Phantom 4 Pro crashed - don't understand why

Wow
That error is a problem. Some are losing control with that error. I had it pop up a block away with 19 sats and I had to bring the bird home in Atti by eye as it had my location on the map a mile away. There have been others.
Wow..so Which were you using?

That error is a problem. Some are losing control with that error. I had it pop up a block away with 19 sats and I had to bring the bird home in Atti by eye as it had my location on the map a mile away. There have been others.
I would send it to DJI for repair. It's not normal to get GPS nomatch errors and switch to ATTI with 19 sats. By any chance was it very windy or were you flying at higher speeds/high angles? The only other thing that could cause this would be if the compass is off and the drone can't make sense of the compass data, you'll be put into ATTI and it will act like it's a GPS problem when it's actually a compass problem.

If you can get the DAT from that flight I could take a look.

Newbie always flying in Beginner Mode.
In my brief 20-flight experience, I believe
the first thing to do when panic sets in due
to drifting, or whatever, is to immediately,
without thinking it out, go up some -- obvious
exception is if P4P+ is under something...?

Yeah ribjig, I also have about 20 flights and that's what I wanted to do. Leave the spot. But since I was in Atti mode without notification, I flew even further into the situation. In my opinion a product / firmware that fires 36 error messages in a few seconds is not an intact device.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using PhantomPilots mobile app

In my opinion a product / firmware that fires 36 error messages in a few seconds is not an intact device.
The GPS position mismatch messages are something new that hadnt been seen before the P4 pro.
Investigation of flight logs where it appears show that it comes up i groups of 5 for half a second but it seems to be a false alarm like the strong wind warnings..
GPS positions before, during and after the message appear to all be correct.

The GPS position mismatch messages are something new that hadnt been seen before the P4 pro.
Investigation of flight logs where it appears show that it comes up i groups of 5 for half a second but it seems to be a false alarm like the strong wind warnings..
GPS positions before, during and after the message appear to all be correct.
I had an odd thought about this during another post.

Do think DJI might have started comparing barometer and GPS altitude and are just recording any mismatch at this point. I'm probably way off base and did sample a nice bourbon tonight :)

I had an odd thought about this during another post.
Do think DJI might have started comparing barometer and GPS altitude and are just recording any mismatch at this point. I'm probably way off base and did sample a nice bourbon tonight :)
If they did, you'd see an error message more often than not.
GPS is really bad for altitude and swings a lot - that's why they don't use GPS for altitude in the Phantom.

If they did, you'd see an error message more often than not.
GPS is really bad for altitude and swings a lot - that's why they don't use GPS for altitude in the Phantom.
Yeah I know GPS is not reliable for height, it was a wild idea. I'll blame the Bourbon :)

Hi Guys, i recently bought a phantom 4 and it crashed on the 4th flight off a Catamaran. All signals was healthy and accurate without any warning whatsoever. Full GPS and sensors front and back and below activate (Not Sides as that is only in tripod mode). As i took off machine went crazy and flew back then forward and then into the Mast of the Catamaran. My query with Dji was, obviously something caused interference and Dji believes it could be the GPS Rader on the Cat. Now i have a Gimbal that shakes badly from time to time (Cant do a single flight on a battery with a few severe shakes, other times is fewer shakes but still unusable video) Tried everything. Opened up and all seems ok inside but clearly there is damage, problem is there are no spares to repair so now i have a expensive paper weight. Any professionals out there know what part on the camera might case this shake. yaw Arm is perfect Took apart and placed back together. Ribbon checked all good. Even Checked inside drone. All good. Any Advice. Dji Wont Assist with replacement of unit even though my argument is that I'm a experienced operator and as a Hobby Store Owner i know how to use the machine but have no parts to test on and i feel the machine should never have crashed as it did as forward facing sensors should of avoided the Mast and Sail. Please assist guys.

The number of satellites is not an indicator for GPS lock. If the signals are bounced (meaning the signal path is not direct or straight), it actually destort the calculation. That is the reason why you can't flying indoor with GPS.

When op quad flying inside the cave, it is no difference flying indoor, the GPS signals are distorted. The fly mode switching warning indicated the lost of GPS signal. Too bad op ignored the warning and caused a list of his quad. To me, that is an user error or failure of DJI user education.

BTW, the fly mode change warning is shown in the go app by flashing color change of the bar. If you don't play attention, you may miss it.

I'm pretty new to drone flying but is the op in this case confusing home lock with course lock? It sounds to me like what he wanted to do should have been with course lock.

Last edited:
S
Hi, I'm new in the forum and would be very grateful for some analysis of what happened to me yesterday.

I was flying my two weeks old Phantom 4 Pro in New Zealand and it crashed into the ocean :( I'm trying to understand why.

I was flying towards a rock which was not too far from the beach. I used the home lock mode to be able to turn the camera freely while keeping one direction. When coming closer to the rock the drone startet drifting to the right (from my point of view), the camera being faced towards me. I countered the drift by moving the right stick to the left and to my surprise I see that the drone is flying more to the right. I was under the impression that around the rock there must be strong winds that the app doesn't show yet and pulled the right stick back, to fly back towards the home point, but instead it is crashing into the rock a few seconds later. More exactly it flies into a cave that I wanted to film into (not fly into). No obstacle avoidance happening.

I was devastated. A guy with a surfboard was so nice to check the area a few minutes after but couldn't find the drone anymore, probably the current took it.

Now I checked the log file and it seems that the P4P all of a sudden switched into ATTI mode, meaning basically when I pulled the stick back it was flying backwards regarding the direction it was facing, so further away from me. I really don't understand why ATTI GOT activated. The rock was not overhanging and not even vertical, so there was clear sky above it. Also the obstacle avoidance did not fire before the first counter move I described above, so I wasn't very close yet to the wall either. I was also not at the spot where the cave is.

When ATTI mode was switched on I still had 9 satellites. As far as I know 4 are enough to get a location.

Could this be a bug? I definitely didn't touch the mode switch. I am still a bit in shock, was really looking forward to use this for a long time :/

I would be very thankful for any help to understand what happened.

Here is the log file:
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Thanks already!!
Alex

PS: I'm not a English native speaker, if something is unclear please ask me and I try to explain it better.

Seems like pilot error to me

I'm glad to see multipath errors have been mentioned, something very likely close to the sea and next to a big rock. Remember also the actual geometry of where the satellites are in the sky might affect the accuracy of the fix. Just because it can see 9 satellites it might not mean they are giving the best data.On top of this remember you are relying on a 25w signal coming from 20,000km being received by a 2cm square ceramic patch antenna. Just saying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart