Phantom 3 EU output power limit

I'm gonna stir up this hornet's nest of a thread:
(similar info also posted in the thread titled 'FCC Application for Phantom 3 Pro and Advanced')

I reviewed the 'GRANT OF EQUIPMENT AUTHORIZATION' for the P3 Tx found here:
http://fccid.net/number.php?fcc=SS3-GL3001501&id=845254#axzz3Xf1LcJhR

Interesting, it shows a conducted Tx power level of only 0.038 watts. This is VERY close to the CE limit for Tx power.

This is measured by a direct connection to the Tx antenna coaxial output connector in to 50 ohm power sensor.
0.038 watts = 15.8dBm.

Now the interesting part... the [U.S. / FCC model] Tx employs a 3.5dBi forward gain antenna.
(I have no idea if it's the left or the right one, the other is Rx only.)

Now if we add the 15.8dBm conducted Tx power + the antenna's 3.5dBi forward gain, we get: 19.3dBm or 0.085mW.

A bit shy of 20dBm or 100mW.

It would seem the antenna(s) (at least the Tx) are directional to achieve the gain and thus have a front/rear.

Also, pure speculation:
It may be that the CE versions omit the 3.5dBi gain Tx antenna and use a typical omni. Because the Tx's conducted output is [only] 0.038mW the Tx can be the exact same model for the CE with [just] a different Tx antenna and be within the CE max power limit.

I welcome others to read the doc. and see what thier opinions are.

Ok we all know by now it setts from GPS location from guys on here who have been told so from DJI. On friday tho even tho i had a email from them earlier in the week saying it doesnt i could still not be certain of this so emailed them and asked this question again. After learning on here over the weekend that plenty of others had email from dji stating it auto set i forgot all about the first email from dji saying to me it was factory set. Now this morning a get my email back from fridays question which reads this below.

Hello Lee
Thanks for your email
The CE and FCC setting should be changed manually and it cannot be updated automatically with GPS/GLONASS.
I'm connecting you to our support team who may help you with more information
Thank you

Best regards,
DJI Sales Dept.

Sounds like they dont know a great deal on this subject to be fair but do state it is not automatic with GPS/GLONASS. Why do i keep getting replys saying it doesnt but others saying it does.
Be interesting to read other replys that have been told it does.

It's almost as though DJI do it deliberately, it was the same with the backpack issue with people who *should* know the product saying different things.
It's not as if this were some minor thing in great catalogue of products.
It's their new flagship item - really how difficult is it for the support and sales team to read from one script.

It's not reasonably to still be making out it's some new item still at prototype stage and details not finalised.
They are supposed to start shipping from the 22nd which is middle of next week.

Why cant those idiots just contact the higherups and finally get this question solved holy cow what a bunch of useless
Support there...

Reactions: leekiya
Do any of you guys know if the CE has a similar database like the FCC over here?

If we could see the certification/compliance test docs. or similar you can learn a great deal.

Last edited:
My final email reply from dji, and hopefully this subject put to bed with this auto setting nonsense gone.

Dear Lee,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

1) The CE and FCC setting is predetermined and shipped according to the order countries.

2) But the RC compatiable for both CE & FCC.

3) It can not be change manually or GPS automatically.

Hope that is clear for you.

Thank you for choosing DJI.

Best Regards,

DJI Product Application Technical Support

Lee I really don't think the FCC or CE issue is a big deal. The transmission output limits is nothing new. There has been various technologies released with different power levels. The Phantom 2 had FCC or CE on the tx. When I did real world tests there was no major difference in distance. What made the difference is Antenna upgrades and amps

Lightbridge has had CE and FCC - I have both - there is no noticable difference

My Inspire - I don't even know if it is CE or FCC but did I care? No it flies further than I can ever require in reality

So will the P3 be crippled by FCC or CE? I doubt it. DJI need to comply with the rules but I don't think they will make a P3 that flies 150 yards in Europe and 8000 yards in the US. So I think unless we are talking drastic differences in range this won't be a issue. If it turns out to be a issue there will be dozens of solutions worked out by the creative clever people who will be flying these in time

I don't think range will be an issue either after seeing what dji said last week over on rcgroups about it still getting a good distance in CE. I think he said he had tested both personally and didn't see a lot of difference. Hope so anyway

does not matter what marketing says, I am sure I will try to order FCC version anyway, it costs nothing to try.....

this guy got one in UK and his controller beeps once..... not like mohans that beeps twice... interesting...
looks like dji sets the power to CE at the factory and not by gps as they claimed

Mohan has a pre-production unit.

Some caution must be utilized when comparing this-or-that to his, No???

Mohan has a pre-production unit.

Some caution must be utilized when comparing this-or-that to his, No???

thats correct... this is not conclusive at all... just an observation....
it would help if someone who received a production US unit can tell us if its TX beeps once or twice

I assume you've read the manual?

It doesn't mention the number of beeps, just that it beeps.

Not saying this helps with anything.

Not seen any range test yet for a production model in EC setting.
this guy got one in UK and his controller beeps once..... not like mohans that beeps twice... interesting...
looks like dji sets the power to CE at the factory and not by gps as they claimed

Dji never claimed it was auto GPS set, it was blade and ed who said this. Since then i have sent a very in depth email to dji asking for it to passed onto someone higher to find out the truth on the matter as i had had 3 or 4 emails from them stating it was not, but there own head test pilot and forum tech said it was auto GPS set . It took 3 days but my reply back still said it was not GPS auto set and was indeed set at the factory according to its shipping destination and any other information i was being told was wrong. I have asked blade since if he has followed this up for us but no reply as yet.
I knew the CE versions would beep just the once tho. knew it.

Not having a pop at blade for not getting back by the way, i suspect he has been vvvvery very busy helping people with the APP situation going on right now.

Last edited:
Have my controller in my hand here in US. How do I make it beep? Mine beeps 3 times when powering on. beep Beep BEEP. Same when shutting off. BEEP Beep beep.

It might be possible to open up the transmitter and turn a screw to give you full power (fcc mode) who knows !.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl