phantom 4 pro filters

Be careful it's next to impossible to remove the screw on filter from DJI on the P4 PRO

Jack

After flying quad-copters for a while, I'm delving into aerial photography with a purchase the P4P next week. The literature I've read says that the new camera on the P4P with the adjustable shutter make the use of filters obsolete. How true is that?

After flying quad-copters for a while, I'm delving into aerial photography with a purchase the P4P next week. The literature I've read says that the new camera on the P4P with the adjustable shutter make the use of filters obsolete. How true is that?
Not really true if you want to get more buttery smooth footage by using bigger apertures with slower shutter speeds. Shutter speed should be very close to double your frame rate you are shooting at.

Reactions: KeiferBass
Anyone know filters that fit form possibly another device go pro or something...

I ordered the polar pros already and dji website says several weeks... however i need something to hold me over.
I'm waiting on my Cinema Collection from Polar Pro right now too. So crappy outside I'm in no big hurrty tbo!

Polar Pro guys support said they will start shipping the new P4Pro filters end of next week. I emailed them and they promptly replied with the news. If you sign up for their newsletter they will email you a 10% off coupon you can use to pre order the new filters also.

Reactions: KeiferBass
I ordered the Polar Pro Cinema pack from their website directly.

Being my first drone, could someone explain the following. What benefit are there in having the filters on an adjustable aperture lens?

Say I'm on 4K 30FPS, ISO 100, f2.2, 1/60. If it's too bright, can't I just put a filter on to make the aperture smaller, say f4?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I ordered the Polar Pro Cinema pack from their website directly.

Being my first drone, could someone explain the following. What benefit are there in having the filters on an adjustable aperture lens?

Say I'm on 4K 30FPS, ISO 100, f2.2, 1/60. If it's too bright, can't I just put a filter on to make the aperture smaller, say f4?

First, you couldn't be on F 2.2. It would be 2.8 as that is the widest this lens opens up. But yes just use the ND that gets you to double your shutter speed of your frame rate. Sweet spot aperture on these lenses is F4 to 5.6 1/2.

Also from the email the PolarPro guys sent me:
"The P4P ND's (-Shutter Collection) are compatible with the stock gimbal lock.
The P4P ND/PL's (-Vivid Collection) are slightly larger and will require you to remove them if you use the stock gimbal lock.
They do include a case, and they ship starting at the end of December."
Right now they don't have a gimbal lock available that will fit with the thicker ND/CPL filters-Vivid Collection.
Hopefully coming soon....

Reactions: Kevinusma
First, you couldn't be on F 2.2. It would be 2.8 as that is the widest this lens opens up.

I had a guess at the aperture because I don't have the Phantom with me.

The question still remains. If I'm overexposed at 2.8 what is the difference between using a filter and just increasing the aperture on the camera instead.

I had a guess at the aperture because I don't have the Phantom with me.

The question still remains. If I'm overexposed at 2.8 what is the difference between using a filter and just increasing the aperture on the camera instead.

If your overexposed at F2.8 then you can change exposure by 3 things. ND filter, speeding up your shutter or closing down your aperture. You want your aperture in the neighborhood of F2.8- F5.6 1/2. You don't want to shoot way closed down at say F11. The lens is better at F4or so as mentioned. You also don't want to increase your shutter much faster than double your frame rate for your video. That will tend to cause your video to be a little jittery like a scary movie instead of super smooth looking. I'm just talking best scenarios here btw. You can close your lens down to say F11 and not use any ND filters if you want to and get good results I'm sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Davidnclearlaketx
I'm waiting for PolarPro to offer screw-in gradient filters for the P4P. Will be curious to see if they add anything to the overall length of the camera, which could be a problem with clearance as the gimbal goes through its start-up routine. Of course, once PolarPro offers the landing gear stabilizers for the P4P then the camera length issue may not be an issue at all.

I'm waiting for PolarPro to offer screw-in gradient filters for the P4P. Will be curious to see if they add anything to the overall length of the camera, which could be a problem with clearance as the gimbal goes through its start-up routine. Of course, once PolarPro offers the landing gear stabilizers for the P4P then the camera length issue may not be an issue at all.

These might work.
https://www.amazon.com/PolarPro-Pha...rd_wg=JyHto&psc=1&refRID=SDTFYYR4E43TDH5MSG1V

• Designed specifically for the DJI Phantom 4
  • Widens stance making the P4 more stable
  • Raises camera 0.75-inches keeping it away from dust, dirt & debris
  • Securely snaps onto the P4 legs for easy installation/removal
  • Lifetime warranty with US based customer support
**Looks like the same thing I found on eBay only cheaper..
Hot 2xNEW Landing Gear Camera Gimbal Bumper Protector Guard For DJI Phantom4 US

Last edited:
Reactions: azgeek

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka