Phantom 3 Standard wifi unstable

Reaction score
Just had my first flight with my new Phantom 3 Standard. I have had a Phantom 2 Vision for a couple of years so am pretty competent flying.

Before the flight I installed the latest DJI Go app on my HTC one and used this to install connect to the Phantom and install the latest firmware as requested by the app. Ground test looked fine so went to a nearby field well away from obstructions lines etc where I have flown the Phantom 2 Vision many times with no problem. The P3S flew very nicely and I tested all the modes and P/A/F successfully took some video and stills but several times the message lost signal appeared on the app. Whe the message was on screen I still had full RC control but the video link froze then cleared so I am guessing this meant that it had lost WiFi. I was never further away than 230 feet horizontally and about 170 feet in altitude so this is a bit disappointing, Any ideas would be appreciated.

That's way too short of a distance to lose video signal. Try to reset Wifi or use a different device if you have one.

Thanks, I agree with my P2V I had solid Wifi out to 500 feet plus. I will try another phone. What exactly do you mean by resetting the wifi?

Thanks, I agree with my P2V I had solid Wifi out to 500 feet plus. I will try another phone. What exactly do you mean by resetting the wifi?
Here are the instructions in the manual.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1452451494.468621.jpg

Reactions: krakatoa56
Took my first flight this morning, wanted to try to catch the sunrise with my new P3S.
I am new to UAVs, so started with Beginner mode; all went well and reached 30m range limit quickly.
No issues with controller range or live video, (although I later found I'd not recorded when I thought I had, but rather when I thought I'd not - only take off and landings).

Happy with how easy the craft operation was, I switched off Beginner to try a slightly higher altitude.
Got to about 50m and the DJI Go app lost connection, no more live video. I still had control, so I cancelled the return to home prompt and descended manually.
About 35m away, the live video reconnected. Tried again by moving the craft further across the field; at a similar distance of 50m the live video was lost.

I was flying the quad on football fields in the local park, with perfect LOS. Definately not impressed with the range of the WiFi.
I'll try again with my Hudl2 - (Samsung Galaxy Ace seemed up to the job, but maybe not?), if that is not better - what else to try?

Interesting that you have had wifi problems a well t0mbola, sound moreconsistently a range issue than mine as I lost wifi even close in but then had good wifi further out at times. I am going to try a wifi reset tomorrow as Mandalay suggested and see if that helps.

OK Today at last the weather was OK to test my Phantom 3 Standard after resetting the wifi and uninstalling and reinstalling the DJI Go app. GREAT NEWS! It worked I had a solid wifi throughout the fight and took video and stills with no problem. I flew in P/A/F modes and all worked as advertised. Thanks Mandalay for you advice. I am still not sure whether it was the resetting of the wifi or the reinstalling of the app that did the trick. My guess is the app, but anyone else with the problem should probably do both.

Reactions: mandalay
Cool I will note this tips.

Still waiting on the weather to improve here.
Glad to hear of your success krakatoa56.
I will try both, resetting and reinstalling, the first opportunity I get.

OK Today at last the weather was OK to test my Phantom 3 Standard after resetting the wifi and uninstalling and reinstalling the DJI Go app. GREAT NEWS! It worked I had a solid wifi throughout the fight and took video and stills with no problem. I flew in P/A/F modes and all worked as advertised. Thanks Mandalay for you advice. I am still not sure whether it was the resetting of the wifi or the reinstalling of the app that did the trick. My guess is the app, but anyone else with the problem should probably do both.
Glad to hear your issue is resolved.

does the drone need to be powered on when doing this reset my light on the controller turns red and green color not solid
For Wifi reset, the drone does not need to be on. But you might have a different issue, possibly the controller is not connected to the drone. In this case, you need to turn on the drone and see if it's linked first.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1452821335.916933.jpg

For Wifi reset, the drone does not need to be on. But you might have a different issue, possibly the controller is not connected to the drone. In this case, you need to turn on the drone and see if it's linked first.
View attachment 40519
thank you,my drone is connecting but has had the same issue more so after updating filmware like yours so just turn on controller flip s2 switch three times and hold wheel to the right how long will it take and when im doing this and has happened the light blinks from re to green back and forth

thank you,my drone is connecting but has had the same issue more so after updating filmware like yours so just turn on controller flip s2 switch three times and hold wheel to the right how long will it take and when im doing this and has happened the light blinks from re to green back and forth
So if you did it correctly, the Wifi SSID is reset to default; password is 12341234. Check if your mobile device is connected to this Wifi network.

So if you did it correctly, the Wifi SSID is reset to default; password is 12341234. Check if your mobile device is connected to this Wifi network.
that I did not do I only turned on the controller so I should have my tabet on also man im stupid

I'm going to need step by step confused first do I turn on only the controller or everything including the tablet the go into WiFi on the app under WiFi which I did comes up with 1234124 then says restart drone later or now something like that

Last edited:
Here are the steps:
1. Turn on the controller
2. Go to your mobile device and turn on Wifi
3. Connect to the Wifi network that you reset (should be Phantom_xxx) and enter password 12341234. Make sure it's connected.
4. Turn on the drone
5. Launch DJI Go app on your mobile device and tap on Enter Camera View
6. You should see a live view from the drone's camera
7. Use the gimbal dial on the controller and see if you can tilt the camera up and down. If so, you should be good to go since the controller is linked to the drone

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl