Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

1. fcat

Has anyone dismantled a battery and looked inside ?

I noticed this afternoon you can see right through them from side to side and there's nothing at all in what looks like at least 50% of the battery, all the battery cells look to be at the back where the connector is. I presume this is for heat and air flow reasons ? Surely they can add 50% more flight time to the battery by adding more cells and put a small fan in there ? just a thought.

2. Start Visit

no, battery cells is spread in parallel to these holes, very good design for cooling.

daytona125 likes this.
  3. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

They already have the fan inside the P4 and the slots in the battery are for cooling air from the fan.

4. 30secs

Didn't help my last flight when the battery was over 140° ...

RogerO likes this.
  5. brettinteriors

They need room to swell too. My soft lipo packs can swell when the get hot. Not a good thing but it happens

6. fcat

I understand all the above but look at them, there's at least 50% space in there,lol

7. Sim597

That space is needed

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Dronego likes this.
  8. Dronego

Have you ever seen a Lipo battery swell up, they can grow up to three times their size, I had one in a model plane that crashed. If they blow look out

9. DonaldictTrumperbatch

Maybe the processor for the "smart" battery needs additional space and produces heat (for checking million times per second if its a genuine DJI battery).

lipos normally dont swell and dont need any cooling slits, they are dense packets.

Or I hope they left some room on purpose to provide larger capacity batteries in the future.

Lasernerd and fcat like this.
  10. Ramphex

x2 on cooling and possible swelling

11. jonebk12

Simply adding more cells/enlarging the battery isn't necessarily going to give you more flight time. You quickly run up against diminishing returns because of the added weight. Double the battery does not equal double flight time.

#11 jonebk12, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  12. Sim597

I thought Lipos were known to swell?

13. DonaldictTrumperbatch

if they are broken, but then you shouldn't use them anyways or they might start burning.

14. dirtybum

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466166961.050098.jpg ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466166985.631761.jpg ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1466167024.184562.jpg
    Nope not hollow, just appears that way. Thats why modding the p4 bat for externals is almost unheard of because its so tight in there you dont have room to run even a 16 guage wire up the sides

15. Sim597

What is this showing? Do u know bum? I can't tell if it's looking for a spot to connect too, or problem areas?

16. Stealthmatt

I believe this is showing thoughts/instructions on how to solder an additional wire so you can get 2 batteries together for longer flight time.

17. Sim597

Ah, thanks, it seems it is trying to explain or show something, I'm noticing my batteries has the "dent" the precursor to the crack, I'm positive it's from letting the batteries "snap" or "click" into position, so now I'm clicking them much more gently.

18. Nick Goss

If your LiPo is "puffing up" that means it's no longer valid for high draw use such as a quad (drone). In fact a LiPo that is experiencing puffing should be immediately put in the bin. Sometimes I keep 1 or 2 puffy ones to use for things like small LCD screen, but in terms of proper safety any LiPo that goes puffy should be disposed of and replaced. Putting a puffy LiPo into any quad is just asking to vent inside the quad. If you've ever seen a LiPo vent you'll know that should this happen your quad will be a total loss and will require replacing.