Phantom 4 pro Mbs Question

rmb

Reaction score
I was looking at the Video format/compression specs for the Phantom 4 Pro and I could use a little guidance here.

This is what they say regarding 2.7K - H.264
2.7K:2720×1530 24/25/30p @80Mbps
2.7K:2720×1530 48/50/60p @100Mbps

My question is why at the same aspect ratio would the data rate/compression (80Mbs vs 100Mbs) be better at twice the fps" i.e. 24p is only captured at 80Mbs, but if I want to capture double the frames (48p) I can do it at 100Mbs?

I'm sure I am missing something here. Tough to get old;)

rb

PS. it is the same in their description for H.265

Thanks

This is confusing to me too mb. But the Mbs is the rate at which the footage is recorded in. The fps doesn't really affect the quality of your footage so to speak. It just gives you more frames per second so that you can speed up or slow down your footage and make it look super smooth. I hope this is close to the right answer for you. I guess you could kind of look at the Mbs like recording faster or slower on audio tape. The faster you can move tape across a head the better quality recording you get. Kind of the same here I think. And someone correct me or help me explain if I'm off base here. And messing with h.265 is a whole another ball game. Most are saying stay away from it as it is troublesome to convert and make work without a lot of effort in post.

It all has to do with the amount of data to be compressed. That relates directly to the frame rate (given the same resolution). The resulting quality relates to the degree of compression required. Higher amounts of data result in higher degree of compression. Higher degree of compression equates to lower quality. In addition, the compression method affects quality as well. H264 should generate a lower quality result when compared to H265 at the same resolution, frame rate and bitrate.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: KevMo Photog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan