Phantom Pilot App for Android really that bad?

As someone with a Note 4 but prepared to upgrade to an inexpensive Android tablet when I find a buyer for my P2 system to upgrade to P3pro, reading this whole thread cover to cover, makes this normally impatient guy glad for my sideline status!

Here's hoping the new updates and GO will sort things and make an Android tablet choice (or even better, my existing Note 4), easy, so plunking down serious money for the new bird is my biggest concern!

Thanks to everyone who's helped educate me to this point. Baited breath...
I borrowed my son's Samsung Galaxy Tab. He doesn't use it, so I factory reset it, and only loaded the Pilot app... lagged horribly :( We're talking 8-12 second gaps. All my Apple friends say they have no lag whatsoever with the 5, 6(+), and iPad.

Android works just fine on my LG3 GPad, though it is just for the P3P and I uninstalled the Google Play app. My device is not even listed on the Android Device list ,but should be, works like a dream!

I have an LG pad and it runs perfectly fine until it overheats and shuts down, usually within 14 minutes or so depending on how hot it is outside. Temperatures here have been around 90.
Have you experienced overheating? I'm running the DJI 1.2.0 app.

I have an LG pad and it runs perfectly fine until it overheats and shuts down, usually within 14 minutes or so depending on how hot it is outside. Temperatures here have been around 90.

Using the Nexus 7 LTE, while I have experienced some "warmth" (after draining, or getting close to draining, the P3P's battery), it hasn't caused the tablet, itself, to shut down. Regarding the DJI Pilot app shutting down, in sure there's no connection, as the app isn't "shutting down", per second, but "crashing". Finally, in regards to the recently-acquired Asus ZenPad S 8.0, once I get a few flights in during this coming week, I'll include that information in my update.

I originally bought my P3P thinking my phone would be compatible but it wasn't. I used my friends iPhone 6 a couple of times which was really smooth. I flew about 15 times with no screen to practice, then I bought a used Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" just so I could at least have a reference for shots. The tab 4 really doesn't have much power behind it so I only use it for DJI Pilot. I haven't had any major problems with the app itself (it crashed once) and it seems to have everything the iOS version had. The live feed is a little skippy sometimes, but I'm sure if I had a better android tablet it would be cleaner. I will most likely eventually upgrade to an iPad mini, but for now the android is holding me down.

Use samsung galaxy note 3 is the best!

Use your own galaxy note 3 charger because it using USB 3.0

I'm really hoping that when DJI release GO for Android they update the supported device list too.

I've only used the android app and have yet to have any issues on my Nvidia Shield.

I also have a nvidia shield and i can say. It also has the problems.
Video cache Full error
Disconnected - no signal error
Crashing of the App with Google services
I hope that the new DJO GO 2.00 App wil correct this

Marnix

So is the android app really that bad? I have just been scrolling through the app reviews on Google play and it is full to the brim with 1 star reviews saying that it simply doesn't work and buyers remorse!

My only device is a Nexus 6 and I'm a bit worried about purchasing a P3 and having compatibility problems even though it's a high spec'd phone and don't like the idea of getting an iPad just for flying.

Is the android app really that bad?
I was having a few problems with the app, that I downloaded from google, I then downloaded the app from DJI.com and since then no problems.

Since the beginning I am using Nexus 5 and Nexus 10 , they are working just fine
v1.2.0 Pilot App V 1.1.9
Let the IOS Men try the latsest Version so MAYBE(?) we (Android) can take the Profit

No , Have not had overheating issues, have you uninstalled Google Play? It does help!

Just grabbed a new Asus tablet to try. My Tab S even with Google Play rolled back is pretty bad.

I've got the note 4 and simply turning my phone in airplane mode after the map loads works just fine. It was like 85 the other day and my phone temp never went above 95. I've never used or seen an apple product used with a p3 (I'm the only 1 I know who has 1) but I've seen a few negative comments about apple too. Downgrading my phone is too much work when I can just use airplane mode with no issues.

No , Have not had overheating issues, have you uninstalled Google Play? It does help!

Yes, Google play services is disabled or else it lags and becomes unusuable. I run the tablet on airplane mode and unload many things that might take up resources. I will wait to see how things run when the LONG awaited new android version is released.

So does anyone know when we might see GO on Android? Obviously it's coming but when can we expect it, is anyone on here testing the beta?

Good gravely....this is driving me nuts! So I have a glitchy iPad mini that overheats and locks after 10 minutes. I WAS looking at a Nexus 7 to use only for flight but after all this android business I don't know what to do!

In regards to the video feed, as shown on the ZenPad S 8.0, while it was choppy every once in a while, it was so minor, I barely noticed it. Again, this is only after a single test flight (as in, testing the tablet, not the Phantom), so at least a few flights will be needed, just to be certain. I will, as previously mentioned, update next week (probably towards the end of the week), once I've had the opportunity to make at least a few more flights using the ZenPad S 8.0.

I'm curious about this tablet as well.

The easiest way to test how much stuttering you have is to yaw continuously in one direction and see what happens on the tablet.

Also, keep in mind that there are 2 versions of this tablet. The one with the faster processor and 4GB of RAM is not yet released. That one will cost $300.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart