Phantom 3 Pro Catastrophic Battery Failure

I had the same problem. On the ground testing some else when I got the Batt err , incas a short cut to plugging in the battery, it was an eighty an inch. before it snapped in to aircraft. My fault because it's to hard to remove from aircraft.

Thread cleaned. On topic or not at all, that's where we're at here.

Good luck, buddy. I had the exact same thing happen to me. After a LOT of wrestling with DJI, I was able to get them to give me a 50% off deal, which I begrudgingly accepted. Even then, it took weeks to get the replacement. I learned that internally, they label these a "return to home failure", which (IMHO) is NOT correct.

Crushing tale. Sorry for your luck, sir. I hope the freshwater doesn't compound your damage. Not long ago, I had a colleague asked me to go fishing in his huge, expensive boat. We pulled up to fuel, he promptly filled the tank 1/4 of the way and off we went. The story is comical now -- but very seriously death-defying-at-the-time horrific. Not only will I no longer board any craft without full preparation, I'm driving my own **** boat from now on! LMAO. So…call me a quad junkie if ya like, but I have all three of my batteries topped off before I pee in the morning.

Reactions: bobmyers
Keep it for parts. The camera optics will have to be cleaned though. I can relate to the 30% deal. I have one pending also due to "unscheduled landing" lets say

Last edited:
Can we possibly get back OT?

~~~

What we really need is some data.

Perhaps a few folks could kindly take the risk and do a controlled flight (like hovering within ground effect zone on a non-windy day) starting with a 100% charged battery, and a 50% charged battery, and report back their voltage numbers from the controller-side logs.

Rinse, wash, and repeat SEVERAL times. Emphasis on several, as larger sample size is always better.

Then we can compare the discharge/voltage curves and see what's what.

It's possible there is indeed some sort of bug or other oddity where the Phantom responds differently when starting with a less-than-full battery.

It's also possible, that there is no connection at all.

But rather than yell over/at/around/near each other, why don't we do some tests, get some data, and then make a slightly more informed yelling match. ;-)
Exactly!
All this speculation means nothing. Please someone do some actual tests. Put on your flameproof suit before posting. Folks don't lie to be shown they are wrong.

Can we possibly get back OT?

~~~

What we really need is some data.

Perhaps a few folks could kindly take the risk and do a controlled flight (like hovering within ground effect zone on a non-windy day) starting with a 100% charged battery, and a 50% charged battery, and report back their voltage numbers from the controller-side logs.

Rinse, wash, and repeat SEVERAL times. Emphasis on several, as larger sample size is always better.

Then we can compare the discharge/voltage curves and see what's what.

It's possible there is indeed some sort of bug or other oddity where the Phantom responds differently when starting with a less-than-full battery.

It's also possible, that there is no connection at all.

But rather than yell over/at/around/near each other, why don't we do some tests, get some data, and then make a slightly more informed yelling match. ;-)
Great suggestion. I eagerly await your results.

Not true, many other people have started from a full battery and encountered this issue. This is a big problem DJI needs to fix. The p1 and 2 never had this problem. (They had the flyaway)
Since this thread is about possible battery issues, I'll relate that I had some batteries that gave up early in flight on my P2 standard. The batteries were fully charged and flights started with fully charged batteries, but after some minutes, less than usual, the batteries quickly dropped to about 50%. Got warning indicators on the OSD and the craft went into low battery auto-land. Nothing I could do to stop it. So, yes, the battery situation HAS happened to P2's. Those batteries had about 20 flights each on them. They have been retired. Chock it up to probable operator mischarging and storage of the batteries.

Except that only people here, with NO knowledge of the software OR hardware, are the only ones trying to say to never fly multiple flights on a single charge. Good try though.

And you with no knowledge say to ignore that as a potential issue. Not making much sense with that sideways argument, are you? :)

Unfortunately, there has never been a flight that was determined to end in a crash that was stated by DJI to have been blamed on it being a second or third flight on a single charge. The reference to a real aircraft STARTED when some fool told me I didn't know what I was talking about and that a real pilot would correct me. It never happened. And never will. RTFM doesnt imply that one should read in to it.

You are laughing at those who point out the obvious. That is what begin this most interesting line of discussion.

Now you say there is no proof. What you prove is trollishness.

Is there a full moon or something?
You guys need to dial it back a bit. Stop the bickering.
Feel free to debate the topic but hold off on the negativity.

I worked on hybrid vehicles for awhile and keeping track of the state of charge (SOC) is very difficult. The calibrations are performed by charging the battery all the way up and then discharging it and trying to map a voltage/current/load/SOC map. This SOC remains fairly accurate during this process, going from full charge and discharging the battery tracking current (current integration). When you start with a battery that is not fully charged and has been sitting the voltage will be elevated from when you stopped your last flight but lower than full charge, so you can tell it is not full but it is hard to place it exactly. After running on it the voltage/current output for a given load can help you place the SOC, but it is never as accurate as starting with a fully charged battery and certainly not accurate at the start, there is no way for it be. If you plot voltage versus SOC it is not linear.

So, to get the most accurate SOC tracking on the Phantom starting with a full battery is wise and is the only thing I would do. The longer the time between your first flight and second the higher the risk. Like I said, I would never do it but if I did I would try to keep track of how long I fly on a full battery charge, call that 20 min, and compare to the two flights split on a battery. If I flew 10 min and stopped and then flew the next day on the same battery, I would be pretty nervous after about 5 min...

I worked on hybrid vehicles for awhile and keeping track of the state of charge (SOC) is very difficult. The calibrations are performed by charging the battery all the way up and then discharging it and trying to map a voltage/current/load/SOC map. This SOC remains fairly accurate during this process, going from full charge and discharging the battery tracking current (current integration). When you start with a battery that is not fully charged and has been sitting the voltage will be elevated from when you stopped your last flight but lower than full charge, so you can tell it is not full but it is hard to place it exactly. After running on it the voltage/current output for a given load can help you place the SOC, but it is never as accurate as starting with a fully charged battery and certainly not accurate at the start, there is no way for it be. If you plot voltage versus SOC it is not linear.

So, to get the most accurate SOC tracking on the Phantom starting with a full battery is wise and is the only thing I would do. The longer the time between your first flight and second the higher the risk. Like I said, I would never do it but if I did I would try to keep track of how long I fly on a full battery charge, call that 20 min, and compare to the two flights split on a battery. If I flew 10 min and stopped and then flew the next day on the same battery, I would be pretty nervous after about 5 min...
That is the first real explanation that has been offered regarding this issue. Thanks for sharing your expertise with us.:):)

Reactions: UpTo90 and Jbundy63

That makes a lot of sense! So it could potentially be logical to not fly a second flight on a battery that was flown partially the prior day. But it should be fine to fly subsequent flight within the same afternoon or so. And THAT is what most of us are doing that say we safely fly multiple flights. Its not like they are separated by a dozen hours. Its more like maybe a few hours.

That makes a lot of sense! So it could potentially be logical to not fly a second flight on a battery that was flown partially the prior day. But it should be fine to fly subsequent flight within the same afternoon or so. And THAT is what most of us are doing that say we safely fly multiple flights. Its not like they are separated by a dozen hours. Its more like maybe a few hours.

Agree, one thing to check is that the remaining battery percent and flight time on your second flight matches the end of your first flight. I suspect that if you fly a battery down to say 45% and then wait a couple days when you put it back in and power up it will show a higher percentage. I'll try this when I get mine...

Agree, one thing to check is that the remaining battery percent and flight time on your second flight matches the end of your first flight. I suspect that if you fly a battery down to say 45% and then wait a couple days when you put it back in and power up it will show a higher percentage. I'll try this when I get mine...
You should be thinking about landing at 45%, because depending on altitude and distance you could be in real trouble with a 45% battery-- you may have 4 minutes left to low battery warning if you are lucky and the lower they get the faster the discharge.

I will try to give this a test tomorrow and sunday and report back.

In further thinking, this could be potentially overcome by stressing the battery some prior to the subsequent take-off to get it to show its true colors. It seems most are getting the warning very soon after takeoff. Several aggressive takeoffs might mellow down the voltages to show whats more accurate. Thoughts?

If you leave a battery at 45% for a day, you might see a voltage increase on unloaded battery, it's called open circuit voltage but the moment you load it by connecting to your P3, voltage will fall. This voltage will be equal or less than 45% if loaded to same level.

If you leave a battery at 45% for a day, you might see a voltage increase on unloaded battery, it's called open circuit voltage but the moment you load it by connecting to your P3, voltage will fall. This voltage will be equal or less than 45% if loaded to same level.

Exactly, that is why the Phantom will think it has more than 45% and then when you load it the Phantom will rapidly drop its estimation. I am curious how much it changes upward and how fast it returns to reflect the true state of charge....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor