Phantom 3 fell from the sky and crushed the roof of a moving car

No post....it must not have happened. You spent the time to open your mouth and then quit when I ask for the post
Try post 189 and 190!

So who's paying for the damage to the car or can it even be repaired properly, both aesthetically and weather-wise.

One vacation handed out. Please stop with the personal attacks in this thread...

Reactions: pomonabill220
And just to elaborate, the DJI Wiki for the Phantom 3 confirms that the H point - the green/yellow transition, is calculated as the point with enough battery remaining to return to the home point. Obviously that is not a fixed point. It moves around much more than the yellow/red transition point, but that can move too - as I said - I have flight records showing it moving.

Yes the home point keeps moving according to the time required to return to home. I just went through a 22 minute flight record and yes the yellow line will move if the home point is less than the percentage set for the low battery warning but the length of the red line never changed throughout the whole flight. How about his icon in the upper left corner of his flight record, why does that change? Is there an explanation for that?

Yes the home point keeps moving according to the time required to return to home
Isn't that the RTH point and not the home point? i didn't think the home point moved, but I could see the RTH point moving according to battery remaining?
Are you referring to the little R with the circle around it in the bar showing battery level and the red/yellow/green?
Did i get this wrong?

Yes the home point keeps moving according to the time required to return to home. I just went through a 22 minute flight record and yes the yellow line will move if the home point is less than the percentage set for the low battery warning but the length of the red line never changed throughout the whole flight. How about his icon in the upper left corner of his flight record, why does that change? Is there an explanation for that?

Not all my flights show movement of the yellow/red point, but some do - it definitely happens. I'm not sure about the icon switching between the default DJI icon and the Phantom 3. Seems odd, but I don't know enough to conclude anything from that either way.

Isn't that the RTH point and not the home point? i didn't think the home point moved, but I could see the RTH point moving according to battery remaining?
Are you referring to the little R with the circle around it in the bar showing battery level and the red/yellow/green?
Did i get this wrong?

Yes, the H with the circle is the RTH point, I called it the home point, which was wrong.

Reactions: pomonabill220
Yes, the H with the circle is the RTH point, I called it the home point, which was wrong.
WHEW.... I thought I had it wrong... thank you for clearing that up!
It makes sense that the RTH would move when the battery level changes. It could change for any number of reasons due to wind/flying conditions/etc.

Not all my flights show movement of the yellow/red point, but some do - it definitely happens. I'm not sure about the icon switching between the default DJI icon and the Phantom 3. Seems odd, but I don't know enough to conclude anything from that either way.

Okay, I figured it out now. I was wrong. The two white points on the line are where the low battery warning and the critical battery warnings are set and his RTH point is less than the critical battery warning so the red and yellow lines will change.

Reactions: Reed L and sar104
Okay, I figured it out now. I was wrong. The two white points on the line are where the low battery warning and the critical battery warnings are set and his RTH point is less than the critical battery warning so the red and yellow lines will change.

I haven't quite figured out the relationship between the preset (white) points and the green/yellow/red parts of the line, other than that, apparently, the colored lines are calculated based on flight conditions and distance from home point, while the preset points are purely battery levels. On my flights, where the red line moves, it is actually further right than my preset critical level, so the other way around from this example.

que pasa con el coche? Caramba!

After a speed-read through all this, am I right in saying that the op didn't witness the actual event? If that's right then all we are dealing with is second hand reports.
It seems most likely to me that the op is perfectly honest in reporting what he's been told, as is the pilot, but could it be that the owner of the car had an already dented roof and is going to use the drone crash to get the whole thing fixed? That would clear up the second dent question.
Just a thought. Now I'll sit back and wait for the hate..

After a speed-read through all this, am I right in saying that the op didn't witness the actual event? If that's right then all we are dealing with is second hand reports.
It seems most likely to me that the op is perfectly honest in reporting what he's been told, as is the pilot, but could it be that the owner of the car had an already dented roof and is going to use the drone crash to get the whole thing fixed? That would clear up the second dent question.
Just a thought. Now I'll sit back and wait for the hate..

I had considered that as it looks to be easily interpreted that way.
It's one reason I mentioned a need for more info to pin it down.

Hard to do a good reconstruction from just a photo.

I have seen similar dents went impacting with an easily movable object,

A Phantom falling would not crush the roof in. It may hit in one spot and do damage but the width of the damage was not done as described.
A car has bracing bars running across the roof, not fore and aft which explains the way the panel has deformed...and looking at the second pic there appear to be 3 indentations from the motors, upside down, IMO.

This is why I don't drive convertible car!
Most convertibles also have pop up roll bars if a crash or rollover is sensed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl