use case. It's not really recreational under the FAA definition, and I guess that my concern would be retaliation on the part of the contractors in the form of reporting you for unlicensed activities. Once reported, the FAA has no choice but to investigate.

If you are obeying all FAA regulations... you are not breaking any FAA regulations. With what you posted, no.

Do you really think that's defensible as recreational? Maybe if it happened as an occasional byproduct of a hobby flight, but if the OP is systematically surveying for violations? I can't think of a good way to argue that.

Reactions: Rumba_Box
Do you really think that's defensible as recreational? Maybe if it happened as an occasional byproduct of a hobby flight, but if the OP is systematically surveying for violations? I can't think of a good way to argue that.

The FAA is not going after people making a few bucks off their drones. They certainly won't go after you if you are not an actual business.

The FAA is not going after people making a few bucks off their drones. They certainly won't go after you if you are not an actual business.

Maybe, but it has been stated by FAA personnel on numerous occasions that they don't have any discretion if violations are reported to them - they have to investigate. For most non-commercial use, no one is going to report you so it's likely moot, but in this case there may be a third party with ample motive to complain.

Maybe, but it has been stated by FAA personnel on numerous occasions that they don't have any discretion if violations are reported to them - they have to investigate. For most non-commercial use, no one is going to report you so it's likely moot, but in this case there may be a third party with ample motive to complain.

Oh, chances are good that you will be investigated, at least by the police. There is then the chance that they will refer the information to the FAA. The FAA _will_ then look at the information and move on.

Reactions: Ronald Reedy
The FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) regulates, monitors and investigates electricity, natural gas, natural gas pipelines, LNG terminals. I was told by John Picone in Washington DC that they do not have enough inspectors to continuously monitor the pipeline. I was given an attaboy for helping them out. I make no money at it and donate my time. I fly well within the FAA guidelines. We only have one Earth and only so much water.

Oh, chances are good that you will be investigated, at least by the police. There is then the chance that they will refer the information to the FAA. The FAA _will_ then look at the information and move on.

Well - maybe. I'm not sure that they can just move on though, and I'm not sure that I would be comfortable relying on that. Given how easy it is to get Part 107, if I were in the OP's position I would just do that and make it unambiguously compliant.

The FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) regulates, monitors and investigates electricity, natural gas, natural gas pipelines, LNG terminals. I was told by John Picone in Washington DC that they do not have enough inspectors to continuously monitor the pipeline. I was given an attaboy for helping them out. I make no money at it and donate my time. I fly well within the FAA guidelines. We only have one Earth and only so much water.

And I certainly applaud your work. I just wouldn't want to see you fall foul of the regulations, and I think it is very easy to argue that you don't meet the FAA definition of flying under the model aircraft special rule.

Reactions: Crack The Sky
Sorry, there is no way that this could be accepted as 'hobby flying'. And don't assume that the FAA would look the other way just because you might be doing a good thing. A violation is a violation, 2 wrongs don't make a right and one agency, the FAA, rarely concerns itself with another. And you are hardly flying 'within FAA guidelines' if you are violating Part 107.

I deal with the police on a continual basis. They usually tell me as long as I don't go on the pipeline easement they can't do anything to me. If I would go on the easement that felony trespassing.

I deal with the police on a continual basis. They usually tell me as long as I don't go on the pipeline easement they can't do anything to me. If I would go on the easement that felony trespassing.

Right - I doubt it's the police you need to worry about. It's the contractors complaining to the FAA - if they know how to do that.

In North Dakota the police just shot the drones out of the air with shotguns. But then they were also using tear gas and rubber riot rounds on the indigenous population and spraying them with water in sub zero weather.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl