Phantom 4A/P camera vs. Mavic 2 Pro camera...

The electronic shutter on the Mavic 2 Pro is LIKELY a rolling shutter, meaning light hits the shutter at different times, not simultaneously (as in a global shutter). While I'm sure it's difficult to see a difference between the two shutter types in the final product, be it video or photograph, I'll stick with my old-school mechanical shutter on the Phantom.

I asked DJI which electronic shutter type the M2P had. This was their response:

"Regretfully, we currently don't have the information on what type of electronic shutter is on the Mavic Pro 2. We are coordinating with our engineering team to get the information for you.

We will send you and update as soon as we receive the response from the engineering team."

The electronic shutter on the Mavic 2 Pro is LIKELY a rolling shutter, meaning light hits the shutter at different times, not simultaneously (as in a global shutter). While I'm sure it's difficult to see a difference between the two shutter types in the final product, be it video or photograph, I'll stick with my old-school mechanical shutter on the Phantom.

I asked DJI which electronic shutter type the M2P had. This was their response:

"Regretfully, we currently don't have the information on what type of electronic shutter is on the Mavic Pro 2. We are coordinating with our engineering team to get the information for you.

We will send you and update as soon as we receive the response from the engineering team."
You do know the mechanical shutter on the P4P is only used for photos and not while filming right?

You do know the mechanical shutter on the P4P is only used for photos and not while filming right?

Ahh... I didn't know that! Thanks for educating me. I use the Phantom primarily for still photography, so a mechanical shutter is important to me.

Ahh... I didn't know that! Thanks for educating me. I use the Phantom primarily for still photography, so a mechanical shutter is important to me.
I think it is badly marketed of DJI to make such a fuss over the mechanical shutter when it is not used in video. Although it’s good in lower light photography. I dont think the impact of rolling shutter is so big in photography when you have short shutter speeds (>1000) but I might be wrong here. Does someone know this?

Edit: this is incorrect.

Last edited:
From what I know about camera and codecs tech, you can achieve 422 10bit with P4P by downsampling 4K to 1080p (and choosing a 10bit codec while transcoding). It has to do with neighbouring pixels, if from what I’ve read is correct.
That's not exactly correct but I've read pages and pages of very technical discussion about it and we probably don't want to get into those weeds in this thread. Let's just say that if you want to do heavy color correction or you have banding issues with your 4K P4P video footage, you can't just downsample to HD and then magically have 10 bit color space to work with. It sounds like the new Mavic does, however, and that makes me excited about an upcoming Phantom 5.

The other question I have is whether or not there is a similar software issue that renders the 20mp image down like the P4P. If anyone remembers the “14mp not 20mp” debate. Im still waiting on my ACTUAL 20mp photos.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure the camera records 4:0:0 8 bit video. I've done pretty extensive searches online with no confirmation so please share your source. The new Mavic Pro 2 advertises 10 bit HDR video as a big selling point and I'm sure the P4P would have mentioned 10 bit as well. Thanks
My source is Somy corporation- I am talking about the capability (specifications) of the sensor only- I made no specific claim about the actual implementation.

Everyone is still trying to get information on the Mavic 2 Pro specs, including me. I am particularly interested in the mechanical ability of the lens to tilt up 30 degrees, like with the P4P. I use that feature a lot for landscape panoramas that take in towering thunder storms and summer cloud formations here in Florida. I heard somewhere that the M2P does not have that feature. Does anybody know for sure?

Can’t answer that question but I think I read it cannot do the 90 degree vertical shot.

Everyone is still trying to get information on the Mavic 2 Pro specs, including me. I am particularly interested in the mechanical ability of the lens to tilt up 30 degrees, like with the P4P. I use that feature a lot for landscape panoramas that take in towering thunder storms and summer cloud formations here in Florida. I heard somewhere that the M2P does not have that feature. Does anybody know for sure?
Watch this video review for the answer to that.
I've cued it to the point where this is discussed but it's worth watching the whole video for a good review and demonstration.

It's also in the manual which states: The gimbal has a tilt range of -90 ̊ to +30 ̊

Watch this video review for the answer to that.
I've cued it to the point where this is discussed but it's worth watching the whole video for a good review and demonstration.
Just watched it Meta- what a beast!!! I might need to talk to you about where to buy without getting reamed- the usual suspects for those on our side of the planet don’t have stock yet......

Last edited:
The mechanical shutter on the p4p/a is still a solid advantage for any kind of photogrammetry data collection. For video, any improvement in color science is going to be limited by the 100mbps bitrate. Bump the bitrate to 200 mbps and now you're talking a chance for a fair amount of improvement. Along with that jump I suspect you will also see some sort of ssd memory storage solution.

If you don't own a p4p/a and mapping isn't on your list then the m2 looks like a great quad, absolutely. Worth changing out a complete p4p/a kit, not so much. Unless $$ is of no concern of course. But then why even debate. Order that puppy!

According to that video it looks like it can do the straight down vertical shot.

This is from the FAQ...maybe I am confused? Why can't the Mavic 2's gimbal shoot vertically as the Mavic Pro does?

The Mavic 2's gimbal structure is optimized for increased stiffness, meaning that the camera is unable to rotate the full 90° needed to shoot vertically. However, you can choose the Vertical Mode in Panorama to get a stitched vertical photo

This is from the FAQ...maybe I am confused? Why can't the Mavic 2's gimbal shoot vertically as the Mavic Pro does?

The Mavic 2's gimbal structure is optimized for increased stiffness, meaning that the camera is unable to rotate the full 90° needed to shoot vertically. However, you can choose the Vertical Mode in Panorama to get a stitched vertical photo
Your talking portrait mode- got it... All my phantoms do straight down shots, even the broken gimble one that can only do that.....

Reactions: WWK888
My source is Somy corporation- I am talking about the capability (specifications) of the sensor only- I made no specific claim about the actual implementation.

The sensor is an important bit for sure, but the image processor is every bit as important. Looking at the capabilities of the sensor alone gets you nowhere. I may have the most powerful sports car in the world based on components selection but if the air is drawn into the engine through a straw it isn't going to be very capable. The image processor is the straw.

The P4P was a huge improvement over previous Phantoms and surpassed the Inspire 1 and 1 Pro in image quality and most of that was down to the image processor that could handle 100Mbps versus 60Mbps. However, as good as it was it was far from perfect as anyone that attempted 4K60 video can attest. I have a repeating issue with image tearing that appear in almost every video and sometimes as many a a half dozen times in a single flight. I believe that is mostly down to the limits of the image processor which, although superior to the one in the Inspire 1 Pro, was still marginal at 4K30 let alone 4K60.

If there is another Phantom, and I expect there will be, then I expect it to do 4K60 reliably and to output at 150Mbps -- if this is true and the other flight sensors are improved then I may upgrade to it when it comes out. The Inspire line is not in my reach anymore and since my drone use is nearly 100% about getting the best video and images possible, then 4K30 and 100Mbps, where I'm at now, isn't going to get me to snap up the Mavic Pro 2. If DJI wants more of my money they had better offer a new Phantom and with true 4K60 and at least 150Mbps.

Brian

Reactions: Falcon900
The sensor is an important bit for sure, but the image processor is every bit as important. Looking at the capabilities of the sensor alone gets you nowhere. I may have the most powerful sports car in the world based on components selection but if the air is drawn into the engine through a straw it isn't going to be very capable. The image processor is the straw.

The P4P was a huge improvement over previous Phantoms and surpassed the Inspire 1 and 1 Pro in image quality and most of that was down to the image processor that could handle 100Mbps versus 60Mbps. However, as good as it was it was far from perfect as anyone that attempted 4K60 video can attest. I have a repeating issue with image tearing that appear in almost every video and sometimes as many a a half dozen times in a single flight. I believe that is mostly down to the limits of the image processor which, although superior to the one in the Inspire 1 Pro, was still marginal at 4K30 let alone 4K60.

If there is another Phantom, and I expect there will be, then I expect it to do 4K60 reliably and to output at 150Mbps -- if this is true and the other flight sensors are improved then I may upgrade to it when it comes out. The Inspire line is not in my reach anymore and since my drone use is nearly 100% about getting the best video and images possible, then 4K30 and 100Mbps, where I'm at now, isn't going to get me to snap up the Mavic Pro 2. If DJI wants more of my money they had better offer a new Phantom and with true 4K60 and at least 150Mbps.

Brian
Im not sure what your point is or perhaps your speaking generally and not specifically for my benefit. Im was talking about the sensor specifically. Obviously the SOC and firmware implemented features are equally if not arguably more important. Just look at the firmware hacks for some popular DSLR and how simply features from top of the line bodies were magically enabled in those lower down the range.

I would like 150Mb also, even without any need for 60fps in 4K. H265 is a nice sweeter as is 10bit capability.

It's really hard to say you need a better image than the p4p gives, at least for me. My video from it does not disappoint. For me the mp2 would simply be a purchase for a portable travel drone without sacrificing what I've come to expect from my p4p. That's the only reason I haven't gotten the smaller dji drones, the camera quality was just not up to speed. Now, that's been taken care of with the mp2. I would not get the zoom version because I cannot go back to a non adjustable aperture, nor would I ever go back to a smaller sensor. I don't need a zoom on my drone camera either. No way I'd ditch my p4p for the mp2- it would be an addition. And let's not forget this is dji, so there's always a waiting period to see how their new wonderful drone really shakes out. There's always that inevitable early firmware update that begins to throw the monkey wrench into an otherwise perfect machine too. The mp2 looks like a winner...at the moment.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart