Phantom 2 Vision Plus release issues

Reaction score
These are the issues I have come across in my travels through this board (with my issues being first):
1. Gimbal not quite level - no fix yet, must return to distributor.
2. 3.0 & 3.2 software seems to cause degraded flight stability stability. - no fix other than dowgrading firmware.
3. No video - multiple reports of camera issues and app issues. - no fix yet, must return to distributor.
4. Loose connections inside Phantom. Open it up, check them and fix with silicone.
5. Transmitter bricking on update - no fix yet.
6. Flyaways - even experienced pilots are having them. Plenty of precautions, no explanations.

It reminds me of a 100 other must-have toys from my youth- seemed really cool, sometimes even was for a while, then it just broke. For $1369, this should be reliable, easy to repair with surplus parts available, and excellent, fast customer support and service. It is NOT reliable, it has few surplus parts available, and poor customer service/support. This has to be the coolest, most exciting hobby I've gotten into in a long while, but I am spooked. DJI... not quite ready for prime time, baby. I own a Phantom FC40 and a P2V+, I will not purchase another DJI product, unless some things change.

I think the demand is so huge they can't keep up. These are complex systems that now need to be manufactured on a global scale. I doubt there has been sufficient verification of all design requirements, if in fact they had a full set of requirements. So, given the speed of development, highly integrated complex systems, there are going to be malfunctions as painful as that is. There's just no way to test and design for all scenarios and keep in mind this is a commercial system, not a military device. Even in that world, we see regularly drones go down. I don't like it but what does not get talked about is all the times people fly beyond range and it successfully returns homes. Willing to bet that happens more than the flyaways.

Interesting thread.....not sure yet what the right answer is, and mine is one of the ones sitting because it has a defect with no known solution. But as I write this, the tread just below this one is titled " Who has them in stock?"

DrJoe said:
These are the issues I have come across in my travels through this board (with my issues being first):
1. Gimbal not quite level - no fix yet, must return to distributor.
2. 3.0 & 3.2 software seems to cause degraded flight stability stability. - no fix other than dowgrading firmware.
3. No video - multiple reports of camera issues and app issues. - no fix yet, must return to distributor.
4. Loose connections inside Phantom. Open it up, check them and fix with silicone.
5. Transmitter bricking on update - no fix yet.
6. Flyaways - even experienced pilots are having them. Plenty of precautions, no explanations.

It reminds me of a 100 other must-have toys from my youth- seemed really cool, sometimes even was for a while, then it just broke. For $1369, this should be reliable, easy to repair with surplus parts available, and excellent, fast customer support and service. It is NOT reliable, it has few surplus parts available, and poor customer service/support. This has to be the coolest, most exciting hobby I've gotten into in a long while, but I am spooked. DJI... not quite ready for prime time, baby. I own a Phantom FC40 and a P2V+, I will not purchase another DJI product, unless some things change.

Have you done the Advanced IMU calibration? When you initiate the V+ is it on level ground? I have not seen the degradation that you describe on v3.2. The updated app defaults to a higher resolution and frame rate. Some phones cannot handle it. If you lower the resolution and frame rate you should be fine. I have not seen the Tx bricking on update. Do you have an example? I fly my V+ and am very happy. Posted a video on Sunday of my flight on Saturday in 10-15mph winds.

Tahoe Ed said:
DrJoe said:
The updated app defaults to a higher resolution and frame rate. Some phones cannot handle it. If you lower the resolution and frame rate you should be fine. I have not seen the Tx bricking on update. Do you have an example? I fly my V+ and am very happy. Posted a video on Sunday of my flight on Saturday in 10-15mph winds.

Not true that lowering the frame rate you should be fine......nice if it was true, but not true! I have tried all the available frame rates.......still get a black screen.

My thoughts: I would be very disheartened were my Vision+ to crash or decide to go on walkabout, but this is a very high-tech toy we are playing with, and a single failed component can bring it all crashing down...or send it flying away apparently. While $1369 is by no means chump change, price some of the high end commercial drones that offer similar functionality. There are, unfortunately, going to be issues here and there.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl