Phantom 3P Polar Pro ND8 Filter Test Video

Reaction score
Just took delivery of my Polar Pro 3-pack filter set. Took the ND8 filter out for a spin in the afternoon sun. The sun was high up in the sky and was extremely bright. I chose a manual setting of 1/50s for the shutter speed and took it at 1080P @ 24 FPS.
Color setting was Vivid and I used a custom white balance to achieve a more warm and cinematic look.
Sharpening was at -1, contrast -2.
All values were set and locked from the beginning and i did not adjust for any change in light or cloud condition. Therefore some scene you can see the highlights clipping.

Overall for an ND8 filter in such a bright condition, i think it worked pretty sweet. Can't wait till i get my hands on an ND16 or ND32 filter. Hope you guys enjoyed the video

Reactions: Milehighdesign
Interesting! Thanks for sharing ! When those shots was filmed?
It was filmed today, about two hours ago. Came back, showered, transferred the clips to my iphone 6 plus, and then edited in iMovie app.

I'm still using a very old computer and can't process 1080p videos on it, much less 4K. But soon i'll be shifting to a new house and i'll get new computers and software and finally be able to move out from these amatuer productions.

Reactions: pchin2
At the mid day, I can't get good results with my shoots due the light outside. Does the filters could change that or I need to change some setting? I'm not bad as a drone pilot but I'm bad as photographer...

Reactions: skyhighdiver
At the mid day, I can't get good results with my shoots due the light outside. Does the filters could change that or I need to change some setting? I'm not bad as a drone pilot but I'm bad as photographer...

it depends on the look you want for your videos. You can google some of the common setting videographers use to make their movies look more cinematic.
For example in this shot i used 1080p at 24fps, and my shutter is about twice the fps at 1/50s. If you shoot at 60fps use 1/120s. This introduces motion blur which seem more natural. If you use a fast shutter speed the movement looks very crisp and unnatural. Thats why you need a ND filter to block out the light and bring the shutter speed down, way down.

Reactions: Cthulhus
Garrie-

I had the Polar Pro set for a weekend. I was concerned because when the drone was at rest the gimbal defaulted to a "straight down" configuration. I was concerned that maybe the filters were a tad too heavy and maybe putting some additional strain on the gimbal...

Have you any concerns? And how do you get the 1/2 ratio for fps/shutter speed? Is there a formula for determining which *filter* to use?

Nice one Garrie. What was your EV during the filming?
What was your custom white balance? :)

Garrie-

I had the Polar Pro set for a weekend. I was concerned because when the drone was at rest the gimbal defaulted to a "straight down" configuration. I was concerned that maybe the filters were a tad too heavy and maybe putting some additional strain on the gimbal...

Have you any concerns? And how do you get the 1/2 ratio for fps/shutter speed? Is there a formula for determining which *filter* to use?
Yup that is what happens to mine too. I don't see any problems with it so far. The ND8 only works well when it's not too bright. I live in Singapore and I find myself using the DJI nd16 filter more often it is really great.
I dunno about you, but the polar pro filters seem to degrade image quality compared to the DJI nd16.

Nice one Garrie. What was your EV during the filming?
What was your custom white balance? :)
I can't remember exactly but I always try to keep it at 0 or +0.3. I believe in pushing the histogram a little to the right so that the shadow regions aren't too dark. Exposure will always change depending on where your camera faces. U can pan up and down and the ev will change.

Reactions: pchin2
Why do people want blur?
I like things to be a sharp as possible.
Blur in video makes movement more natural and look film like. When it's too sharp and crisp you get the jello effect and an amateur looking film.

Why do people want blur?
I like things to be a sharp as possible.

If I'm taking still photos then I want it sharp. For videography, I want the cinematic motion blur to make it more natural. Garrie has explained it earlier.

Here's a good video explanation & actual comparison by Frederick Hagan:

I can't remember exactly but I always try to keep it at 0 or +0.3. I believe in pushing the histogram a little to the right so that the shadow regions aren't too dark. Exposure will always change depending on where your camera faces. U can pan up and down and the ev will change.

Thanks Garrie. How about the Graduated ND16-8 filter?
Any plan to try this out too in the near future? :)

I never get Jello effect and I still dont see why you want things to be blurred!
In the cinema watching things like transformers etc the blur gets so bad you cant see what is going on. Modern technology means higher frame rates - use them!

Nice video. I made a gimbal lock and lens cap for my Polar pro set up. It's 3d printed from hard and soft filament. I did not want to have to remove my filters all the time.
DJI Phantom 3 - CLEAR PolarPro Gimbal Lock & WHITE lens cap- 3d printed
P_1.jpg
P_3.jpg

Reactions: pchin2 and zezrum
I never get Jello effect and I still dont see why you want things to be blurred!
In the cinema watching things like transformers etc the blur gets so bad you cant see what is going on. Modern technology means higher frame rates - use them!
There's nothing wrong with staying sharp. If that's your preference then go for it! Each to his own. ;-)

Thanks Garrie. How about the Graduated ND16-8 filter?
Any plan to try this out too in the near future? :)
I'm wanting to get that too. But even though it is good, I foresee that it won't get much use. It's a very specific filter. You can only use it when there is a clear horizon.

I'm wanting to get that too. But even though it is good, I foresee that it won't get much use. It's a very specific filter. You can only use it when there is a clear horizon.
I'm tempted to get it too but you have a point there. I'm thinking if it's better for me to have it but don't need it yet rather than when I need it but I don't have it. :confused: :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl