Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Phantom3 professional hard landing RTH

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by scott19667231, Aug 26, 2016.

1. scott19667231

This can't be right comes down way to fast and hard. How do I correct this?
    Will it also do this if battery gets to low???
    My sons p3s comes down like a feather
    Please save the learn how to land comments I know how. but my kids fly this don't want it damaged from hard landings

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

2. flpholt

p3s lands different than other ones they come down a lot faster not as smooth my p3a comes down quick that is why I handcatch so it wont tip over

3. RedHotPoker

When it gets close to a landing, take back Control.
    You can press the RTH button to cancel it at anytime, as well.

RedHotPoker

ROD PAINTER likes this.
  4. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Just because it can land itself doesn't mean that you have to let it.
    Most pilots can find a landing spot and land better than the programming can.

ROD PAINTER likes this.
  5. Oso

Oso

This post is basically how I reply whenever the question is asked about why the P3S lands smoother than does the P3A or P3P.

Also, the P3P and P3A used to land very smoothly, but that changed around June or July last year. There's no way to correct it.

EDIT: Fixed bad link

#5 Oso, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    JoBe likes this.
  6. mikesmiley

Learn how to land. ;)

7. Unicyclejunkie

I have a p3s and a p3a, and I have rth'd many times as well, and I have never landed, not even once on the ground. I always hand catch. Hand catch is the best way to land, I even did it with my old p1.

flpholt and Falcon900 like this.
  8. mikesmiley

I've only had to hand catch a couple times, when I was out in the weeds and rocks. I keep seeing people say hand catching is the best way to land, and I keep not understanding why.

9. Flipsonic

Sorry but hand catch is not THE best way to land IMO. It is one way to land, but not THE best. I land on ground all the time and have never had any issues except for my very first time landing. I used CSC to cut off the motors and it almost tipped over. Since then, I only use left stick down each time for smooth landings. I've hand catched only a few times just to practice so I know how it is when I have to.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

10. Tenly

I agree. I've never hand-caught my drone. I imagine that I should learn how to do it in case I ever need to take off and land from a boat - but I don't understand what people find so difficult about landing normally. Does the manual even talk about hand catching as an option? If not - and it truly is the "best", doesn't that make them negligent? :)

Also - I saw that you posted "learn how to land" as a joke - but I was amazed to see how many posters before you posted something similar before that. The OP clearly stated that he didn't want to see those comments - and he explained why - because he sometimes lets the kids fly it and has probably given them a rule to always use the automatic landing. Did the other posters not read his entire message or just suffer from comprehension problems? Ugh. Starting to remember why I took a months break from this site.

So...why do some people think that hand catching is a superior way to land. And for all of the people I've seen promoting it as "the best" strategy. I haven't seen a single one of them offer any instructions on "how to" do it for the new pilots they are replying to - or post a link to a tutorial. Notching. Just a useless statement with questionable advice.

11. goom2003

[​IMG]

You can buy this landing tall from ebay for ground landing

12. flpholt

yes we have many times you must not be paying attention have widely put up vdeos on handcatchng

13. JockC

I agree. I have never let my P3 land itself (even to test it) despite flyng from some rough terrain. The P3 is very manoeuvrable and I've always been able to find a landing spot in amongst the rocks, grass or other obstacles. Even off concrete, I prefer to have complete control of the landing and the ability to quickly pull back on the left stick to shut it down immediately after touchdown. I also never use auto take off, preferring instead to take off and immediately take it up a few metres. One of my next shoots will be overseas off a jet boat up a tropical river which will likely require a hand catch (I'm doing it for the owner of the jet boat cruise who's agreed to periodically stop and let me hand catch - that's not concerning me at all). That will be the first time in almost a year of ownership that I'll have not done a manual landing.

#13 JockC, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  14. Flipsonic

Actually, Tenly is the only one paying attention here. Just because there are vids about it doesn't mean it's the best way. It's an option IMO.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

mikesmiley likes this.
  15. Oso

Oso

I don't think its possible to have a thread asking why the P3P and the P3A do not land as smoothly as the P3S without the thread becoming a long list of posts to "hand catch" or to "land manually." It always happens whenever someone asks that question. See the link (now corrected) in my earlier post.

JoBe likes this.