Phantom low noise props

Its funny, when I take out someone who's never seen the drone fly, they're like you can peep into someones window...then it takes off and they're like "nah its too loud to creep"..

Oh I feel bad,,me not a fan of these but hit a steel pole little while back (dong)I'm still waiting for some from ebay but in mean time they are on,ok when no wind but won't fly in widy conditions with them on,just to unstable for my liking,almost like they where designed for something else

The 9455s propellers are less noisy for sure, and they don't have the high-pitch noise that you get from the 9450.
Somebody measured the rotation speed (rpm) and with the 9455s the motors spinned a little slower.
I haven't noticed any unstability, but I have not tried them in strong wind.

Good experiment, especially using a sound level meter. Perhaps a more accurate way to measure would be outdoors at 10 feet AGL, under real flight conditions on a still day? Indoors, with the drones sitting on a table, you have lots of acoustics to deal with. It's outdoors that count when nearby people might take notice.

Reactions: Ansia
Good experiment, especially using a sound level meter. Perhaps a more accurate way to measure would be outdoors at 10 feet AGL, under real flight conditions on a still day? Indoors, with the drones sitting on a table, you have lots of acoustics to deal with. It's outdoors that count when nearby people might take notice.
My intent was to do the experiment in a controlled envirorment. A place where a bystandard or other external factors couldn't interfere with the results. I figured that if a blade made more noise than the other, even if it's inside a concrete structure, the decibel meter would pick up a difference in db level, even if it's under a box effect. If blade A is louder, when the sound rebounds the walls, it will still be louder.

Maybe I'll do the experiment outside this week, when I have some time, but I'm having so much fun flying my Tello, that I hardly take out my Phantoms outside of work.

Decibel Meters do not tell the whole story. they just measure total energy.
Total noise energy will not change much. Less than is relevant to this application. To compare apples to apples, the noise has to be the same pitch.

Kind of like measuring the speed of a car. a Lamborghini at 100mph is not the same as a Nissan Cube at 100 mph. yet you measure speed the same ;)

What does change is where the energy appears in the spectrum.. Frequency.

Car manufacturers have been doing this for years. move a human annoying 2kHz pitch down to a 500hz pitch which is less offensive.

These props do this well - they make more of a whispy sound and less buzzing and sharp whine sounds.

I've been flying these in dense urban environment for more than 900 missions and can say the difference is dramatic.

What would you have done differently to make this test and why?

The point of my testing was to prove that it’s not the propellers that change the pitch, but rather the AC itself. You could see that in most cases the P4P v2.0 has a higher db level than the P4P, although to the ear it was quieter.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94