Phantom 5 ???

Reaction score
With all the attention put into the Mavic line and no information or leaks coming on a P5 I'm starting to wonder if we will ever see one.

Note they are calling the M2P the FLAGSHIP CONSUMER DRONE so if Mavic is now the flagship where does that leave Phantom?

With all the attention put into the Mavic line and no information or leaks coming on a P5 I'm starting to wonder if we will ever see one.
Same here. At this point in time I would suggest that portability is now a primary factor and the Phantom line will go by the wayside if only for that reason. I would highly doubt there will ever be a Phantom 5. Just IMHO.

I’m hurt
Don't be. It's progressing with the technology. Stray behind, and loose out. Just like everything else. But I really don't need a refrigerator that tells me when I'm out of milk. That's a bit excessive. I can look myself.

Reactions: Jim Canada
My question exactly I still think phantom 4 pro is top of the line. Please take care of us phantom people too.
Well it isn’t top of the line anymore. The new mavic offers much more. My only concern with Mavic from day one has been hell the small form factor would perform in a higher wind. Right now I can fly my phantom in some pretty bad conditions and get usable footage

Reactions: Daasmangi
Well it isn’t top of the line anymore. The new mavic offers much more. My only concern with Mavic from day one has been hell the small form factor would perform in a higher wind. Right now I can fly my phantom in some pretty bad conditions and get usable footage

The new Mavic is nice, but I don't think it offers so much more hard skills compared to the P4P. They're more or less on par. Mavic pro 2 got a huge amount of software upgrades, lots of stuff you did manually before got preprogrammed and marketed under shiny names.

Regarding those "hard skills": no mechanical shutter and no 4k60p.

Last edited:

Note they are calling the M2P the FLAGSHIP CONSUMER DRONE so if Mavic is now the flagship where does that leave Phantom?

Keep in mind that the Phantom 4 pro offers 60 frames per second where as the M2P does not offer that. 60 frames allows for some amazing slow motion video and stills and gives you the best chance to capture the perfect lightning strike for example.

Granted the M2P offers a lot but 60 frames is still something than many will have a hard time giving up.
Anyway its something to think about.

strorm 4.png

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Keep in mind that the Phantom 4 pro offers 60 frames per second where as the M2P does not offer that. 60 frames allows for some amazing slow motion video and stills and gives you the best chance to capture the perfect lightning strike for example.

Granted the M2P offers a lot but 60 frames is still something than many will have a hard time giving up.

View attachment 102692

The P4P's ability to use 4K60 is, well, not very good and very few people with a discerning eye will favor it over 4K30 given the problems with 4K60. It is likely that most of the problem is down to the CPU for processing the video and as tech improves so to does the ability, within an energy budget, to do video processing. So, although the P4P is listed as 4K60 capable it is in name only. With a new update after 2 more years of tech development, we should see a new Phantom with true 4K60 capabilities particularly when paired with a higher bit-rate like 150Mbps. The fact that the new Mavic is limited to 100Mbps tells me that 4K60 was never going to be viable -- you need more bandwidth to handle more bandwidth with comparable quality, Math is a b1tch.

Brian

View attachment 102692
And let us guess- if you can do 120 FPS you would need to fly with two phantom wetsuits fitted to get even more lightning- classic!

My take is the P5 will not be introduced. Folding designs such as the Mavic Air and the Mavic Pro 2 have proven to be much more favorable by the consumer. If you want more camera capability, I believe your choice is the Inspire. Maybe, just maybe, a folding P5 will come along. BUT ... how would it be differentiated from the Mavic Pro 2?

When the P5 comes out, it will be on top again! One with zoom or a detachable lens incorporating the m2p and zoom in one. The price will definitely be over $1499.

As a fixed wing pilot and flight instructor as well as being 107 certified, I am waiting for the 5 to have retractable landing gear. Love the idea! 360 degree camera rotation without the gear in the way would be a big factor along with the better camera makes me feel like hanging onto my Mavic Pro for travel and upgrading to the 5 for local quality images and footage. Hope it has these features.

It is likely the Phantom line is retired with the P4P. There are specialized purpose built iterations of the P4Ps out there. And pictures of them are being used in the rumor mill for the p5. But the Phantom line as we love or hate it has most likely come to the end.

There will probably be specialized versions of it like the P4 RTK and maybe some others. But the consumer beast that propelled DJI is over, in my opinion (and others closer to the decision makers within DJI ;))

Same here. At this point in time I would suggest that portability is now a primary factor and the Phantom line will go by the wayside if only for that reason. I would highly doubt there will ever be a Phantom 5. Just IMHO.
I doubt it as well.

Reactions: Hounddog
What a bunch of whiners DJI simply refreshed the Mavic first it all started with the Phantom and if you think DJI is going to walk away from its cash cow your a bit delusional

Reactions: jryser
As a fixed wing pilot and flight instructor as well as being 107 certified, I am waiting for the 5 to have retractable landing gear. Love the idea! 360 degree camera rotation without the gear in the way would be a big factor along with the better camera makes me feel like hanging onto my Mavic Pro for travel and upgrading to the 5 for local quality images and footage. Hope it has these features.
For the rotating camera to be an advantage you would need a seperate FPV camera for the person flying. I’m assuming your preference is to have a second operator to control the camera?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumperswaves