Phisical damage on battery

If it were mine, I would have to discard it-- with that dent, cant be much aluminum thickness left in the dented area. When the battery heats when flying, it may become a fire issue a some point--

If you decide to keep it, put some JB Weld in that dimple flush it up with the surface and when it dries put a strip of aluminum tape over it. Always keep it in a fireproof location and keep an eye on it when you charge it... If the outside air gets to any leak, it it will catch fire.

Reactions: Australis5
that dimple in the battery is not a problem. Nor is the ops battery. Test the battery 5 foot off the ground and let it hover for 20 minutes until it is depleted. If it charges fine, it will be ok. I've seen these taken a part. The silver cover is not the battery cover. There are individual packs that have their own covers on the inside. If you have a hole, you will know it real fast.

image2a-jpg.11478

just charging the battery, if there is an issue will cause the lipo to smoke.

that dimple in the battery is not a problem. Nor is the ops battery. Test the battery 5 foot off the ground and let it hover for 20 minutes until it is depleted. If it charges fine, it will be ok. I've seen these taken a part. The silver cover is not the battery cover. There are individual packs that have their own covers on the inside. If you have a hole, you will know it real fast.

image2a-jpg.11478
If that dimple indented the cell covering and weakened that -- then it could be an issue-- meaning the metal cover at the particular location may be compromised -- I wouldn't make the blanket statement that if you hover it for 20 minutes and deplete the battery, and noting happens , then all is well. But everyone to their own opinion. It is not the idea of knowing a hole exists, it is the added chance that a hole could develop under heat stress that may cause the battery to swell. Cheers :)

They are pretty darn tough on the higher quality batteries. For me personally, I'd use it. After I tested it and charged it a few times. I'd monitor the cells in the app as it hovered. But everyone is different. I've had lipos fly out of Helis and they where ok. I've had one ballon from an impact, I did toss that one. But that was one of those cheap China lipos

Hey, I recently had a fly way that ended up hurting the battery. No smoke, no fire. These punctures were due the internal weld that might have touched the battery during the crash. This is the only sign of damage in the battery. I am confused about what should I do. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 12045250_957770214261031_5823104724272527923_o.jpg
    12045250_957770214261031_5823104724272527923_o.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 404
Hey, I recently had a fly way that ended up hurting the battery. No smoke, no fire. These punctures were due the internal weld that might have touched the battery during the crash. This is the only sign of damage in the battery. I am confused about what should I do. What do you guys think?
Put some foil tape over those holes if you are going to try to use it and watch it very closely, especially when you are trying to charge it. Watch for swelling. The lips catch fire when the lithium is exposed to oxygen. If you haven't used lipo batteries before and are not familiar with lipos catching on fire-- go to Youtube and search lipo battery fire. They are safe as long as they are handled properly and not damaged.

Reactions: PauloFilho
If it was me, I would not use it. It's look like there's a hole on the chasing of batt. It would be damage the cell. To store it just grab with alu foil then put on the garrage with no flameable material.

I concur that a damaged battery is a hazard and should not be used or left lying around to avoid possible fire hazard. However the circuit board inside the battery (the rectangular board that carries 4 LEDs and the push button) is useful as a spare. In fact I have blown out the circuit board for a Phantom 3 battery so now I can only used it as a starter battery because the phantom 3 wouldn't recognise it and refuse to start. I am willing to buy the spare circuit board so that I can fix my battery. I was an electrical engineer so I am comfortable to work on the battery. I do not recommend a layman to open up the battery to take out the circuit board because a careless short-circuit will cause a small explosion. So in case you are comfortable and has the expertise to open up the battery I would like to buy the circuit board as a spare.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18