Phantom 4 Pro not following stick instructions, took off on its own

Reaction score
A couple of days ago I was doing photos for a realtor of a home near me. When I would move the right stick to fly backwards, instead the P4 Pro flew forwards about 10 feet and then stopped. It did this several times. Then, at about 40% battery life (estimate) the drone just took off at a high clip flying forwards. I was at about 150 feet. I hit the RTH button and it seemed to just hover. I was then able to fly the drone normally again. I bought three batteries that were not DJI originals. I returned one when it stopped charging and got a full refund. One has a fairly big crack, and the other one has a smaller crack. I am thinking the issue is the battery. I have one DJI original battery and when I flew the drone with it there were no issues. Is this likely to be a battery issue? Thanks

Is this likely to be a battery issue?
From your description, No. You might try an RC calibration if you haven't tried that already.

Reactions: Dee4president
From your description, No. You might try an RC calibration if you haven't tried that already.
I tried the RC calibration. Both sticks will max out to 100% in all directions.....except when I push forward on the right stick it will only go to 64%. As the instructions say, I moved the sticks repeatedly in all directions, but the right stick always goes exactly to 64%, never higher. Any ideas? Thanks

This sounds like you have an RC issue of some sort. I don't know of a way to fix that off the top of my head.
I tried it again, and this time the right stick would go to 100% for several times, but then it reverted to 63% again. I tried it one more time and it stayed at 100%. After watching a youtube video, I found out it is also necessary to do the scroll wheel for the gimbal. I will go fly in an open field and see how it goes. Thanks for your comments.

I tried it again, and this time the right stick would go to 100% for several times, but then it reverted to 63% again. I tried it one more time and it stayed at 100%. After watching a youtube video, I found out it is also necessary to do the scroll wheel for the gimbal. I will go fly in an open field and see how it goes. Thanks for your comments.
From what you have outlined, it does not seem to be an issue with the third-party batteries. However personally I would never use anything other than genuine DJI batteries. My drones are just too important and expensive to risk them, for saving a few dollars on batteries.

From your calibration procedures, it seems like that right stick is starting to fail. The potentiometer for vertical movement on that stick may have intermittent issues. If that is the case, the stick can be replaced by opening up the remote. The stick itself is a fairly inexpensive part so if you can do it yourself or give it to a competent repair person, it should not be expensive to fix.

I would do it sooner rather than later because of the potential for disaster if you don't. Not only could it just not give you the proper full forward signal, but it could errantly send signals to the drone that you don't intend. One example would be giving false stick forward or back signal during RTH even with your fingers off the sticks. This would cancel RTH and have the drone do something you don't want it to. If this does happen, you need to think quickly and take the proper action. In this specific case, it might be powering off the controller so that the drone executes an emergency RTH.

From what you have outlined, it does not seem to be an issue with the third-party batteries. However personally I would never use anything other than genuine DJI batteries. My drones are just too important and expensive to risk them, for saving a few dollars on batteries.

From your calibration procedures, it seems like that right stick is starting to fail. The potentiometer for vertical movement on that stick may have intermittent issues. If that is the case, the stick can be replaced by opening up the remote. The stick itself is a fairly inexpensive part so if you can do it yourself or give it to a competent repair person, it should not be expensive to fix.

I would do it sooner rather than later because of the potential for disaster if you don't. Not only could it just not give you the proper full forward signal, but it could errantly send signals to the drone that you don't intend. One example would be giving false stick forward or back signal during RTH even with your fingers off the sticks. This would cancel RTH and have the drone do something you don't want it to. If this does happen, you need to think quickly and take the proper action. In this specific case, it might be powering off the controller so that the drone executes an emergency RTH.
Thanks so much for the info. I will not be flying it again until I either get the RC fixed or buy a new one.
Dave

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniac