Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Phantom Drifting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by campingtomz, Jul 20, 2015.

1. campingtomz

now I know that sounds like the next cool drone sport, but I am having issues with my drone drifting to one side. i turned off compass mode. this was suggested in another post, but it still drifts. i ended up replacing the motors because one of the shafts was bent. i thought this was the issue but apparently not.

im wondering if anyone has any idea?
    more info its a phantom fc40, the compass doesnt work right, but thats another issue all on its own.

2. Fplvert

Drifting is usually an indication that the compass needs calibration, so I think that the compass is the problem.

3. IflyinWY

About all I know to do is buy a new compass, $20 give or take, comes attached to a new landing gear in some cases. :)

OR

Do a good Compass Calibration and make a note of the numbers you will find in the NAZA assistant.
    They should be MOD =1400 +/- 200, and the XYZ numbers should be ZERO +/- 300.
    Take a look at this video, I'm not suggesting you do it, but if you believe your compass is shot, it can't hurt anything.

Go here and click "Fix the compass"; there are some other helpful pages as well. www.wynotweb.com

AND

Once you've eliminated any possible compass issue, I suggest doing an Advanced IMU Calibration. The tricks with this calibration is to make sure the bird is perfectly level, cool, and allowed to remain perfectly stationary throughout the calibration.

I think crashing them upsets the inner workings of the NAZA module. Mine still flies well, but not like it did when it was new. I crashed it a lot when it was new... :rolleyes:

Ti22 likes this.
  4. campingtomz

my compass is x: 65, y: 446, z: 765, mod: 418
    i do the manual calibration the turning of the phantom and that seems to work. but as soon as i turn it off and then power it back on, it flashes yellow red

5. Marlin009

Those are not good numbers. I don't think the compass "is another issue all on its own".

It seems to me bending a motor shaft would take a pretty good hit. An IMU cal is definitely in order.

6. campingtomz

well the motor was replaced, and i did the IMU cal a few times, it seems like it just doesnt want to work.
    i tried the magnet fix from the video, but it each time it just returns to around those numbers

7. Marlin009

What do you mean it doesn't work? Do you get an error? It won't effect the compass values.

8. campingtomz

the magnet fix from the video will change the values while the magnet is around the compass, but as soon as i move the magnet away the go back to the values from the previous post. the IMU cal completes with no errors, but it doesnt fix the compass values, also when i power cycle the phantom it will continue to flash yellow and red.

ive done the manual cal where you physiclly move the phantom around its axis, this will produce a green steady light, but when i power cycle it will go back to blinking red and yellow

9. Marlin009

I don't know the FC40 lights. Should be in the manual or online.
    Sounds like your compass might be toast.