Phantom 3 Standard range mod , let's do it together...

Hi all,

Today I have checked RC of my P3S (DBS installed) with Rodhe & Schwartz FSH-8 spectrum analyzer, and I would like to share some results.

rs_m.jpg

So, 2.4 GHz power is 16dbm in CE mode, 19dbm in FCC mode, and after changing power by command "iw dev wlan0 set tx power 2700", the analyzer shows me about 26 dbm. This is maximum of power on 2.4 GHz. You can, as example, set tx power to 33dbm, but actually you will get 26-27 dbm.

5.8 GHz power is 7 dbm (i was surprised, but maybe this is not correct vaule due to proprietary digital modulation). There is no matter if RC in CE or FCC mode. Looks like the 5.8 GHz power is a constant.

Maybe this will help for further mods.

By the way, I also checked this 5.8 GHz amplifier and this 2.4 GHz amplifier.
5.8 GHz amplifier works fine and gain is about 7 dbm.
2.4 GHz amplifier, with described 2W output power, actually can give 500 mW output from 100 mW input. I tried to put 500 mW to input, but got 500 mW on output, and signal is very dirty, gives very big interference on entire Wi-Fi band.

Thanks. Good job.
You're correct about 5.8, not typical wifi. It's some sort of CW modulation. According to the specs it should be around 14dBm, Also my own measurements on Pdet confirm that. I measured about 0.45V on Pdet output at the rf amplifier - this converts to 14dBm (25mW).

Thanks. Good job.
You're correct about 5.8, not typical wifi. It's some sort of CW modulation. According to the specs it should be around 14dBm, Also my own measurements on Pdet confirm that. I measured about 0.45V on Pdet output at the rf amplifier - this converts to 14dBm (25mW).
802.11n have OFDM modulation, not CW.

Ah, you mean 5.8... Sorry :)
Can't agree. It's not like CW, it's some type of wide digital signal with FHSS.
I will post pectrum images here later.

GFSK to be specific.

Attachments

• BK5811Datasheetv1.1.pdf
    978.4 KB · Views: 1,071
All these talks about amplifiers on 2,4 ghz, is there any mileage (no pun intended) in installing an amplifier on the 5,8 ghz ?
Has anyone tried it ?

Got P3S yesterday. Not happy with range. Considering I also live in dense residential area with hundreds of wifi networks around.
So I tried to hack(?) in to it to see what can be done.
I was so far successful getting inside via FTP :

IP: 192.168.1.1
User : root
Pass : Big~9China

Now I can see entire linux system,
Found an interesting bit in configuration file that loads the module with parameter if the location is 'GB'. I presume 'GB' means europe (as opposed to US and JP )

This is from one the three interesting rcS files inside /etc/config/

rcSap

#!/bin/sh

# This script runs when init it run during the boot process.
# Mounts everything in the fstab

mount -o remount +w /
mount -t tmpfs mdev /dev
mkdir -p /dev/pts
mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts
mount -t sysfs sysfs /sys
mount -t proc proc /proc
mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /tmp
echo /sbin/mdev > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
mdev -s

mknod /dev/caldata b 31 6
mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug
mkdir /var/run
mkdir /var/lock
mkdir /var/log
/sbin/klogd
/sbin/syslogd

insmod /lib/modules/3.10.49/compat.ko
insmod /lib/modules/3.10.49/crypto_blkcipher.ko
insmod /lib/modules/3.10.49/crc-ccitt.ko
insmod /lib/modules/3.10.49/arc4.ko
insmod /lib/modules/3.10.49/cfg80211.ko
insmod /lib/modules/3.10.49/mac80211.ko
insmod /lib/modules/3.10.49/ath.ko
country=`fw_printenv -n country`
if [ $country = "GB" ];then
insmod /lib/modules/3.10.49/ath9k_hw.ko cert_country=1
else
insmod /lib/modules/3.10.49/ath9k_hw.ko
fi
insmod /lib/modules/3.10.49/ath9k_common.ko
insmod /lib/modules/3.10.49/ath9k.ko

echo dji > /proc/sys/kernel/hostname
/etc/init.d/sysfixtime boot

iw dev wlan0 del
#iw phy phy0 set antenna all all
iw phy phy0 set antenna_gain 0
iw phy phy0 set distance 0
iw phy phy0 interface add wlan0 type managed

ifconfig wlan0 up

brctl addbr br-lan
ifconfig br-lan 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
dwifi ap start
apsrv &

ifconfig usb0 hw ether 60:60:1f:ff:ff:ff up
brctl addif br-lan usb0
brctl addif br-lan wlan0

ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up
/usr/sbin/udhcpd -S /etc/udhcpd.conf &
#telnetd -l /bin/ash &
mkdir -m 0755 -p /var/run/vsftpd
/usr/sbin/vsftpd &
djiled.sh &

iw phy phy0 set retry short 1 long 1
iw phy phy0 set rts off
iw phy phy0 set frag 256
iw dev wlan0 set noack_map 0x00c0

End of that file....

So in case you missed it or don't want to read entire file here is the interesting bit :

country=`fw_printenv -n country`
if [ $country = "GB" ];then
insmod /lib/modules/3.10.49/ath9k_hw.ko cert_country=1
else
insmod /lib/modules/3.10.49/ath9k_hw.ko
fi

For those who are not programmers, this part of script decides how to load the wifi module (driver).
If the country is GB it will append a parameter "cert_country=1" to the module.
Otherwise it will load the driver without parameter , without limiting the transmit power <---- and THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE ALL WANT ;)

I have been able to modify via this FTP connection so I removed 'cert_country=1' from it hoping it will do the trick, however after the reboot the file came back to original state (overwriting my changes). Need some help to get this stay permanently.

Hopefully someone with more brains can help.
Have anyone tried connecting via TTL serial ?

Hope to get this solved soon, range is crap on stock P3S in europe mode.
I'm however extremely happy with the performance of the aircraft itself. Amazing stability, amazing quality video, I definitely do not need 4k.

Good luck. And don't forget to share your findings :p

Thanks.
Tom.

I just created an account and came here to say thank you.. and thanks to everybody that contributed to this post.. Happy to inform that after 3 weeks of not flying my P3S because of the last update 1.6.8, and after trying everything (Resets, downgrades, customer support, ) not getting anywhere and stuck with a 500$ useless machine I'm finally flying again thanks to this post.. I followed all the steps closely and carefully , modified the files and now my bird flies like never before. I always knew that the problem was related to the firmware and now I can confirm it!. Again eternal gratitude to all of you!

thanks
Special for you =-))))

execute one time
echo '* * * * * if [ `/usr/sbin/iw reg get | sed -n 1p | cut -c9-10`!=US ]; then /usr/sbin/iw reg set US && /usr/sbin/iw dev wlan0 set txpower fixed 2700; fi' > /etc/crontabs/root

or create file /etc/crontabs/root
* * * * * if [ `/usr/sbin/iw reg get | sed -n 1p | cut -c9-10`!=US ]; then /usr/sbin/iw reg set US && /usr/sbin/iw dev wlan0 set txpower fixed 2700; fi

And Add To /etc/init.d/rcS

mkdir -p /var/spool/cron
ln -s /var/spool/cron/crontabs /etc/crontabs
/usr/sbin/crond

p.s. But i think "iw reg set US" does not change EEPROM ....

Hi to all.
Is that method safe for a drone and the controller? I asking because other methods won't work for me :(

thanks

Hi to all.
Is that method safe for a drone and the controller? I asking because other methods won't work for me :(
Don't do this. There are methods in this thread if you read back far enough that won't f@*k it up. This is not good for your bird, and could potentially cause the wifi to cut out mid flight. What's more, it also does this `iw dev wlan0 set txpower fixed 2700` - this is never good either, and can cause your wifi card to overheat. `iw dev wlan0 set txpower limit 2700` should be used.

I just created an account and came here to say thank you.. and thanks to everybody that contributed to this post.. Happy to inform that after 3 weeks of not flying my P3S because of the last update 1.6.8, and after trying everything (Resets, downgrades, customer support, ) not getting anywhere and stuck with a 500$ useless machine I'm finally flying again thanks to this post.. I followed all the steps closely and carefully , modified the files and now my bird flies like never before. I always knew that the problem was related to the firmware and now I can confirm it!. Again eternal gratitude to all of you!
Great to hear! And welcome to the forum! I can't take any credit for this discovery or its development, however can concur that this has indeed brought a new lease of life to my Phantom 3 Standard. :D

Reactions: Aldo962
thanks

Hi to all.

hi tom, i;m using that crontab..works for me when djigo active and gps lock power will be back to 17dbm, and with that cron in a secs it will push back again to 27dbm (no problem with me so far)

Don't do this. There are methods in this thread if you read back far enough that won't f@*k it up. This is not good for your bird, and could potentially cause the wifi to cut out mid flight. What's more, it also does this `iw dev wlan0 set txpower fixed 2700` - this is never good either, and can cause your wifi card to overheat. `iw dev wlan0 set txpower limit 2700` should be used.
hi jack thats interesting, what a different fixed with limit ?

hi i follow tutorial from 1 page. but now i cannot ditect my wifi AP.
but from RC to Drome stil connect and can fly. any solution.

Hello jackhadrill, in a previous post you put a link to a pdf document to recap all the relevant posts of this thread. Well I can't download it, and after all this reading I have a lot of confusion in my head. It would be great if you can share that document again, I think any newbie to linux like me will appreciate it a lot. So can you share your document again, please !

I finally got everything together again, applied the mod and installed the sunhans 2.4 ghz 3 watt amp (only one which I think should be enough) and the 5.8 ghz 2 watt amp. Now waiting for good weather to test distance.
d7996c1fc83c7c1dc2002560c5f2d9f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: longdog
I finally got everything together again, applied the mod and installed the sunhans 2.4 ghz 3 watt amp (only one which I think should be enough) and the 5.8 ghz 2 watt amp. Now waiting for good weather to test distance.

Really nice setup.
Do you have an amp on the drone also ?

Hi guys and thanks again for interesting discussion and great advice's!

I enabled the telnet service and modified the rcS file on my AC + RC. 'iwinfo' and 'iw reg get' both show correct information until i connect the Litchi on Android platform. I've uninstalled DJI Go completely so it wouldn't interfere in any case. The FCC mode is kept enabled even if i perform the CSC without starting any app from my tablet/phone. The weird thing is that if i use Litchi with my iPhone, FCC mode won't be changed to CE, at least during my brief testing period.

I think i need to test if the FCC mode can be manually forced on after the Litchi (A) has been started.

Have any of you encountered anything similar and which platforms are you running Litchi on?

CE region

Phantom 3 4k
Latest firmware

Litchi
iOS: Version 1.9.2 (Iphone 6)
Android: 3.6.5 (Nexus 7 2013)

Very nice. I'm interested to see the results. I just ordered the silver 2w 2.4 and 5.8 Sunhans amps. Doing install later this week.

Do you have any concern with interference with having the amps on the DBS antenna?
Also, can you post a photo of the back of the remote so I can see your battery hook up?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart