Phantom for commercial purposes

Reaction score
When I first heard about drones it was to do with flying them commercially which interested me until I contacted the company that was advertising about the job which also said they would train you for, and found out that they wanted 6k up front. I of course didn’t take them up on it but I'm still interested in the idea of flying drones to make money.
Does anyone know if that's too far fetched an idea to consider?

As of now you need a exemption 333 from the FAA witch you will also need a PP license to do commercial work .
Do a search there are many threads talking about this .

So currently to get FAA approval to fly a drone for commercial purposes you need a pilot's license. It's a high bar for someone who isn't a registered pilot. I imagine you can't get a pilot's license unless you fly a real aircraft.

Am I correct in my reading of the 333 requirements?

You are correct.

So currently to get FAA approval to fly a drone for commercial purposes you need a pilot's license. It's a high bar for someone who isn't a registered pilot. I imagine you can't get a pilot's license unless you fly a real aircraft.

Am I correct in my reading of the 333 requirements?
You are correct. However a Sports Pilot license is sufficient. This requires significantly less actual pilot time, so less expensive. Depending on your aptitude, you might get a sports pilot license for 3-5K. Inquire at a local Flight School.

FAA is trying to get a kitten from Congress by asking for a pony. Long story short: the "flyboys" (people who think they are real pilots because they own/fly a Piper Cub or Cessna propeller) are pissed because they see UAV's as encroaching on their spare cash MORE IMPORTANTLY tax deductions (my Cessna is TOO a legitimate tax deduction, dammit!) and they're leaning on their buddies at the FAA to either stop it or make the requirements so draconian that only the "good 'ol boys club" qualifies.

No licenses are required to fly MANNED "Ultralights", so what makes everyone think they'll prevail with this BS that you have to have a pilots license to fly UNmanned radio controlled toys?

We'll see what laws Congress gives them. In the meantime, the FAA is taking notes from the EPA and the BATFE of pulling rules and regs out of their rear-ends "Because I told you so!" with no actual statutes to cite from.

I'm wondering how people who would enforce the 333 pilot rule feel about it since it's obviously so bass akwards. I'm actually going to meet with one of our clients who happens to work at the FAA on drone issues and pick his brain.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl